Posted Oct 15, 2010
12:46:03 PM
View profile
Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
2,355 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(2,355)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2011 7:18:25 PM
(0)
Guru
When you thought the 90's degree weather were gone for good. Well there back for this week for the bay area.
When you thought the 90's degree weather were gone for good. Well there back for this week for the bay area.
Frankie Say... You Can find me North http://7vmy.sl.pt South http://7vn0.sl.pt East http://7vn2.sl.pt and West http://7vn3.sl.pt Soulseek ID 80newwave

Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

1411 of 2,356 (857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 8:55:44 AM
(0)
Expert

3 days in a row of heavy rain, but only an inch measured at my house; but we'll take it!

Supposed to get a cool front and be in the 80's.

3 days in a row of heavy rain, but only an inch measured at my house; but we'll take it!

Supposed to get a cool front and be in the 80's.

1412 of 2,356 (850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 12:47:55 PM
(0)
Master

No lack of precipitation here and we're 10" above normal for the year (40" instead of 30") and 3" above normal for Sept, usually one of our driest months. Remember the pipelines to Texas we discussed and would trade rain water for oil?

Sun finally came out this afternoon, after 1 1/2 days of rain, and better look quick since may not see it again until next week.

Was debating about taking my 3 window AC units out and thought maybe it would warm back up before Fall's on top of us. Looks like I better get them out since the heating season's probably here for good. :smileysad:

Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
Mostly Cloudy
72° F | 56° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
72° F | 59° F
Chance of Rain
72° F | 54° F
Chance of Rain
61° F | 49° F
Chance of Rain
65° F | 47° F
Mostly Cloudy Chance of T-storms
40% chance of precipitation
Chance of Rain
20% chance of precipitation
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain

No lack of precipitation here and we're 10" above normal for the year (40" instead of 30") and 3" above normal for Sept, usually one of our driest months. Remember the pipelines to Texas we discussed and would trade rain water for oil?

Sun finally came out this afternoon, after 1 1/2 days of rain, and better look quick since may not see it again until next week.

Was debating about taking my 3 window AC units out and thought maybe it would warm back up before Fall's on top of us. Looks like I better get them out since the heating season's probably here for good. :smileysad:

Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
Mostly Cloudy
72° F | 56° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
72° F | 59° F
Chance of Rain
72° F | 54° F
Chance of Rain
61° F | 49° F
Chance of Rain
65° F | 47° F
Mostly Cloudy Chance of T-storms
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain

1413 of 2,356 (841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 10:38:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Columbus, Oho (Uni) is 10 inches over in rainfall and just 160 or so miles west, in Indianapoluis, we are about that amount short.

That being said, we did get 1.88" of rain on Monday, which is more than was received in all of July and August!

Columbus, Oho (Uni) is 10 inches over in rainfall and just 160 or so miles west, in Indianapoluis, we are about that amount short.

That being said, we did get 1.88" of rain on Monday, which is more than was received in all of July and August!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

1414 of 2,356 (831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 12:13:49 PM
(0)
Expert

A local report said Houston needs at least 24 inches of rain to catch up for the year--not happening, IMO. :smileysad:

A local report said Houston needs at least 24 inches of rain to catch up for the year--not happening, IMO. :smileysad:

1415 of 2,356 (826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 4:38:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Maybe when the snow storms hit this winter?:smileywink:

Maybe when the snow storms hit this winter?:smileywink:

1416 of 2,356 (819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 7:18:49 PM
(0)
Expert

No snow, pleeeeze!

No snow, pleeeeze!

1417 of 2,356 (814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 8:04:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That's what I say.

That's what I say.

1418 of 2,356 (812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 8:12:17 PM
(0)
Master

99 stinking degrees tomorrow. ?(thursday)

Dennis

99 stinking degrees tomorrow. ?(thursday)

Dennis

1419 of 2,356 (809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 8:16:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Hey Show its great to see you. :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Hey Show its great to see you. :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

1420 of 2,356 (807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 9:01:20 PM
(0)
Expert

Hey, show!  I bet you think we're being wimpy in TX, complaining about our weeks of 100+ heat; y'all see that often.

Lows in the mid-high 60's next few nights...get out the electric blankets!

Hey, show!  I bet you think we're being wimpy in TX, complaining about our weeks of 100+ heat; y'all see that often.

Lows in the mid-high 60's next few nights...get out the electric blankets!

1421 of 2,356 (857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 10:00:57 PM
(0)
Master

Good to see you Show! Yeah, know your temps are high up there in the CA desert/high elevations but bet at least your relative humidity's super low. That "swamp cooler" is probably making the heat bearable. :smileywink:

Mostly Cloudy
67 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 93%

Electric blanket weather?? Gee, maybe I should be shuttin' some windows! LOL.

Actually I do have the windows partially open since I painted my woodstove/pipe in the house today and that 2000 degree black heat-paint stinks. Have to let dry it for 24 hours before firing up and then you want to talk about some real stink/fumes the first time you fire it up. Rustoleum says the fumes are harmless when first firing but also says to make sure the windows are open. No kidding, and even have to put exhaust fans in the windows!

Good to see you Show! Yeah, know your temps are high up there in the CA desert/high elevations but bet at least your relative humidity's super low. That "swamp cooler" is probably making the heat bearable. :smileywink:

Mostly Cloudy
67 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 93%

Electric blanket weather?? Gee, maybe I should be shuttin' some windows! LOL.

Actually I do have the windows partially open since I painted my woodstove/pipe in the house today and that 2000 degree black heat-paint stinks. Have to let dry it for 24 hours before firing up and then you want to talk about some real stink/fumes the first time you fire it up. Rustoleum says the fumes are harmless when first firing but also says to make sure the windows are open. No kidding, and even have to put exhaust fans in the windows!

1422 of 2,356 (848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2011 9:07:45 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Sep 22, 2011 at 9:10:07 AM

Actually, the electric blanket doesn't come out until it's in the 30's or lower.  Problem is cooler temps in the house give my CPAP mask a chill, then my nose gets stuffier. 

Found a large gap between a window and frame, another job done badly by a contractor over 20 yrs. ago!  Looks like they overcut, then just filled with caulk; it's just now that it has separated to large gap.

They're predicting more rain here, we'll see!

Actually, the electric blanket doesn't come out until it's in the 30's or lower.  Problem is cooler temps in the house give my CPAP mask a chill, then my nose gets stuffier. 

Found a large gap between a window and frame, another job done badly by a contractor over 20 yrs. ago!  Looks like they overcut, then just filled with caulk; it's just now that it has separated to large gap.

They're predicting more rain here, we'll see!

[ Edited ]
1423 of 2,356 (841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2011 5:50:25 PM
(0)
Employee
Started wearing long pants when it turned cold a few days ago. This morning I noticed it was already 71 before 6 am so it was a nice day for shorts.
Started wearing long pants when it turned cold a few days ago. This morning I noticed it was already 71 before 6 am so it was a nice day for shorts.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

1424 of 2,356 (832 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2011 9:45:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There are people who wear shorts here when the temnps are in the single digits. :smileysurprised:  I wouldn't want to have their knees when they start getting up in age.

There are people who wear shorts here when the temnps are in the single digits. :smileysurprised:  I wouldn't want to have their knees when they start getting up in age.

1425 of 2,356 (826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2011 10:10:42 PM
(0)
Expert

LOL!  We can always spot the *foreigners* in Houston because they're wearing shorts when it gets really cold!

LOL!  We can always spot the *foreigners* in Houston because they're wearing shorts when it gets really cold!

1426 of 2,356 (825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 1:57:36 AM
(0)
Master
i can promise you no snow in our forecast.
Dennis
i can promise you no snow in our forecast.
Dennis

1427 of 2,356 (823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 2:07:55 AM
(0)
Master

no swamp cooler for me, strickly central air.oh by the way  my wife is headed to san deigo this weekend i'll have her shout out loudly hi from you. 

Dennis

no swamp cooler for me, strickly central air.oh by the way  my wife is headed to san deigo this weekend i'll have her shout out loudly hi from you. 

Dennis

1428 of 2,356 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 8:13:17 AM
(0)
Master

Thanks Dennis and I'll have my daughter in SD give a loud shout right back! :smileyhappy:

I kind of figured you didn't have a swamp cooler anymore but I do remember a couple years ago when you explained to me what one was, in the forum wee hours, and I never heard of them before. :smileywink:

Hope you haven't had any disasters lately like the 500 gal hot water tank next door rupturing/flooding your apartment or your TV's catching fire. LOL, but it sure wasn't funny at the time.

No short weather here until probably next Spring. Believe I've told this story before where I worked with a kid from MN in the parks here and he wore shorts here all winter. He said our winters were nothing compared to MN but it sure made us even cold looking at him shoveling snow while wearing shorts when below 20 degrees. :smileysurprised:

He was in natural resources, doing a student internship, and decided to relocate here permanently. I asked him why and he said 2 words, "big trees!". He went on to explain where he lived on the Canadian border it was so cold the trees didn't even grow, and were all short/stunted, due to the super cold winters. Wow, that's cold!

It's going to be a cool/wet week here and the rain is really bringing the leaves down.

Light Rain
55 °F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 94%

Thanks Dennis and I'll have my daughter in SD give a loud shout right back! :smileyhappy:

I kind of figured you didn't have a swamp cooler anymore but I do remember a couple years ago when you explained to me what one was, in the forum wee hours, and I never heard of them before. :smileywink:

Hope you haven't had any disasters lately like the 500 gal hot water tank next door rupturing/flooding your apartment or your TV's catching fire. LOL, but it sure wasn't funny at the time.

No short weather here until probably next Spring. Believe I've told this story before where I worked with a kid from MN in the parks here and he wore shorts here all winter. He said our winters were nothing compared to MN but it sure made us even cold looking at him shoveling snow while wearing shorts when below 20 degrees. :smileysurprised:

He was in natural resources, doing a student internship, and decided to relocate here permanently. I asked him why and he said 2 words, "big trees!". He went on to explain where he lived on the Canadian border it was so cold the trees didn't even grow, and were all short/stunted, due to the super cold winters. Wow, that's cold!

It's going to be a cool/wet week here and the rain is really bringing the leaves down.

Light Rain
55 °F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 94%

1429 of 2,356 (817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2011 4:47:22 PM
(0)
Employee
Not sure the swamp cooler will work very well east of the Mississippi. I had heard of them but the first place I saw one in action was at the house I rented a room while in school near Denver, CO. Humidity was high if it was above 10%. I think when it was raining it only got to 20%. LOL
Not sure the swamp cooler will work very well east of the Mississippi. I had heard of them but the first place I saw one in action was at the house I rented a room while in school near Denver, CO. Humidity was high if it was above 10%. I think when it was raining it only got to 20%. LOL
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

1430 of 2,356 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2011 9:58:53 AM
(0)
Master

Agree SKP that the swamp coolers/evaporators are mainly used in high elevation/dry climates.

Real wet start to the week and we are supposed to receive 1 1/2" - 2" of rain today. As of yesterday we had received 5.12" of rain which is 3" above normal for Sept, one of our drier months.

It's also raining leaves and they are starting to change color. You would think the trees would continue to grow with all the rain but actually the leaf color/leaf drop is triggered mainly by the longer dark nights.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/pubs/leaves/leaves.shtm

Our fall color normally peaks about the 3rd week of October. A really beautiful time of year and the Sugar Maples here are without a doubt the most spectacular colored with their bright yellow/orange/red leaves.

Here's a pretty neat video (30 sec, no sound) of a rare waterspout near Milwaukee, WI, that formed over Lake Michigan. Waterspouts are very rare on the Great Lakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-brSsthgg

Agree SKP that the swamp coolers/evaporators are mainly used in high elevation/dry climates.

Real wet start to the week and we are supposed to receive 1 1/2" - 2" of rain today. As of yesterday we had received 5.12" of rain which is 3" above normal for Sept, one of our drier months.

It's also raining leaves and they are starting to change color. You would think the trees would continue to grow with all the rain but actually the leaf color/leaf drop is triggered mainly by the longer dark nights.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/pubs/leaves/leaves.shtm

Our fall color normally peaks about the 3rd week of October. A really beautiful time of year and the Sugar Maples here are without a doubt the most spectacular colored with their bright yellow/orange/red leaves.

Here's a pretty neat video (30 sec, no sound) of a rare waterspout near Milwaukee, WI, that formed over Lake Michigan. Waterspouts are very rare on the Great Lakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ-brSsthgg

1431 of 2,356 (845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 4:05:49 PM
(0)
Expert

Very nice, and we get too much sun during winter for major color changes. 

Well, record heat still, but dark clouds and distant thunder now.  I've already got huge branches dropping off the 2 Red Oak trees now, all I need is high winds. :smileysad:  I think the acorns are too heavy, they are bigger (green) than I've ever seen them before!

And car cover fell apart yesterday, so that's just great.  But, we need the rain, so I'll shut up now...  I'm in the path.

...Significant weather advisory...

At 535 PM CDT...National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a
strong thunderstorm 10 miles northwest of Katy...moving southeast at
5 mph.

Pea size hail...winds up to 50 mph...are possible with this storm.

Locations in the path of this storm include...Katy.

Gusty winds may cause small tree branches to be broken...and
unsecured objects to blow around. Seek shelter in a sturdy structure
or non-convertible automobile until this storm has passed.

Very nice, and we get too much sun during winter for major color changes. 

Well, record heat still, but dark clouds and distant thunder now.  I've already got huge branches dropping off the 2 Red Oak trees now, all I need is high winds. :smileysad:  I think the acorns are too heavy, they are bigger (green) than I've ever seen them before!

And car cover fell apart yesterday, so that's just great.  But, we need the rain, so I'll shut up now...  I'm in the path.

...Significant weather advisory...

At 535 PM CDT...National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a
strong thunderstorm 10 miles northwest of Katy...moving southeast at
5 mph.

Pea size hail...winds up to 50 mph...are possible with this storm.

Locations in the path of this storm include...Katy.

Gusty winds may cause small tree branches to be broken...and
unsecured objects to blow around. Seek shelter in a sturdy structure
or non-convertible automobile until this storm has passed.

1432 of 2,356 (839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 4:41:20 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 27, 2011 at 4:43:07 PM
Spd, you tell everyone the good news abou diamonds falling from the Houston skies last wk and hopefully this Friday'? Rain is a precious mineral, a rare liquid gem out here!
Spd, you tell everyone the good news abou diamonds falling from the Houston skies last wk and hopefully this Friday'? Rain is a precious mineral, a rare liquid gem out here!
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

[ Edited ]
1433 of 2,356 (833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 6:17:40 PM
(0)
Expert
It's been on for about an hr. here, just started being steadily heavier. I actually had to stop the car and just look at the wild lightning--it was splayed out everywhere.

Went out to get fuel, and people were commenting about the rain, LOL! What's this stuff called?

Now if only my quick search for a car cover had been successful. :smileysad:
It's been on for about an hr. here, just started being steadily heavier. I actually had to stop the car and just look at the wild lightning--it was splayed out everywhere.

Went out to get fuel, and people were commenting about the rain, LOL! What's this stuff called?

Now if only my quick search for a car cover had been successful. :smileysad:

1434 of 2,356 (826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 9:32:53 PM
(0)
Master

Glad you guys are finally getting some rain.

It's been raining so much here I can't even get the firewood ordered delivered because the guy's dump truck will make big ruts in the yard. But I better not wait too long because look below at the temps for our upcoming weekend. Almost looks like a sure bet for frost if it ends up in the real low 30's Sat. night.

Luckily I still have about a cord (4'x4'x8' close stack) of seasoned wood left from last year. But will need to buy/cut about 5 more cords if I don't want to buy fuel oil for the 3rd year in a row. Some super cold/snowy winters I've burned up to 7-8 cords and that's a killer/lots of hard work which is almost getting to be too much. Too bad diesel fuel/home heating oil costs don't drop the same as gas is now while heading into the cold weather months. :smileysad:

Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Chance of Rain
68° F | 50° F
Chance of Rain
68° F | 47° F
Chance of Rain
58° F | 41° F
Mostly Cloudy
52° F | 34° F
Clear
56° F | 38° F
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain
Mostly Cloudy Clear

Glad you guys are finally getting some rain.

It's been raining so much here I can't even get the firewood ordered delivered because the guy's dump truck will make big ruts in the yard. But I better not wait too long because look below at the temps for our upcoming weekend. Almost looks like a sure bet for frost if it ends up in the real low 30's Sat. night.

Luckily I still have about a cord (4'x4'x8' close stack) of seasoned wood left from last year. But will need to buy/cut about 5 more cords if I don't want to buy fuel oil for the 3rd year in a row. Some super cold/snowy winters I've burned up to 7-8 cords and that's a killer/lots of hard work which is almost getting to be too much. Too bad diesel fuel/home heating oil costs don't drop the same as gas is now while heading into the cold weather months. :smileysad:

Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Chance of Rain
68° F | 50° F
Chance of Rain
68° F | 47° F
Chance of Rain
58° F | 41° F
Mostly Cloudy
52° F | 34° F
Clear
56° F | 38° F
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain
Mostly Cloudy Clear

1435 of 2,356 (813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 9:54:03 PM
(0)
Expert

It was a drop in the bucket, and think it was only far west and nw of Houston that got any.

How do you keep the bag bugs out of that woodpile?

Too early, for the thirties! :smileysad:

It was a drop in the bucket, and think it was only far west and nw of Houston that got any.

How do you keep the bag bugs out of that woodpile?

Too early, for the thirties! :smileysad:

1436 of 2,356 (812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 5:55:39 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by jfw on Sep 28, 2011 at 5:56:37 AM

It's been raining off and on here for 5 straight days, there's a "cut off " low pressure that's been parked overhead since last Friday. Rains for an hour, sun comes out for an hour and so on. There were 6 reported water spouts just off the Lake Michigan shore last Saturday. Supposed to be all cleared out by this Saturday with highs only in the 50's,picked up 2 inches of rain since Friday.

It's been raining off and on here for 5 straight days, there's a "cut off " low pressure that's been parked overhead since last Friday. Rains for an hour, sun comes out for an hour and so on. There were 6 reported water spouts just off the Lake Michigan shore last Saturday. Supposed to be all cleared out by this Saturday with highs only in the 50's,picked up 2 inches of rain since Friday.

[ Edited ]
1437 of 2,356 (809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 8:00:58 AM
(0)
Expert

Just strange all over. :smileysad:

I'm hoping for a milder winter for us all (than last year)!  Say NO to SNOW! :smileyvery-happy:

Just strange all over. :smileysad:

I'm hoping for a milder winter for us all (than last year)!  Say NO to SNOW! :smileyvery-happy:

1438 of 2,356 (805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 8:17:25 AM
(0)
Professor

Here's a link to the Climate Predictation Center's Nov.-Dec.-Jan. outlook for the country. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=2

Here's a link to the Climate Predictation Center's Nov.-Dec.-Jan. outlook for the country. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=2

1439 of 2,356 (801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 8:27:47 AM
(0)
Expert

Looks good for most, not so for TX. :smileysad:  We cannot afford to lose more trees, and I'm betting not much rain is in store.

We need to find a way to do weather-swapping.

Looks good for most, not so for TX. :smileysad:  We cannot afford to lose more trees, and I'm betting not much rain is in store.

We need to find a way to do weather-swapping.

1440 of 2,356 (798 Views)