Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 15, 2010
12:46:03 PM
View profile
Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

2,355 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2,355)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 11:19:43 AM
(0)
Expert

Interesting!

Are you seeing more squirrels squirreling nuts away as well?

Interesting!

Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

31 of 2,356 (1,295 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 11:20:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

Calling for snow here this weekend.. not ready for it or looking forward to it...need to get my roof done...working evreyday lately has kept me from getting other projects done.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Calling for snow here this weekend.. not ready for it or looking forward to it...need to get my roof done...working evreyday lately has kept me from getting other projects done.

32 of 2,356 (1,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 11:27:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

RCSMG wrote:

One thing is for sure.  We will definitely find out this winter.

Just heard on WWJ, yesterday, colder and wetter this winter for metro Detroit.  According to NOAA, greater than 33% wetter conditons, Jan, Feb, Mar. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

RCSMG wrote:

One thing is for sure.  We will definitely find out this winter.

Just heard on WWJ, yesterday, colder and wetter this winter for metro Detroit.  According to NOAA, greater than 33% wetter conditons, Jan, Feb, Mar. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

33 of 2,356 (1,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 11:30:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Take it with another grain of salt ladies and gentlemen.

Take it with another grain of salt ladies and gentlemen.

34 of 2,356 (1,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 11:39:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'd say squirrel activity is about normal.  But I guess I should ask Belle, she has more time to watch them than I.

I'd say squirrel activity is about normal.  But I guess I should ask Belle, she has more time to watch them than I.

35 of 2,356 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 11:50:51 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

spd2demun wrote:

Interesting!

My puppy sure has been eating acorns like they're going out of style. He'd like to eat the squirrels too but they stay out of reach so far.

spd2demun wrote:

Interesting!

My puppy sure has been eating acorns like they're going out of style. He'd like to eat the squirrels too but they stay out of reach so far.

36 of 2,356 (1,271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 5:51:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Rain is coming, rain is coming. Actually looking forward to it!  There is some rain in the forecast from Sunday on through late next week.  Tuesday may feature all day rain.  One weatherman said that there has not been this much rain forecast, since June! Smiley Surprised

Rain is coming, rain is coming. Actually looking forward to it!  There is some rain in the forecast from Sunday on through late next week.  Tuesday may feature all day rain.  One weatherman said that there has not been this much rain forecast, since June! Smiley Surprised

37 of 2,356 (1,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 11:01:22 PM
(0)
Master

Yeah Dave, same rainy weather forecast for here. Need to blow/rake more leave but what's the use? The rain will knock them off big time.

Not seeing lots of squirrels around like I normally do. Maybe they already stripped the walnuts off all the trees in my yard or it was a poor year for walnuts. I don't think it was a bad year though since other parts of Ohio are having a bumper crop of black walnuts. So my guess is they have their dens stocked up already big time. Nasty winter forecast? We will see but could be a good indicator.

Speaking of nuts. Most don't know one of the Whitetail deer's favorite foods are acorns. Particularly White Oak acorns since they are less bitter than Red Oaks, and other oaks. If you're in an area inhabited by deer, and have White Oak trees around, you are bound to see deer this time of year. 

The weather report said it won't be as cold tonight as last night/morning (28 degrees). But it's already down to 36 and that sure isn't any heat wave. At least it will be 75 and sunny later today. Smiley Happy

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

Yeah Dave, same rainy weather forecast for here. Need to blow/rake more leave but what's the use? The rain will knock them off big time.

Not seeing lots of squirrels around like I normally do. Maybe they already stripped the walnuts off all the trees in my yard or it was a poor year for walnuts. I don't think it was a bad year though since other parts of Ohio are having a bumper crop of black walnuts. So my guess is they have their dens stocked up already big time. Nasty winter forecast? We will see but could be a good indicator.

Speaking of nuts. Most don't know one of the Whitetail deer's favorite foods are acorns. Particularly White Oak acorns since they are less bitter than Red Oaks, and other oaks. If you're in an area inhabited by deer, and have White Oak trees around, you are bound to see deer this time of year. 

The weather report said it won't be as cold tonight as last night/morning (28 degrees). But it's already down to 36 and that sure isn't any heat wave. At least it will be 75 and sunny later today. Smiley Happy

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

38 of 2,356 (1,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 1:14:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

IMO the people in Texas are in good shape.  You all have unseasonal warm weather these days.  Now is the time I could begin packing for my move to the south for the winter.

IMO the people in Texas are in good shape.  You all have unseasonal warm weather these days.  Now is the time I could begin packing for my move to the south for the winter.

39 of 2,356 (1,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 8:25:59 PM
(0)
Expert

Yeah, has been really nice weather here!  Hot again today, but not humid.

I think hotter-than-usual summer = colder-than-usual winter. Smiley Sad

Wish I could get some deer in the yard to eat the acorns so the raccoons wouldn't dig up the yard, looking for the ones the squirrels have buried! Smiley Very Happy

Will try to snap a photo next time the little guy comes up to torment Belle. Smiley Wink

Yeah, has been really nice weather here!  Hot again today, but not humid.

I think hotter-than-usual summer = colder-than-usual winter. Smiley Sad

Wish I could get some deer in the yard to eat the acorns so the raccoons wouldn't dig up the yard, looking for the ones the squirrels have buried! Smiley Very Happy

Will try to snap a photo next time the little guy comes up to torment Belle. Smiley Wink

40 of 2,356 (1,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 9:14:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Had some pretty nasty weather in the DFW area today.  At least two tornado warnings and a few flash flood warnings.  We were at a small deficit for the year, may not be after today though.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Had some pretty nasty weather in the DFW area today.  At least two tornado warnings and a few flash flood warnings.  We were at a small deficit for the year, may not be after today though.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

41 of 2,356 (1,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 9:47:18 PM
(0)
Expert

I just read about that in skeeter's thread about her outage!  Haven't looked at the news today.  Feast or Famine. Smiley Sad  So dry here, but don't want a tornado just to get rain.

Sounds like all in DFW were safe on our forum?

I just read about that in skeeter's thread about her outage!  Haven't looked at the news today.  Feast or Famine. Smiley Sad  So dry here, but don't want a tornado just to get rain.

Sounds like all in DFW were safe on our forum?

42 of 2,356 (1,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 9:55:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'm fine.  No problems in my neck of the woods.  Smiley Happy

I'm fine.  No problems in my neck of the woods.  Smiley Happy

43 of 2,356 (1,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 9:56:53 PM
(0)
Expert

Good to hear, don't want any of our fellow Texans to be harmed. Smiley Wink

Good to hear, don't want any of our fellow Texans to be harmed. Smiley Wink

44 of 2,356 (1,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 10:58:44 PM
(0)
Master

They're back.... Asian Lady Beetles that is. Was 71 today and they came in droves. Wasn't even sunny or would have been even worse. We'll see if the insecticide I had to spray the whole outside of the house with about a week ago works. Sure wasn't having much effect as they were crawling all over the S. side of the house.

Have those real old inefficient aluminum storm windows, with single screen, which slide up and down in tracks. Have to use clear packing tape on inside of aluminum frame to keep cold air and bugs out. As the beetles were crawling all over the outside glass I was watching real close to see how in the heck they get through the cracks. Put a little more tape/rope caulking here and there. Absolutely impossible to see how they get in between the storm windows and inside windows. Finally gave up and sprayed insecticide on the aluminum/wooden window frames which will hopefully do them in.

Hey Spd, not sure you would want the deer in your yard eating acorns since you like flowers/plants. You think raccoons can do some damage. In addition to the deer eating everything the bucks also like to tear up the trees with their antlers this time of year. They literally shred the bark off of the small oaks around here.

Reminds me of a funny story when I was working for the parks. A neighbor reported he found signs of a bear along his property line in the woods. Went over there and he showed me what looked like huge bear claw marks on a tree and they were about 8'-10' off of the ground. It was only about 3"-4" dia maple tree. I brushed back the leaves and showed him huge hoof marks from the rear feet of a big buck. Here the buck had bent the tree clear over, make the gouges with his antler tips, and then the tree stood back up straight when he took his weight off of it. The neighbor was satisfied with the explanation. No bear.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be 75 and really nice temps for this time of year.

PS. glad you Texans made it thought the storms ok. Smiley Wink 

Uniblurb3

They're back.... Asian Lady Beetles that is. Was 71 today and they came in droves. Wasn't even sunny or would have been even worse. We'll see if the insecticide I had to spray the whole outside of the house with about a week ago works. Sure wasn't having much effect as they were crawling all over the S. side of the house.

Have those real old inefficient aluminum storm windows, with single screen, which slide up and down in tracks. Have to use clear packing tape on inside of aluminum frame to keep cold air and bugs out. As the beetles were crawling all over the outside glass I was watching real close to see how in the heck they get through the cracks. Put a little more tape/rope caulking here and there. Absolutely impossible to see how they get in between the storm windows and inside windows. Finally gave up and sprayed insecticide on the aluminum/wooden window frames which will hopefully do them in.

Hey Spd, not sure you would want the deer in your yard eating acorns since you like flowers/plants. You think raccoons can do some damage. In addition to the deer eating everything the bucks also like to tear up the trees with their antlers this time of year. They literally shred the bark off of the small oaks around here.

Reminds me of a funny story when I was working for the parks. A neighbor reported he found signs of a bear along his property line in the woods. Went over there and he showed me what looked like huge bear claw marks on a tree and they were about 8'-10' off of the ground. It was only about 3"-4" dia maple tree. I brushed back the leaves and showed him huge hoof marks from the rear feet of a big buck. Here the buck had bent the tree clear over, make the gouges with his antler tips, and then the tree stood back up straight when he took his weight off of it. The neighbor was satisfied with the explanation. No bear.

Uniblurb3

45 of 2,356 (1,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 11:19:04 PM
(0)
Expert

Yeah, I guess wildlife and man-made outdoors don't mix. Smiley Sad

Maybe they are like our cockroaches, Teflon bodies that can slink through the tiniest cracks?

Yeah, I guess wildlife and man-made outdoors don't mix. Smiley Sad

Maybe they are like our cockroaches, Teflon bodies that can slink through the tiniest cracks?

46 of 2,356 (1,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 11:47:42 PM
(0)
Master

Yeah, pretty amazing what small spaces/hole creatures can squeeze through.

Have to really watch my plexiglass squirrel-proof bird feed and make sure the sunflower seed doesn't get too low. These darn chickadee's can squeeze through a 1/2" square hole, which lets the seed out, and they get stuck flying around in the empty feeder. Opened the lid and let one out today.

Uniblurb3

Yeah, pretty amazing what small spaces/hole creatures can squeeze through.

Have to really watch my plexiglass squirrel-proof bird feed and make sure the sunflower seed doesn't get too low. These darn chickadee's can squeeze through a 1/2" square hole, which lets the seed out, and they get stuck flying around in the empty feeder. Opened the lid and let one out today.

Uniblurb3

47 of 2,356 (1,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 9:36:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

We have a couple of warmer days here in Detroit.  Yesterday it was in the 70s and today (Monday) it is supposed to reach 76 degrees.  Me like!Smiley Very Happy

We have a couple of warmer days here in Detroit.  Yesterday it was in the 70s and today (Monday) it is supposed to reach 76 degrees.  Me like!Smiley Very Happy

48 of 2,356 (1,237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 10:20:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Supposed to be almost 90 here today and then back down to the mid/upper 70's the rest of the week here in Dallas.  Strange weather we are having lately. A couple of tornados in the area on Saturday and lots of rain.

Supposed to be almost 90 here today and then back down to the mid/upper 70's the rest of the week here in Dallas.  Strange weather we are having lately. A couple of tornados in the area on Saturday and lots of rain.

49 of 2,356 (1,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 11:33:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:34:51 AM

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Uni - We had really good luck with Ortho Home Defender MAX (Insect Killer) Granules.  We sprinkled around the foundation of the house, waited per the directions and watered it with a garden hose (or watering can, elsewhere).  We applied it in early July and we do not see the "parade of pests" trying to get into our house through the garage.  It must have also knocked out our annual "Riley Days" bug infestation.  I'm not sure what they are (were?) but thousands of these fuzzy black flying bugs would hatch out in early October, usually in the time frame of the Riley Days festival in nearby Greenfield which is held in honor of poet and author James Whitcomb Riley.  These bugs hatch out all within a day or three, in the mulch and they fly about 3-10' up the brick facade, where they die in just a day or two.  They were everywhere but not this year.  So maybe the Ortho stuff, works.

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Uni - We had really good luck with Ortho Home Defender MAX (Insect Killer) Granules.  We sprinkled around the foundation of the house, waited per the directions and watered it with a garden hose (or watering can, elsewhere).  We applied it in early July and we do not see the "parade of pests" trying to get into our house through the garage.  It must have also knocked out our annual "Riley Days" bug infestation.  I'm not sure what they are (were?) but thousands of these fuzzy black flying bugs would hatch out in early October, usually in the time frame of the Riley Days festival in nearby Greenfield which is held in honor of poet and author James Whitcomb Riley.  These bugs hatch out all within a day or three, in the mulch and they fly about 3-10' up the brick facade, where they die in just a day or two.  They were everywhere but not this year.  So maybe the Ortho stuff, works.

[ Edited ]
50 of 2,356 (1,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2010 4:39:54 PM
(0)
Professor

We went to a cider mill in St Johns, MI yesterday. Left from our house in Taylor, weather was nice sunny in the 70's. When we got back, we could see that it rained in Oakland and Wayne Counties. Good for us that we missed the rain.

We went to a cider mill in St Johns, MI yesterday. Left from our house in Taylor, weather was nice sunny in the 70's. When we got back, we could see that it rained in Oakland and Wayne Counties. Good for us that we missed the rain.

51 of 2,356 (1,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2010 7:10:21 PM
(0)
Employee

At 10PM it is still 72° here.  It has been going down to the 40's lately what a difference.

At 10PM it is still 72° here.  It has been going down to the 40's lately what a difference.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

52 of 2,356 (1,284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2010 8:08:36 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

It was still 80 at 10pm here. It was mid 90s today with high humidity. Looking forward to the weekend when its back to Fall weather.

It was still 80 at 10pm here. It was mid 90s today with high humidity. Looking forward to the weekend when its back to Fall weather.

53 of 2,356 (1,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2010 9:00:31 PM
(0)
Professor

wendigo wrote:

Are you in south Florida?

wendigo wrote:

Are you in south Florida?

54 of 2,356 (1,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2010 2:40:23 AM
(0)
Master

dhascall/Dave, thanks for the tip on Ortho Home Defense products and that's actually the insecticide I'm spraying on my wooden window frames. It's real effective on taking out the lady beetles and leaves a long lasting barrier. Using Spectracide "Bug Stop" on the outside of the house and spray with a garden hose type sprayer. It's also effective but don't think it lasts as long as they say it does (6 weeks).

Not a good day for weather yesterday with three F-0 tornados touching down in Central Ohio. Damage was real spotty with a metal barn, garage and trees taken down.

Went to my uncle's funeral in Canton, Ohio the past couple days. Sure wasn't fun driving my Mom's car home yesterday (130 miles) in 60mph winds and torrential rains. When we reached my brothers in NW Columbus the sun came out for just a few minutes, as it was going down, and saw a double rainbow. Then headed right back into the storm driving SE of Columbus in the dark and rain. Yuk. Smiley Sad

Supposed to be 70 and windy today with another cold front rolling in tonight. Will be much colder the rest of the week with high's in the mid-50's and low 30's at night. Calling for heavy frost and 32 Fri morning.

Uniblurb3

dhascall/Dave, thanks for the tip on Ortho Home Defense products and that's actually the insecticide I'm spraying on my wooden window frames. It's real effective on taking out the lady beetles and leaves a long lasting barrier. Using Spectracide "Bug Stop" on the outside of the house and spray with a garden hose type sprayer. It's also effective but don't think it lasts as long as they say it does (6 weeks).

Not a good day for weather yesterday with three F-0 tornados touching down in Central Ohio. Damage was real spotty with a metal barn, garage and trees taken down.

Went to my uncle's funeral in Canton, Ohio the past couple days. Sure wasn't fun driving my Mom's car home yesterday (130 miles) in 60mph winds and torrential rains. When we reached my brothers in NW Columbus the sun came out for just a few minutes, as it was going down, and saw a double rainbow. Then headed right back into the storm driving SE of Columbus in the dark and rain. Yuk. Smiley Sad

Supposed to be 70 and windy today with another cold front rolling in tonight. Will be much colder the rest of the week with high's in the mid-50's and low 30's at night. Calling for heavy frost and 32 Fri morning.

Uniblurb3

55 of 2,356 (1,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2010 7:40:07 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

North Florida Smiley Wink

56 of 2,356 (1,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2010 8:12:57 AM
(0)
Professor

wendigo wrote:

We're planning to go down to South Florida (WPB area) after the first of the year a do some house hunting. Had enough of the miserable Chicago winters.

wendigo wrote:

We're planning to go down to South Florida (WPB area) after the first of the year a do some house hunting. Had enough of the miserable Chicago winters.

57 of 2,356 (1,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2010 9:53:04 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

I know what you mean. We moved here 2 years ago from the DC area. Every year I grew less tolerant of the ice storms, sleet, snow and months at a time of grey skies. Not only are the mild winters nice, there are seriously less than 7-10 days a year where you don't see the sun.

I know what you mean. We moved here 2 years ago from the DC area. Every year I grew less tolerant of the ice storms, sleet, snow and months at a time of grey skies. Not only are the mild winters nice, there are seriously less than 7-10 days a year where you don't see the sun.

58 of 2,356 (1,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2010 10:23:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I was at Camp Atterbury, yesterday for training and a site visit.   I was hoping for a postponement of the visit on a day when we were not in the 70 percentile range for severe weather but we made it.  Camp Atterbury, about 25 miles south of Indianapolis is one of the nations top mobilization / demobilization sites in the country.  We were going through many of the buildings when the tornado sirens sounded.  Finally a Lt. Colonel marshaled everyone to the gym.  A facility with a high, trussed roof is not what I would call a safe area but we got the "all clear" in less than 15 minutes.  I think that every county from north-to-south along the line of storms was under the warning.  All in all there were 8 confirmed tornadoes.  They say that the low pressure system is one of the two strongest in history - the other?  The blizzard of 78. Smiley Surprised  As I told folks, good thing that it wasn't snow.

I was at Camp Atterbury, yesterday for training and a site visit.   I was hoping for a postponement of the visit on a day when we were not in the 70 percentile range for severe weather but we made it.  Camp Atterbury, about 25 miles south of Indianapolis is one of the nations top mobilization / demobilization sites in the country.  We were going through many of the buildings when the tornado sirens sounded.  Finally a Lt. Colonel marshaled everyone to the gym.  A facility with a high, trussed roof is not what I would call a safe area but we got the "all clear" in less than 15 minutes.  I think that every county from north-to-south along the line of storms was under the warning.  All in all there were 8 confirmed tornadoes.  They say that the low pressure system is one of the two strongest in history - the other?  The blizzard of 78. Smiley Surprised  As I told folks, good thing that it wasn't snow.

59 of 2,356 (1,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2010 11:01:30 AM
(0)
Professor

We had a couple of confirmed tornadoes too around the Chicago area yesterday, destroyed a few houses but nobody seriously hurt. Been putting up with high winds too 50 - 60 mph gusts, lots of branches down.

I was chatting with someone from North Dakota on another site and they are currently under a blizzard warning. :smileysad:

We had a couple of confirmed tornadoes too around the Chicago area yesterday, destroyed a few houses but nobody seriously hurt. Been putting up with high winds too 50 - 60 mph gusts, lots of branches down.

I was chatting with someone from North Dakota on another site and they are currently under a blizzard warning. :smileysad:

60 of 2,356 (1,196 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments