Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 28, 2011
12:10:28 PM
Green Leaking From RCAs?

Son just showed me a set of RCA cables he had been using, and they've got a greenish ooze coming out at the wire end of plugs, and the connection end as well.

Has anyone ever heard of this?  What is it? 

Son just showed me a set of RCA cables he had been using, and they've got a greenish ooze coming out at the wire end of plugs, and the connection end as well.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 28, 2011 1:16:05 PM
(0)
Expert
If water gets inside the wiring it will create oxides of copper, which are green.

Some wires also have a gel inside them to provide air-tightness; the water, gel, and copper oxides may have mixed together, resulting in the odd substance.

Best to probably get a new cable.

Green Leaking From RCAs?

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 12:13:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Alien blood. Smiley Wink  

I haven't seen that one Spd. 

Alien blood. Smiley Wink  

I haven't seen that one Spd. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Green Leaking From RCAs?

2 of 16 (358 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 12:30:38 PM
(0)
Expert

Smiley Sad

Smiley Sad

3 of 16 (353 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 28, 2011 1:16:05 PM
(0)
Expert
If water gets inside the wiring it will create oxides of copper, which are green.

Some wires also have a gel inside them to provide air-tightness; the water, gel, and copper oxides may have mixed together, resulting in the odd substance.

4 of 16 (349 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 3:29:19 PM
(0)
Expert

You're a genius!  As soon as I read that to the son, it made sense.

They've been in a drawer for quite a while, and not near water (or Frank, LOL), but suppose our humidity would be enough to do it.  Like when Ike hit and no power for days.

Going in the trash right now. Smiley Wink

You're a genius!  As soon as I read that to the son, it made sense.

They've been in a drawer for quite a while, and not near water (or Frank, LOL), but suppose our humidity would be enough to do it.  Like when Ike hit and no power for days.

Going in the trash right now. Smiley Wink

5 of 16 (340 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 3:08:45 PM
(1)
Tutor

Professor offers the scientific answer, but the alien blood answer seems more plausible to me........has someone in your house ridden on a UFO spaceship lately?

Professor offers the scientific answer, but the alien blood answer seems more plausible to me........has someone in your house ridden on a UFO spaceship lately?

6 of 16 (327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 3:29:00 PM
(0)
Expert

IMHO_99 wrote:

It does make for a better FOX late night special ...

When Cables ATTACK!

Smiley Very Happy

IMHO_99 wrote:

It does make for a better FOX late night special ...

When Cables ATTACK!

Smiley Very Happy

7 of 16 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 5:05:39 PM
(0)
Master

The reason I use good cables not for audio/video improvements but for longetivity and tight connections.

The reason I use good cables not for audio/video improvements but for longetivity and tight connections.

8 of 16 (318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:06:01 PM
(0)
Expert

Monprice! Smiley LOL

Monprice! Smiley LOL

9 of 16 (311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:11:12 PM
(0)
Master

spd2demun wrote:

Monprice! Smiley LOL

Them and Bluejeans depending on the hook up.

spd2demun wrote:

Monprice! Smiley LOL

Them and Bluejeans depending on the hook up.

10 of 16 (309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 4:56:04 AM
(0)
Master

spd2demun wrote:

Had that once. Started seeing nothing but red and blue on the TV, so I checked the cables and saw the green one came loose and all the green leaked out in a puddle on the floor. What a mess. Even with a funnel, it was very difficult to get all that green back in to that little hole on the back of the TV.

Smiley Wink

Smiley LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

spd2demun wrote:

Had that once. Started seeing nothing but red and blue on the TV, so I checked the cables and saw the green one came loose and all the green leaked out in a puddle on the floor. What a mess. Even with a funnel, it was very difficult to get all that green back in to that little hole on the back of the TV.

Smiley Wink

Smiley LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

11 of 16 (298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 5:26:27 AM
(0)
Expert

Now somebody is going to believe that tale! Smiley Very Happy

Now somebody is going to believe that tale! Smiley Very Happy

12 of 16 (293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 5:55:07 AM
(0)
Master

Kinda like don't let the magic smoke out of the wires or equipment.

Kinda like don't let the magic smoke out of the wires or equipment.

13 of 16 (289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 7:04:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Or, making sure the dial tone tanks are topped off every morning.
Or, making sure the dial tone tanks are topped off every morning.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 16 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 11:07:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Or like the cars that have low blinker fluid causing the blinkers not to work when they make a turn in front of you.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Or like the cars that have low blinker fluid causing the blinkers not to work when they make a turn in front of you.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

15 of 16 (280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 12:11:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Or like the cars that have low blinker fluid causing the blinkers not to work when they make a turn in froFnt of you.

You had me for a fraction of a second, until I read the end of your statement.  I was thinking, There is no blinker fluid! 

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Or like the cars that have low blinker fluid causing the blinkers not to work when they make a turn in froFnt of you.

You had me for a fraction of a second, until I read the end of your statement.  I was thinking, There is no blinker fluid! 

16 of 16 (276 Views)