Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Is U-verse Going Away

Is U-verse Going Away

Keep getting alot of posts on Facebook that U-verse is going away.  Any truth to this?

Message 1 of 23
ACE - Expert

Re: Is U-verse Going Away

There are posts here that say that it is.

There are other posts that say we don't know.  These are the accurate posts.

AT&T has to show that buying DIRECTV wasn't a mistake, so there is a big push on to sell DIRECTV service; lots of incentives for the sales people to sell it.  Not much in the way of incentives to sell U-verse TV.

AT&T has stated that they're going to consolidate the DIRECTV and U-verse TV gear to a single common platform.  There are other rumours that the DIRECTV and U-verse TV names may be going away in favor of a new common name.  That wouldn't surprise me.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 23
Mentor

I am less sanguine than than the reply posted. The post I read pointed out the ATT has stopped making U-verse set top boxes. That indicates to me that they are proceeding with a shutdown. I wish ATT would gives us a timeline for this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-16/at-t-takes-u-turn-on-u-verse-as-it-pushes-users-to...

Message 3 of 23

As do I, perhaps they can combine all of this together with Direct TV.  A timeframe would indeed be most helpful.

Message 4 of 23
Expert

scottshiv wrote:

I am less sanguine than than the reply posted. The post I read pointed out the ATT has stopped making U-verse set top boxes. That indicates to me that they are proceeding with a shutdown. I wish ATT would gives us a timeline for this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-16/at-t-takes-u-turn-on-u-verse-as-it-pushes-users-to...

They left out the quote from ATT rep that stated no one will be forced to DirecTV.  If you want or need (trees/buildings in the way) to stay on Uverse TV you can and they are not shutting it down. But it will be changing in the near future. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 5 of 23
Visitor

If Uverse is going away and satellite replaces it I will have to cancel cable and go to Sling or other such option.  I like Uverse but hate satellite.

Message 6 of 23
Visitor

. uverse tv is directv. i think.i heard U VERSE enternet mite be going away.if to what

Message 7 of 23
Visitor

Pushing everybody towards DirecTV DirecTV cost the customer on average about 30 to $40 a month less then the U-verse platform some customers are seeing upwards to 100 to $110 a month less besides the monetary amount is also the fact that you can get actual 1080 and 4k on the live channels and not just stuff you get online Panda DVRs batter has more recordings and they're all HD no more standard def channels.
Message 8 of 23
Visitor

It is still satellite delivery.  I had a very undesirable experience with Dish and do not ever want satellite again.  If I have to, I will switch to Sling or similar option.
Message 9 of 23
Observer

We have noticed some issues with U-verse performance. A tech came out and insisted we needed to upgrade our hub and cable. Now the cable is running through the middle of our back yard and up the side of the house with a box halfway up attached to the brick siding. The tech was the size of a football player and I guess he convinced my husband this was best, instead of the attic. Wrong. 

We have had 3 different TV/Internet and 2 different security companies run cables/wires through the attic. 

Practicing being calm to call ATT and request the cable be removed and replaced professionally. 

We have used Comcast, DirectTV and finally U-verse - checked online for a year to find when we were eligible. U-verse was the best reception. DirecTV had the best DVR functionality- except number of channels at one time. Comcast had poor performance and customer service. 

The U-verse is my husbands bill and the cell phones are mine, we do not qualify for a bundle. 

Whilst I am calming myself, I will be working on plan B which does not include Direct 📺. 

The neighbors have always had Comcast. Maybe the service has improved and I will dump ATT before they dump U-verse and me. 

Message 10 of 23
Contributor

A relative who works for them told me a year ago that was going to happen, and also we U-verse customers were going to see all kinds of issues with service due to our company trying to force us to their satellite usage instead.

P.S. Iam intentionally not using names they have edited somethings I said today that they did not like apparently... said I was deflamatory and using abbreviations, I thought I was being good and nice...but yes I heard that too

Message 11 of 23
Scholar

If reports from the buisness news industry are true, such as the below article from Bloomberg Business, then satellites are going away in the next few years. It won't be called Uverse any longer but I'd guess that the new DirecTV Now will be closer to Uverse than satellite.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-22/at-t-said-to-plan-web-streaming-as-primary-tv-pla...

Message 12 of 23

In regards to AT&T shutting down U-verse TV, here are several articles online about this:

AT&T is Getting Rid of the U-Verse Brand

AT&T is phasing out the U-verse voice, broadband brand

AT&T to stop investing in U-verse CPE, will move to new in-home architecture using DirecTV system

AT&T Takes U-Turn on U-Verse as It Pushes Users Toward DirecTV

AT&T may shutter U-verse website, report says

There are two reasons why AT&T is doing this for. Reason One is because of their acquisition of Direc TV and number two; by moving subscribers from Internet Protocol TV (meaning that the service was provided by their Internet connection) over to one that is provided via satellite, AT&T is able to save valuable bandwidth on it's IP networks because it does not have to deliver HD TV programming content over it's IP network and they can redirect that bandwidth into signing up and bringing in more customers to it's Internet service. Users who have both Direc TV and AT&T's Internet service will still be able to use Direc TV's on demand service since it requires an Internet connection to communication your intentions back to Direc TV's servers. Most of the newer Direc TV receivers also now have a wi-fi card built into to them that connects wirlessly to your Internet gateway. It is also cheaper for AT&T to provide their TV service via satellite then over their IP network for bandwidth reasons in that it results in lessor congestion on their IP networks. I'm not sure about AT&T's U-verse phone service, but since AT&T has been delivering that service over the same IP networks that it was their TV service, and voice service doesn't require that much bandwidth, AT&T will probably leave their voice service as it is now delivered via your home Internet gateway. Just with a different brand name.  This is all in the name of increasing the much valuable bandwidth available on their networks which could bring in more subscribers and that is always a good thing. I know that there are some that don't like their TV service being delivered via satellite because of weather issues, but if your only other choice was the more expensive Comcast Xfinity, like what I'm on, your wallet will do the compromising for you. I may be going off topic in the next paragraph and I apologize if I do, but I feel that this is important to subscribers.

This switch is part of a broader plan by AT&T in that they're also changing the providers of their att.net Internet portal from Yahoo to a company called Synacor. Synacor also manages Internet portals for other ISP's. Subscribers with @att.net e-mail addresses should have gotten an e-mail about this move in their Inboxes last week. I know I did in my att.net e-mail account. Here is the link with more information about this just in case you didn't. This is supposed to take effect by June 30, 2017. Right now, AT&T is saying that Yahoo will continue to manage their e-mail hosting service part for their @att.net subscribers, but that could change also, since Synacor also provides an e-mail hosting service for several other ISP's called Zimbra and AT&T could decide to move their e-mail service over to Synacor as well. On this second part, there is a reason why AT&T is doing this. It has to do with Verizon's recent acquisition of Yahoo in that AT&T does not want to be seen as giving into a competitor. Several years ago, Google used to provide their Gmail service to several ISP's through their Google Aps service, but Google discontinued doing this when they introduced their Google Fiber service and became a competing ISP themselves.

Message 13 of 23
ACE - Expert

Other than the first one, where AT&T states they're getting rid of the name "U-verse," none of these articles cite an AT&T statement of policy to shutter U-verse.  I wish AT&T would make some clear statement of intent.  The last statement they made was that they would migrate to common CPE (which is the basis of more than one of your links).

You should probably  note that DIRECTV on demand services (and all of DIRECTV Now, a separate service) use the very bandwidth that you're saying that AT&T is saving by transitioning to DIRECTV.

BTW, putting your entire post in bold is rather annoying.  It's right up there with ALL CAPS.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 23

The very reason why I included the first link to a dslreports.com article has to do with the very fact that nearly all ISP's, including AT&T, like to use dslreports.com as their, as you say "clear statement of intent." Many AT&T employees also post to the dslreports.com forums. Since your ranking on this forum is "ACE Expert" you should already know this, so I find it surprising that I have to explain it to you, considering my ranking.

No, Direc TV On Demand does not use the same amount of bandwidth that IPTV does. Once the customer selects the program that they want to watch from the menu that is accessed via the Internet connection, Direc TV's satellite system then takes back over and delivers the selected program via satellite to the customer and not over the Internet connection, which saves bandwidth, as I mentioned in the first paragraph in my last posting. That is why AT&T is doing this for.

Although you may find my posting in bold rather annoying, it's still better then using ALL CAPS. So not everyone is going to agree with your opinion. You will also find that I back up anything that I post by citing my sources, like I was taught in school to do and that's the main reason why I post in bold for.

Message 15 of 23
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support