Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 28, 2012
4:45:22 PM
View profile
DirecTV to Hike Rates 4.5% in 2013

DirecTV joins the ranks of those raising prices next year:

DirecTV will ring in 2013 with a price hike that will increase customer bills an average of 4.5%, while the No. 1 satellite operator claimed the fees it pays broadcasters and cable networks will rise by about 8% next year.

The new prices take effect Feb. 7, 2013. In a message sent to DirecTV customers, senior vice president of customer service Ellen Filipiak said “almost all programmers who provide channels to the DirecTV platform are increasing their rates at a level we've never seen before.”

DirecTV’s Xtra package -- currently called Choice Xtra, which the operator says is its most popular package -- will go up $2 monthly, from $68.99 $70.99. The Choice tier will increase by $1 monthly, from $63.99 to $64.99 per month, while the top-end Premier package will rise $5 per month, from $119.99 to $124.99.

Separately, rival satellite TV operator Dish Network also plans a price hike in the new year. Dish, after not raising rates for two years, plans to increase the price of its core TV bundles between 7% and 20% effective January 2013, with most packages rising $5 per month.

DirecTV also is raising other rates: HBO will increase by $2 per month (except for Premier customers) and the operator is levying a $2 per month regional sports fee “in select ZIP codes where DirecTV is contractually obligated to distribute multiple Regional Sports Networks,” the company said.

On the equipment front, DirecTV is raising the price of its Advanced Receiver Service -- for multiroom DVR -- by $3 per month, to $23 monthly. The Advanced Receiver DVR fee will rise by $2 per month, from $8 to $10 monthly.

The letter from DirecTV’s Filipiak referred to “negotiations of new and existing channel contracts” that show “we are doing all we can to make sure you do not suffer unfair price increases as a result of unreasonable demands in these disputes.”

In 2012, DirecTV’s public contract disputes included a standoff with Viacom this summer, during which 26 of the media company’s networks went dark for nine days. “By holding firm, we've held our annual price increases on average below those of cable competitors,” Filipiak wrote in the customer letter.

DirecTV provides more detailed information on the rate hikes here:http://www.directv.com/businesspackages/feb/2013_Price%20Increase_RSN.pdf.

DirecTV cited recent enhancements and additional programming in the letter announcing the 2013 price increases.

New standard-definition and HD channels it has added include BBC America, Disney Junior, DIY, E!, Nat Geo WILD, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, beIN Sport, Time Warner Cable SportsNet and TWC Deportes. DirecTV also touted the expansion of its TV Everywhere service, which provides content from more than 30 networks at no extra charge.

http://www.multichannel.com/satellite/directv-hike-rates-45-2013/140927

DirecTV joins the ranks of those raising prices next year:

DirecTV will ring in 2013 with a price hike that will increase customer bills an average of 4.5%, while the No. 1 satellite operator claimed the fees it pays broadcasters and cable networks will rise by about 8% next year.

The new prices take effect Feb. 7, 2013. In a message sent to DirecTV customers, senior vice president of customer service Ellen Filipiak said “almost all programmers who provide channels to the DirecTV platform are increasing their rates at a level we've never seen before.”

DirecTV’s Xtra package -- currently called Choice Xtra, which the operator says is its most popular package -- will go up $2 monthly, from $68.99 $70.99. The Choice tier will increase by $1 monthly, from $63.99 to $64.99 per month, while the top-end Premier package will rise $5 per month, from $119.99 to $124.99.

Separately, rival satellite TV operator Dish Network also plans a price hike in the new year. Dish, after not raising rates for two years, plans to increase the price of its core TV bundles between 7% and 20% effective January 2013, with most packages rising $5 per month.

DirecTV also is raising other rates: HBO will increase by $2 per month (except for Premier customers) and the operator is levying a $2 per month regional sports fee “in select ZIP codes where DirecTV is contractually obligated to distribute multiple Regional Sports Networks,” the company said.

On the equipment front, DirecTV is raising the price of its Advanced Receiver Service -- for multiroom DVR -- by $3 per month, to $23 monthly. The Advanced Receiver DVR fee will rise by $2 per month, from $8 to $10 monthly.

The letter from DirecTV’s Filipiak referred to “negotiations of new and existing channel contracts” that show “we are doing all we can to make sure you do not suffer unfair price increases as a result of unreasonable demands in these disputes.”

In 2012, DirecTV’s public contract disputes included a standoff with Viacom this summer, during which 26 of the media company’s networks went dark for nine days. “By holding firm, we've held our annual price increases on average below those of cable competitors,” Filipiak wrote in the customer letter.

DirecTV provides more detailed information on the rate hikes here:http://www.directv.com/businesspackages/feb/2013_Price%20Increase_RSN.pdf.

DirecTV cited recent enhancements and additional programming in the letter announcing the 2013 price increases.

New standard-definition and HD channels it has added include BBC America, Disney Junior, DIY, E!, Nat Geo WILD, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, beIN Sport, Time Warner Cable SportsNet and TWC Deportes. DirecTV also touted the expansion of its TV Everywhere service, which provides content from more than 30 networks at no extra charge.

http://www.multichannel.com/satellite/directv-hike-rates-45-2013/140927

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

DirecTV to Hike Rates 4.5% in 2013

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2012 5:57:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

But, but, but, I thought only UVerse raised their rates?  

Had a DTV sales person try to accost me today at Costco, he asked if I had TWC, Dish or UVerse and I said do you see your bills creeping up and up, I said, nope, I'm on a 2 year contract, and btw, saw where your rates are going up almost 5% next year.  Shut him right up.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

But, but, but, I thought only UVerse raised their rates?  

Had a DTV sales person try to accost me today at Costco, he asked if I had TWC, Dish or UVerse and I said do you see your bills creeping up and up, I said, nope, I'm on a 2 year contract, and btw, saw where your rates are going up almost 5% next year.  Shut him right up.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: DirecTV to Hike Rates 4.5% in 2013

2 of 9 (1,502 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2012 4:50:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That is what some people think until they get locked into an account with another provider.

That is what some people think until they get locked into an account with another provider.

3 of 9 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 8:41:15 PM
(0)
Voyager
Dropped directv today actually. Had already scheduled uverse install when I got the email from directv anyway, but laughed nonetheless. I moved out to the country about a year ago from in town, it was too long to be without uverse. So glad to have it back.

Dropped directv today actually. Had already scheduled uverse install when I got the email from directv anyway, but laughed nonetheless. I moved out to the country about a year ago from in town, it was too long to be without uverse. So glad to have it back.

4 of 9 (1,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 9:39:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

Honestly it is still cheaper than cable. We just came from the cable company to DirecTV and its much much cheaper than what we were paying for orginally. Even though they might raise their rates some, there are so many people out their that pay for TV service that is way overpriced including cable companies. I don't see 4 percernt jusitifed for any thing to be alarmed for. Even when I considered U-verse TV, it was a little more than DirecTV. 

Honestly it is still cheaper than cable. We just came from the cable company to DirecTV and its much much cheaper than what we were paying for orginally. Even though they might raise their rates some, there are so many people out their that pay for TV service that is way overpriced including cable companies. I don't see 4 percernt jusitifed for any thing to be alarmed for. Even when I considered U-verse TV, it was a little more than DirecTV. 

5 of 9 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 3:47:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

ato-1141 wrote:

It depends on what packages you have.  I'm paying less for the U450, internet and phone than I was with Direct.  Biggest reason is that I had to have a separate provider for internet and phone. When I had Direct, sure the first year was cheap, it's the 2nd year when the promos have expired and you're stuck in a 2nd year of a contract that gets ya. 

ato-1141 wrote:

It depends on what packages you have.  I'm paying less for the U450, internet and phone than I was with Direct.  Biggest reason is that I had to have a separate provider for internet and phone. When I had Direct, sure the first year was cheap, it's the 2nd year when the promos have expired and you're stuck in a 2nd year of a contract that gets ya. 

6 of 9 (760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 8:22:13 AM
(0)
Mentor
Who exactly said that only UVerse raised their rates?

Virtually all people here that I have seen usually have specific gripes about their service along with the price increase....whether it is actual service issues, tricky fees they havent seen before, etc...

Virtually all people here that I have seen usually have specific gripes about their service along with the price increase....whether it is actual service issues, tricky fees they havent seen before, etc...

7 of 9 (701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 7:29:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

TaxDawg wrote:

It was sarcastic.  People come in once a year around Feb/Mar time frame and complain that AT&T is raising their rates.  People seem to think it's only AT&T that raise their prices.

TaxDawg wrote:

It was sarcastic.  People come in once a year around Feb/Mar time frame and complain that AT&T is raising their rates.  People seem to think it's only AT&T that raise their prices.

8 of 9 (675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2013 8:44:26 PM
(0)
Teacher

Every service provider out their including, Cable. Satellite and U-Verse are all raising rates period. It just the nature of the beast. One of many reason for this is because new HD content, newer shows being brodcasted. Satellite companies have had a huge fight with AMC networks and ATT Hallmark channel fight has lead to price increases. But their are some companies out their like our old Cable company that charged way to much. 

Every service provider out their including, Cable. Satellite and U-Verse are all raising rates period. It just the nature of the beast. One of many reason for this is because new HD content, newer shows being brodcasted. Satellite companies have had a huge fight with AMC networks and ATT Hallmark channel fight has lead to price increases. But their are some companies out their like our old Cable company that charged way to much. 

9 of 9 (648 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments