Posted Apr 3, 2011
4:18:35 PM
View profile
Iowa Bald Eagles ready to hatch their eggs. LIVE!

Two Eagles....in the nest.....with eggs just about to hatch.  I believe it is a live video.  I noticed that there are an awful lot of folks watching.  This is in NE Iowa near the town of Decorah.  NE Iowa is pretty much dairy country....hilly and lots of forest and woods with cliffs and rock formations.  Not too far from the Mississippi River.   Have a look while it is is still daylight.

I rushed to get this posted for all our wildlife lovers. Hope I'm correct on my facts.

This world of ours... must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect. ........Dwight D. Eisenhower
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
263 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(263)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2012 9:27:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks, Dave.  I've checked out some of the other sites over time.  But I guess it is because of my attachment for and familiarity with Iowa that I tend to watch the Decorah pair and their off spring so closely.  D-1 has been moving gradually closer to the natal nest.  Last report is 4 days ago and she had moved to just east of Decorah, Iowa into a park area.  She was 2.5 miles from the nest.  I wonder...if she goes back to the area where mom and dad are still working on their new nest....do Bald Eagles have any ability to recognize their own offspring?   Guess I need to do some research or ask an expert. 

This world of ours... must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect. ........Dwight D. Eisenhower
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Iowa Bald Eagles ready to hatch their eggs. LIVE!

241 of 264 (1,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2012 8:13:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Understand the Iowa anle.

I foubd an eagle cam from Florida, where they may be hatching in a few weeks (may be by New Years!).  Parents are doing some serious sitting!

http://www.ustream.tv/SouthwestFloridaEagleCam

242 of 264 (1,121 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2012 9:20:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I see at least two eggs!

swflacam.jpg

243 of 264 (1,112 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2012 11:55:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for that link, Dave.   I bookmarked the site.  Had a look tonight and either he or she was sitting on the eggs.  IR camera shows it well.  Wonder if it can be move by remote control.

244 of 264 (1,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2012 7:31:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

At this time of year, when many people are celebrating a great miracle.....I return to the Raptor web site to see what is going on with our young female Bald Eagle who recently returned from her long summer flight to Canada.  Not much happening.  She and her younger brother who was part of the 2012 clutch are apparently enjoying wintering in the Northeast and Northern Iowa areas.  I discovered this little description of her adventures.  Also a miracle, IMHO.

About D1

D1 is a female bald eagle who hatched in a cottonwood in Decorah, Iowa in March of 2011. We captured her in July of 2011, after she had been on the wing for a few weeks, and fitted her with a transmitter. In the fall of 2011, D1 traveled to northern Minnesota before returning to overwinter in NE Iowa. In the summer of 2012, D1 traveled to Hudson Bay, Canada, before returning to overwinter in NE Iowa. A few quick facts:

• As of December 2012, D1 had traveled over 4,000 miles.
  • Her longest single distance ocurred between September 17 and 19 in 2012, when she traveled an incredible 147.5 miles.
  • Her furthest point north was recorded on July 3, 2012, 919 miles from her natal nest.

Our tracking has shown us that D1 spends a lot of time on watersheds. She has been on the Little Turkey, the Turkey, the Wapsipinicon, the Cedar, the Upper Iowa, the Maquoketa, the Yellow, the Volga, the Black, the Chippewa, the Mississippi, and the Saint Croix rivers, to name a few. She spent a great deal of time on Yellow Lake in Wisconsin, migrated down the west side of Lake Superior with thousands or millions of other birds, and lived up on Hudson's Bay in Ontario, Canada, for over a month.

It's fairly common for eagles to travel more when they are younger, and then settle down and raise young in the same general area they hatched in. If D1 survives to adulthood, we'll be very curious to find out where she eventually nests.

All I can say is WOW!  I'm consumed with amazment.  Over 4,000 miles and she won't be two years old until this coming spring.

245 of 264 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2013 11:07:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The SW Florida eaglets have hatched!

246 of 264 (986 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 1:25:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Mom and Dad celebrating the hatch / birth!

swflee.jpg

247 of 264 (973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 7:26:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Mmm, dinner!  Fresh Fish!

freshcatch.jpg

248 of 264 (959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2013 10:29:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Did she lay just one egg?  I can't quite make out if there is one or possibly two fledglings.  The experts say that two eggs are fairly common but three are unusual.  The two eagles up in Decorah, IA have been getting 3 little ones most years I guess.   Unfortunately....two of the Iowa eagles have been electrocuted in 2011.  D-14....the young male who had a locator device on him was found late that month.  Another of their young bald eagles suffered the same fate early in 2011.

But the young female who flew to Hudson's Bay this past summer is still moving around the area in the vicinity of Decorah, Iowa.  They've had more snow than we have had here east of Kansas City, MO.  But that apparently does not bother the bald eagles.

Interesting video appeared on the Iowa feed.  Some noisy crows got brave and decided to check out the eagles' nest.  The one eagle perched on the branch near the nest gave a call to it's mate...which immediately arrived on the scene.... and the two of them made quick work of clearing the crows out of the nest.  Then, afterward, the two eagles sat there on the branch and chattered back and forth with each other.  Unfortunately I don't have a working knowledge of eagle "language".

249 of 264 (948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2013 7:06:46 AM
(0)

Since I read this board regularly I just wanted to share something with you today from Yellowstone National Park. An adult bald eagle perched along the Firehole River on New Year’s Day.

Bald Eagle.jpg

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

250 of 264 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2013 9:04:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jan 7, 2013 at 9:07:12 AM

hpmsrm wrote:

Did she lay just one egg?  I can't quite make out if there is one or possibly two fledglings.  The experts say that two eggs are fairly common but three are unusual.  The two eagles up in Decorah, IA have been getting 3 little ones most years I guess.   Unfortunately....two of the Iowa eagles have been electrocuted in 2011.  D-14....the young male who had a locator device on him was found late that month.  Another of their young bald eagles suffered the same fate early in 2011.

But the young female who flew to Hudson's Bay this past summer is still moving around the area in the vicinity of Decorah, Iowa.  They've had more snow than we have had here east of Kansas City, MO.  But that apparently does not bother the bald eagles.

Interesting video appeared on the Iowa feed.  Some noisy crows got brave and decided to check out the eagles' nest.  The one eagle perched on the branch near the nest gave a call to it's mate...which immediately arrived on the scene.... and the two of them made quick work of clearing the crows out of the nest.  Then, afterward, the two eagles sat there on the branch and chattered back and forth with each other.  Unfortunately I don't have a working knowledge of eagle "language".

There were two eggs.  I believe that one is at the top of the nest (farthest away from the camera) and the other stays ay the bottom.  I was also concerned that I'm only seeing one but in the chat screen, folks are saying that the other one is out of view ... I hope.

Nice shot Taylarie!

[ Edited ]
251 of 264 (926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2013 6:42:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Another interesting Ustream camera is the African Potted Plant Owl cam. 

252 of 264 (907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 6:05:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There is quite the unusual situatation in Sequoyah regarding an eagles nest.  The mother laid a clutch of two eggs but unfortunately due to unforseen external issues, the eggs are no longer alive and the mother and father abandoned the eggs, Well there is now a great horned owl incubating the eggs.  Beautiful bird and rather strange site to see.

Oklahoma Eagle Cam

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

253 of 264 (763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 2:16:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

There is quite the unusual situatation in Sequoyah regarding an eagles nest.  The mother laid a clutch of two eggs but unfortunately due to unforseen external issues, the eggs are no longer alive and the mother and father abandoned the eggs, Well there is now a great horned owl incubating the eggs.  Beautiful bird and rather strange site to see.

Oklahoma Eagle Cam

Interesting.....I'll say.   I wonder if the eggs were not fertile or if something happened to kill the embryos.  That owl is either in for a big surprise or a big disappointment.  Interesting that the eagles allow the owl to stay in the nest.  The Decorah, Iowa eagles have always jealously guarded their nest and chased intruders away....be it a tiny mouse or a pair of crows.

254 of 264 (745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2013 4:57:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

From what I read in the chat section, the owl pair may have laid their own clutch, but no one is sure.  I know that shortly after the eagles clutch was laid, something kept the pair off the nest and even when the mom was on the nest she was extemely agitated.  There were times when she was off the next for hours at a time.  This pair has hatched several pairs so not sure what caused it this year.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

255 of 264 (736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 6:18:28 AM
(0)
Master

Believe you guys might have remembered me mentioning Great Horned Owls are nicknamed the "Lion of the Bird World" and for good reason. They don't build a nest of their own, take over other birds nests, and have even driven Bald Eagles off (see "Prey" in below link). The expert birder/naturalist at the park where I used to work found 2 larger Red-tailed Hawks dead under their next and said it was evident Great Horned Owls had done this nasty deed by the large talon marks on them.

http://www.adirondackwildlife.org/GreatHornedOwls.html

Even if the Bald Eagles, with almost twice the wing-span, were able to fend off the Great Horned Owls from their nest the eagles are well aware the owls now know where their nest is and the eaglets would never be safe.

I also read in the eagle blog that non-nesting Bald Eagles in the area disturbed the pair of nesting eagles. It also said the drought in Oklahoma may have caused a food shortage causing the female also having to leave the nest alone to hunt. Wouldn't doubt this may have been when the Great Horned Owls started moving in and taking over the nest.

Pretty sad and didn't seem like the pair of Bald Eagles had much going for them this year with all the competition along with the food shortage. :smileysad:

256 of 264 (734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 8:20:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

well it's confirmed that the owl has laid a clutch of two eggs and still has one of the eagle eggs she is incubating.  Seems like the owls are quite the predator when it comes to creating nesting for their chicks.

257 of 264 (728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2013 6:16:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Things may be heating up, in Decorah!

Ustream had videos of mom and dad setting on the "Y" branch, near the nest.  Maybe they will return to the nest with the camera.  Even if they don't, it was nice to see them, again.

258 of 264 (702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2013 5:28:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

According to the Raptor Research Project's facebook, the Decorah Eagles have chosen their new home for nesting this season.

Decorah Eagles Nest Announcement ~

It appears that the Decorah eagles have chosen the new nest they started last fall for this year’s nesting season. If they were going to use the old nest, we should have seen them bringing in soft nesting materials and building a nest bowl for their eggs. While Bob observed them bouncing back and forth as late as the morning of February 13th, they appear to have a pronounced affinity for the new nest.

They've promised to get a camera near Nest 2 in the fall after the babies fledge. 

I'll miss checking in on them this year but I'm excited that they have a 2nd home.

259 of 264 (658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 18, 2013 6:50:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for the info. Skeeter.  I don't have an account on Facebook and apparently Bob doesn't care about those of us that watch on the regular web site.  That is a shame but I guess a couple of Eagles appreciate a new home as much as we humans do.

At the urging of my grandchildren I tried Facebook.....and dropped it.....three times.  All I ever got out of it is a ton of SPAM that is still plagueing me.

260 of 264 (601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2013 9:24:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

We now have 2 baby eagle chicks in Oklahoma.  The owl has lost her eggs during the snow storms and they have been seen around the nest but no nesting yet. However the original nest now has a nesting pair of eagles and two hatched over night.  Still two eggs incubating. Sutton Eagle Site

261 of 264 (527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2013 9:42:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks OFID.  I just checked and either mom or dad is keeping the tiny ones warm.  She/he looks harried.  Must be windy and, perhaps, rainy right now.  Looks like I do in the mornings.

262 of 264 (520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2013 7:07:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well, we now have a 3rd chick at Sooner Lake.  Was hatched sometime yesterday.  Mom and dad seem to be doing another great job caring for the little ones.

263 of 264 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2013 4:25:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I had not checked the Decorah, Iowa Eagles for a while.  So looked today.  Got referred to facebook.  I hate facebood.  But I checked and there are several videos.  Here is link to the most recent one on 4/20/13.  One adult arrives with food.  Adult #2 leaves and the other one proceeds to feed the little ones.  I count two heads.  There is no dedicated video camera set up for this new nest so the view is not very good.  But mom and dad are carrying on their parental duties in good shape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciUBKlOqFAM&feature=youtu.be

264 of 264 (452 Views)