Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Help Needed XP machine now requires me to logon

ACE - Master

Help Needed XP machine now requires me to logon

I have a five plus year old HP desktop PC with XP Media Center Edition (SP2).  Yesterday, the wifey noticed that no web pages were loading.  Once in a great while, I have had to restart the PC to remedy this issue.

I had an errand to run, so I told her to restart the PC.  I got a cell phone call from her and she stated that some screen came up, wanting a password.

I came home and it was a Windows login screen.  There was a user account (one I must have created) and Administrator.  I have never had to log into windows like this before (maybe since I bought it).  I tried the user one (we'll call it "dhpc") but the icons, background and such were not what I had been using.

So, I must have always ran the PC in administrator mode.  I do not ever recall having an admin password but I sure can't get into the admin user.

So, how is the best way of cracking, resetting or deleting this admin password?  One free tool from MS requires SP3 which I don't have.

Many of the free tools that I have seen here, require a boot CD being made.  Is there any other free way of cracking, resetting or deleting the admin password?

Thanks!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 31
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: Help Needed XP machine now requires me to logon

yans0056 wrote:

You have a few options

1) boot into safe mode and see if the hidden administrator account has a password set or not (alot of people forget to set it). once you get in you can create yourself a new user.

2) An ERD disk would work if you have one.

3) If you have an install disk you can also do a repair install which will ask you for a new admin password but won’t delete the other programs on the machine.

4) downloadable crack programs like those listed here

Thanks but this is solved.  I tried a generic password for the admin user and it worked and I tried my own password for the "dhpc" user and it worked.  So I no longer need to crack or delete a password.

So my next step is to delete the dhpc user account, then it should auto=logon.

EDIT: Hopefully the instructions under "Delete User Account" here will help me remove user account dhpc.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 31
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support