Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Is U-verse Going Away

Is U-verse Going Away

Keep getting alot of posts on Facebook that U-verse is going away.  Any truth to this?

16,423 Views
Message 1 of 23
ACE - Expert

Re: Is U-verse Going Away


@robbiestewart89 wrote:

The very reason why I included the first link to a dslreports.com article has to do with the very fact that nearly all ISP's, including AT&T, like to use dslreports.com as their, as you say "clear statement of intent." Many AT&T employees also post to the dslreports.com forums. Since your ranking on this forum is "ACE Expert" you should already know this, so I find it surprising that I have to explain it to you, considering my ranking.


AT&T doesn't publish official statements of policy on dslreports.com.  AT&T employees sometimes publish internal information on dslreports.com.  Articles on dslreports.com are sometimes written by people with about as much sense as a head of cabbage.  The article you wrote, from last year, only says that they're phasing out NAMES, not PRODUCT LINES.  Oh, sorry about the caps.

 


@robbiestewart89 wrote:

No, Direc TV On Demand does not use the same amount of bandwidth that IPTV does. Once the customer selects the program that they want to watch from the menu that is accessed via the Internet connection, Direc TV's satellite system then takes back over and delivers the selected program via satellite to the customer and not over the Internet connection, which saves bandwidth, as I mentioned in the first paragraph in my last posting. That is why AT&T is doing this for.


If I were you, I'd take another look at how DIRECTV does OnDemand.  Their satellites don't have the bandwidth to do separate unicast streams for all of their OnDemand deliveries. If it worked the way you think, why do you think "a minimum connection speed of 750Kbps (DSL or cable modem) is required. 2Mbps or higher is recommended." (source).  They do Pay Per View via satellite, but that's a totally different animal.

 

 


@robbiestewart89 wrote:

Although you may find my posting in bold rather annoying, it's still better then using ALL CAPS. So not everyone is going to agree with your opinion. You will also find that I back up anything that I post by citing my sources, like I was taught in school to do and that's the main reason why I post in bold for.


Were you taught in school to end a sentence with a preposition?  Citing sources, I get, but I don't follow "that's the main reason why I post in bold."  Posting everything in bold tends to minimize the effectiveness of actually using bold for emphasis, which is normally what it's for (source).

 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 23

Re: Is U-verse Going Away

wrote:

"AT&T doesn't publish official statements of policy on dslreports.com.  AT&T employees sometimes publish internal information on dslreports.com."

 

OK well if AT&T employees are posting internal information on dslreports.com, then they obviously know something that you don't since they work for AT&T. So, are you going to discredit or question what an AT&T employee post? If so, then don't plan on keeping your AT&T service for very long. Comcast Xfinity employees do the same thing on dslreports.com. If you were to read some of the postings on Xfinity's help forums by their forum experts that have a similar ranking to yours, you would see that many of their experts swear up and down by dslreports.com

 

wrote:

If I were you, I'd take another look at how DIRECTV does OnDemand.  Their satellites don't have the bandwidth to do separate unicast streams for all of their OnDemand deliveries. If it worked the way you think, why do you think "a minimum connection speed of 750Kbps (DSL or cable modem) is required. 2Mbps or higher is recommended." (source).

They do Pay Per View via satellite, but that's a totally different animal.

 

The reason why they have "a minimum connection speed of 750Kbps (DSL or cable modem) is required. 2Mbps or higher is recommended." (source) is because AT&T wants to make sure that the customer's receiver unit can transmit the customer's orders from the On Demand menu unit back to Direc TV's servers. Once the customer makes their selections, then their orders are transmitted back to Direc TV's servers via their Internet connection and then Direc TV delivers the selected program back to the customer via satellite and not over AT&T's Internet connection as I have mentioned, all of which saves AT&T from having to transmit the programming back to the customer over their Internet connection. And as far as bandwidth via satellite goes, why do you think that Direc TV is able to offer free HD for? If they didn't have the bandwidth via satellite to deliver TV programs, they would not be able to offer free HD for the many years that they have. Don't believe me? Ask a Direc TV installer. I have, many times over. Many confuse this and think that because Direc TV can offer HD TV delivery via satellite, they can also offer Internet this way too via satellite and I think that's where your confusion is at here because satellite receivers where originally designed to receive programming signal content and not transmit the customer's requests back to the head end like an Internet connection requires and that's why satellite is not a reliable source for Internet service. That's why an Internet connection is required for On Demand to work in transmitting the customer's program order back to Direc TV's servers because that's what it's function is, as I have said from the beginning.

 

wrote:

Were you taught in school to end a sentence with a preposition?  Citing sources, I get, but I don't follow "that's the main reason why I post in bold."  Posting everything in bold tends to minimize the effectiveness of actually using bold for emphasis, which is normally what it's for (source).

 

I was taught to write English grammar and term papers in college based on the principals of Hodges' Harbrace College Handbook, originally written by the late University of Tennessee English professor John C. Hodges and not on by someone with the name Butterick who writes from a typography sense based on a visual arts degree and not from an English degree. Visual arts is fine if you're doing painting, sculpting, graphics, or design. But for communications, like this forum, proper English is more important then art. I might add that the main library on the campus of The University of Tennessee is also named after John C. Hodges. Hodgers' Harbrace College Handbook is the main reference source that many English professors at most colleges require their students to have.

 

Thank you for posting your questions to me as far as my education and background is concerned but this is probably better left to sending me a PM instead since we could go off topic here instead as to what the original poster has asked.

Message 17 of 23

Re: Is U-verse Going Away

wrote:

"AT&T doesn't publish official statements of policy on dslreports.com.  AT&T employees sometimes publish internal information on dslreports.com."

 

OK well if AT&T employees are posting internal information on dslreports.com, then they obviously know something that you don't since they work for AT&T. So, are you going to discredit or question what an AT&T employee post? If so, then don't plan on keeping your AT&T service for very long. Comcast Xfinity employees do the same thing on dslreports.com. If you were to read some of the postings on Xfinity's help forums by their forum experts that have a similar ranking to yours, you would see that many of their experts swear up and down by dslreports.com

 

wrote:

If I were you, I'd take another look at how DIRECTV does OnDemand.  Their satellites don't have the bandwidth to do separate unicast streams for all of their OnDemand deliveries. If it worked the way you think, why do you think "a minimum connection speed of 750Kbps (DSL or cable modem) is required. 2Mbps or higher is recommended." (source).

They do Pay Per View via satellite, but that's a totally different animal.

 

The reason why they have "a minimum connection speed of 750Kbps (DSL or cable modem) is required. 2Mbps or higher is recommended." (source) is because AT&T wants to make sure that the customer's receiver unit can transmit the customer's orders from the On Demand menu unit back to Direc TV's servers. Once the customer makes their selections, then their orders are transmitted back to Direc TV's servers via their Internet connection and then Direc TV delivers the selected program back to the customer via satellite and not over AT&T's Internet connection as I have mentioned, all of which saves AT&T from having to transmit the programming back to the customer over their Internet connection. And as far as bandwidth via satellite goes, why do you think that Direc TV is able to offer free HD for? If they didn't have the bandwidth via satellite to deliver TV programs, they would not be able to offer free HD for the many years that they have. Don't believe me? Ask a Direc TV installer. I have, many times over. Many confuse this and think that because Direc TV can offer HD TV delivery via satellite, they can also offer Internet this way too via satellite and I think that's where your confusion is at here because satellite receivers where originally designed to receive programming signal content and not transmit the customer's requests back to the head end like an Internet connection requires. That's why an Internet connection is required for On Demand because that's what it's function is, as I have said from the beginning.

 

wrote:

Were you taught in school to end a sentence with a preposition?  Citing sources, I get, but I don't follow "that's the main reason why I post in bold."  Posting everything in bold tends to minimize the effectiveness of actually using bold for emphasis, which is normally what it's for (source).

 

I was taught to write English grammar and term papers in college based on the principals of Hodge's Harbrace College Handbook, originally written by the late University of Tennessee English professor John C. Hodges and not by someone with the name Butterick who writes from a typography sense based on a visual arts degree and not from an English degree. Visual arts is fine if you're doing painting, sculpting, graphics, or design. But for communications, like this forum, proper English is more important then art. I might add that the main library on the campus of The University of Tennessee is also named after John C. Hodges. Hodgers Harbrace College Handbook is the main reference source that many English professors at most colleges require their students to have.

 

Thank you for asking about my educational background and experience. I don't mind sharing it with you, but in doing so, we could go a little off topic here then as to what the original question the poster was asking, so if you have any more questions for other then what the original poster was asking, these are best left for sending me a direct message instead.

Message 18 of 23

Re: Is U-verse Going Away

wrote:

"AT&T doesn't publish official statements of policy on dslreports.com.  AT&T employees sometimes publish internal information on dslreports.com."

 

OK well if AT&T employees are posting internal information on dslreports.com, then they obviously know something that you don't since they work for AT&T. So, are you going to discredit or question what an AT&T employee post? If so, then don't plan on keeping your AT&T service for very long. Comcast Xfinity employees do the same thing on dslreports.com. If you were to read some of the postings on Xfinity's help forums by their forum experts that have a similar ranking to yours, you would see that many of their experts swear up and down by dslreports.com

 

wrote:

If I were you, I'd take another look at how DIRECTV does OnDemand.  Their satellites don't have the bandwidth to do separate unicast streams for all of their OnDemand deliveries. If it worked the way you think, why do you think "a minimum connection speed of 750Kbps (DSL or cable modem) is required. 2Mbps or higher is recommended." (source).

They do Pay Per View via satellite, but that's a totally different animal.

 

The reason why they have "a minimum connection speed of 750Kbps (DSL or cable modem) is required. 2Mbps or higher is recommended." (source) is because AT&T wants to make sure that the customer's receiver unit can transmit the customer's orders from the On Demand menu unit back to Direc TV's servers. Once the customer makes their selections, then their orders are transmitted back to Direc TV's servers via their Internet connection and then Direc TV delivers the selected program back to the customer via satellite and not over AT&T's Internet connection as I have mentioned, all of which saves AT&T from having to transmit the programming back to the customer over their Internet connection. And as far as bandwidth via satellite goes, why do you think that Direc TV is able to offer free HD for? If they didn't have the bandwidth via satellite to deliver TV programs, they would not be able to offer free HD for the many years that they have. Don't believe me? Ask a Direc TV installer. I have, many times over. Many confuse this and think that because Direc TV can offer HD TV delivery via satellite, they can also offer Internet this way too via satellite and I think that's where your confusion is at here because satellite receivers where originally designed to receive programming signal content and not transmit the customer's requests back to the head end like an Internet connection requires. That's why an Internet connection is required for On Demand because that's what it's function is, as I have said from the beginning.

 

wrote:

Were you taught in school to end a sentence with a preposition?  Citing sources, I get, but I don't follow "that's the main reason why I post in bold."  Posting everything in bold tends to minimize the effectiveness of actually using bold for emphasis, which is normally what it's for (source).

 

I was taught to write English grammar and term papers in college based on the principals of Hodges' Harbrace College Handbook, originally written by the late University of Tennessee English professor John C. Hodges and not by someone with the name Butterick who writes from a typography sense based on a visual arts degree and not from an English degree. Visual arts is fine if you're doing painting, sculpting, graphics, or design. But for communications, like this forum, proper English is more important then art. I might add that the main library on the campus of The University of Tennessee is also named after John C. Hodges. Hodgers' Harbrace College Handbook is the main reference source that many English professors at most colleges require their students to have.

 

By the way, thanks for asking about my educational background and experience. I don't mind sharing this information with you, but in doing so, we could be going off topic here then as to what the original poster of this question was asking, so it's best to PM me these questions instead.

Message 19 of 23
ACE - Expert

Re: Is U-verse Going Away

Cute.  Okay, try these:

link

very reputable source link

link (note especially the product footnote "1": Downloading On Demand content may count against your data plan allowance.)

link

link

 

For downloaded-in-advance movies, it would be possible to queue up a single satellite stream that a bunch of recorders could access at once (c.f. near video on demand), but it doesn't seem they actually do this.  DIRECTV doesn't seem to want to make this clear.  But I can tell you it does not take 2 Mbps to allow someone to place orders.

 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 23
Scholar

Re: Is U-verse Going Away

AT&T is advertising & promoting DIRECTV but NOT U-verse TV:

Anyone watch AT&T's DirecTV commercials during NCAA basketball playoffs?

AT&T isn't properly supporting U-verse TV (read U-verse TV Forum for numerous complaints), because it wants the service to die and be replaced by DirecTV- even though many folks can't receive satellite TV service (lack line of sight to the satellite or live in a condo complex which doesn't permit dish antennas on the roof). According to Leichtman Research Group, AT&T's U-verse service lost 1.36 million subscribers in 2016 as AT&T shifted marketing toward its DirecTV satellite TV service. PROOF: DirecTV added 1.2 million customers last year while U-verse subscribers DECREASED 22.9% Year-over-Year (2016 vs 2015)

 

Bottom Line: All the TV commercials/other ads promote DirecTV rather than U-Verse for TV service. Very disappointing for existing U-Verse TV customers, many of whom (like me) can't receive satellite TV!

Message 21 of 23
Employee

Re: Is U-verse Going Away

Why would the company spend advertising dollars on a product that is only in parts of 21 states where ATT is the ILEC but DirecTv is available in all 50 states. For a national televized event you would want to put your best foot forward that all individuals may be able to order such as ATT Wireless phones, and DirecTv video service, not something (Uverse) that about 60% of the country could not order.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 23
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Is U-verse Going Away

It is my understanding AT&T wants to eventually discontinue it's satellite service, as well as U-Verse, so they can merge the two services via fiber optic using the internet only with a new service called...Direct Now and or AT&T Entertainment. I suspect satellite will eventually be phased out(those birds and ground support, are very expensive to maintain) and those customers would be connected wireless via cell/fiber or by running the internet through your electric line in (rural areas with a contractual agreement with the your electric company, if available). At&T is now running fiber to every house in my Florida neighborhood, that now has copper, and will connect  to their existing "fiber vnode box" that has already been directly connected to their central office operation. I don't know "at this time" if AT&T will push me to both satellite and fiber. For now, I heard fiber would only be used for a faster internet. I don't want a small dish on my house and have to put up with the interference you receive with the breaking up of your reception due to outside RF interference caused by spurious information and or heavy rain. Comcast has been known to have poor CS and they have this problem with nickle and dimeing you to death, to me, that's not an option.

Message 23 of 23
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support