Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 16, 2011
6:01:45 AM
View profile
Help Needed XP machine now requires me to logon

I have a five plus year old HP desktop PC with XP Media Center Edition (SP2).  Yesterday, the wifey noticed that no web pages were loading.  Once in a great while, I have had to restart the PC to remedy this issue.

I had an errand to run, so I told her to restart the PC.  I got a cell phone call from her and she stated that some screen came up, wanting a password.

I came home and it was a Windows login screen.  There was a user account (one I must have created) and Administrator.  I have never had to log into windows like this before (maybe since I bought it).  I tried the user one (we'll call it "dhpc") but the icons, background and such were not what I had been using.

So, I must have always ran the PC in administrator mode.  I do not ever recall having an admin password but I sure can't get into the admin user.

So, how is the best way of cracking, resetting or deleting this admin password?  One free tool from MS requires SP3 which I don't have.

Many of the free tools that I have seen here, require a boot CD being made.  Is there any other free way of cracking, resetting or deleting the admin password?

Thanks!

I have a five plus year old HP desktop PC with XP Media Center Edition (SP2).  Yesterday, the wifey noticed that no web pages were loading.  Once in a great while, I have had to restart the PC to remedy this issue.

I had an errand to run, so I told her to restart the PC.  I got a cell phone call from her and she stated that some screen came up, wanting a password.

I came home and it was a Windows login screen.  There was a user account (one I must have created) and Administrator.  I have never had to log into windows like this before (maybe since I bought it).  I tried the user one (we'll call it "dhpc") but the icons, background and such were not what I had been using.

So, I must have always ran the PC in administrator mode.  I do not ever recall having an admin password but I sure can't get into the admin user.

So, how is the best way of cracking, resetting or deleting this admin password?  One free tool from MS requires SP3 which I don't have.

Many of the free tools that I have seen here, require a boot CD being made.  Is there any other free way of cracking, resetting or deleting the admin password?

Thanks!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 20, 2011 7:11:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:15:08 AM

Nan2007 wrote:

Assuming you already guessed and it didn't work (pw could be your name, the spacebar and enter, or admin)

Is your user account an administrator account? If you just need to recover shortcuts, you can find them in C:/Documents and Settings.For reach user, there should be a favorites folder (you can open it to check what the favorites are) and copy that to whatever user account you are using.  (that is for the internet favorites). There is a desktop folder where you can copy the desktop shortcut icons. 

If you don't see these folders, you might need to enable vewing hidden files. (Control Panel, folder options, View, Show hidden files & folders.

I tried a real generic "abcd" type of pw and it worked.  I do not ever recall setting it but I tried that and within minutes I was back to my old desktop, faves and such.   Apparently my main account used is the admin.   Thanks for all of the great suggestions.  

I honestly believe that my wife must have invoked a setting by cleaning the keyboard that reared its ugly head on restart.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Help Needed XP machine now requires me to logon

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(30)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 6:18:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Sep 27, 2011 at 6:41:24 AM

yans0056 wrote:

You have a few options

1) boot into safe mode and see if the hidden administrator account has a password set or not (alot of people forget to set it). once you get in you can create yourself a new user.

2) An ERD disk would work if you have one.

3) If you have an install disk you can also do a repair install which will ask you for a new admin password but won’t delete the other programs on the machine.

4) downloadable crack programs like those listed here

Thanks but this is solved.  I tried a generic password for the admin user and it worked and I tried my own password for the "dhpc" user and it worked.  So I no longer need to crack or delete a password.

So my next step is to delete the dhpc user account, then it should auto=logon.

EDIT: Hopefully the instructions under "Delete User Account" here will help me remove user account dhpc.

yans0056 wrote:

You have a few options

1) boot into safe mode and see if the hidden administrator account has a password set or not (alot of people forget to set it). once you get in you can create yourself a new user.

2) An ERD disk would work if you have one.

3) If you have an install disk you can also do a repair install which will ask you for a new admin password but won’t delete the other programs on the machine.

4) downloadable crack programs like those listed here

Thanks but this is solved.  I tried a generic password for the admin user and it worked and I tried my own password for the "dhpc" user and it worked.  So I no longer need to crack or delete a password.

So my next step is to delete the dhpc user account, then it should auto=logon.

EDIT: Hopefully the instructions under "Delete User Account" here will help me remove user account dhpc.

Re: Help Needed XP machine now requires me to logon

[ Edited ]
31 of 31 (120 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments