Helpful Links

Comcast has highest prices and biggest price increase over all providers

Comcast has highest prices and biggest price increase over all providers

Really no shocker, but Comcast is claiming that customer will benefit by them aquiring TWC, only people that will benefit are Comcast share holders.  AT&T has the smallest price increase. Article here

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 1 of 11
ACE - Master

Re: Comcast has highest prices and biggest price increase over all providers

oufanindallas wrote:

Really no shocker, but Comcast is claiming that customer will benefit by them aquiring TWC, only people that will benefit are Comcast share holders.  AT&T has the smallest price increase. Article here

OUFan - Yeah but....  Smiley Wink 

rfac1058.gif

So, who is Freepress.net?  Just look to the right of the "article," there is a giant "Stop the Merger" graphic and a "take action Now" link.   So, this freepress.net must be a PAC.  As far as their graphic with price increases, it's pretty much bunk.  Comcast's basic cable (loss leader "basic" cable) has increased but they have a Digital Economy which is the same price that the Limited Basic used to cost, $20/month.  Even with "limited basic" in Indy, it's been a 40% increase but they have something that would be the same lower price and more channels.  Another red flag is that they picked and chose which markets to use, they used AT&T from Chicago and Comcast from Boston - so not a real apples to apples comparison.  Since it's apparent it's a PAC, I wonder if AT&T contributed to it? Smiley Surprised Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
ACE - Expert

I can't form quite the same negative opinion about freepress.net (I'm including what I recall you wrote in the other thread).  They've been issuing press releases for long before this merger and have argued against AT&T's position in the past; see:

http://www.freepress.net/press-release/101911/free-press-att-plan-would-end-all-oversight-communicat...

Just because they are a PAC (and I guess they fit the definition) doesn't mean that they're evil.

You can't get an apples to apples comparison in a single city since these players don't all play in the same cities, though you could at least take averages over mulitiple cities.  But AT&T's prices seem to have standardized nationwide, so that wouldn't change their rates at all.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 11
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

I can't form quite the same negative opinion about freepress.net (I'm including what I recall you wrote in the other thread).  They've been issuing press releases for long before this merger and have argued against AT&T's position in the past; see:

http://www.freepress.net/press-release/101911/free-press-att-plan-would-end-all-oversight-communicat...

Just because they are a PAC (and I guess they fit the definition) doesn't mean that they're evil.

You can't get an apples to apples comparison in a single city since these players don't all play in the same cities, though you could at least take averages over mulitiple cities.  But AT&T's prices seem to have standardized nationwide, so that wouldn't change their rates at all.  

Agreed they do seem to fight the good fight, in terms of net neutrality and media giants but to say that AT&T has never had a Premium Channel price increase (0%) is a bit of "Coocoo for Cocoa Puffs."  The HBO, SHO and so on increases are merged in with the U300/U450 increases.  Yes, UV has held the line on increases compared to most.....

Message 4 of 11
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

...AT&T has never had a Premium Channel price increase (0%) ....

I don't believe they said that.  They said that "Basic Cable" (footnoted as U-Basic in Chicago) didn't go up.  But what they didn't note is that AT&T added a Local Broadcast Channels fee and increased it in the past year, which effectively is a price increase of around 5%. Still less than Comcast's 68%.  Time Warner's -2.5% was probably accomplished with similar shenanigans.

They said that Premium Channels (footnoted as U-450 in Chicago, ignoring the fact that U-450 wasn't available at the beginning of this time period) went up 8%.

Message 5 of 11
Scholar

Just got a begging flyer from Comcast in yesterday's mail entitled "A lot has changed", promising Digital Starter (less than U-200) with Blast 50Mbps HSI, HBO and their souped-up OnDemand (Streampix) for $89.99/mo for first 12, and "add X1 DVR for only $7.99/mo more!" (for 12 mo).  Naturally, after the first 12, price goes up $20/mo and X1 DVR goes to $10/mo -- but after 24 mo, regular price hits, and, you guessed it, ANOTHER $20/mo increase.  HD is $9.95/mo, regular price, all the time.

Dug out an old bill from 2011, and just for giggles, here was the rundown:

Preferred Double Play (All digital channels + HBO + 25Mbps HSI) -- 79.99

DVR Service (discounted $9.95 due to Uverse including it) -- 0.00

HD Service (regular price) -- 8.95

Showtime (discounted $10 because of Uverse including in U-300) -- 10.00

Starz (as above, discounted $10) -- 10.00

Sports Pack (regular price, but hardly comparable to AT&T) -- 7.95

Additional STB (digital only, no DVR access, discounted $3 because of AT&T) -- 3.95

HSI Modem (regular price) -- 5.00

TOTALS:  $125.84 with $32.95 in discounts = $158.79 regular price (w/o taxes etc)

So today, if I went back to them, I'd get LESS channels than what I had before, about the same HSI as if I'd never gone, pay $8-10 extra each month for an extra 2-stream recording, lose two Premium services, lose Sports Pack, not have an extra STB and pay (at regular price) $157.94 vs $158.79 (with $8 Modem fee today).

Looking at my previous numbers versus their offer, it sure doesn't look like ANYTHING has changed.  In fact, it's looking like paying more for LESS -- just in their service levels.

What an accomplishment in two years ..........

Notes:

1.  At that time, Uverse had 4-record DVR and multiroom in my area.  (They always had a problem promo-ing off the DVR until I told them they should be giving me TWO DVRs instead of just one.  Grumbling ensued, naturally.)

2.  In comparing TV, Comcast added under 10 channels in 2 years (one being the highly-wanted and watched C-SPAN in HD), so in my old package they would have been included.  In the offer mentioned, I would be getting over 40 LESS channels.

3.  HSI would essentially be unchanged.  One neighbor currently has what I used to, that being "Performance" HSI, and he's getting 50Mbps down with no upgrade or change done, bill saying as much.

Message 6 of 11
Traveler

How's that UVerse 'On Demand' selection working for you?  Who said that you had to get Comcast Streampix which is a version of Streampix in a way with a larger database.  The X1 technology blows any technology out of the water...  I can gurantee that Comcast is the better option than U-Verse and by the way that 50mbps speedtier with Comcast just got bumped to 105mbps for no extra cost Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
Scholar

OK, normally I don't respond to these sort, and penance will be done later in the post.  The only reason I am responding is because this Kabletown KoolAid salesman *purposely* made a point to go through the entire process of registering here JUST to cause trouble, and more than likely will show up to see if anyone took his bait.  So let's have some fun:

How's that Uverse OnDemand working?  Just fine, since I haven't used it hardly at all, and while I was a Kabletown resident before switching, I used the Unfinity VOD the same amount.  However, the reason I didn't use the Unf VOD is because it was so unreliable.  In the limited times of using the Uverse VOD, it was basically no different than using the THDVR (multiple speed FF and REW, immediate response to remote presses) BUT, more importantly, I didn't have to wait to actually CONNECT to the VOD servers, then WAIT for the menus to catch up with my remote presses, then WAIT until a connection could actually start the program, and then WAIT if I wanted to FF through the program only to be foiled by MISSING my intended stopping point to resume the program because the Unfinity system had a hard time walking and chewing gum.

Oh, wait, you're probably talking about the *selection* of programs, right?  Well, it doesn't make any difference to me, because, see, I'm not stuck in the stone-age of VOD.  With my AT&T 4-program DVR I don't have to wait until whatever network tells me WHEN I can watch their program REPEATS.  And just because Discovery Networks thinks their networks are "too good" for AT&T customers doesn't stop me from being able to watch their "excellence" (BRB...feel a gag coming on) online from their own websites.  I don't need the training wheels of VOD to harness the power of my TV, and that's essentially what VOD is -- it's the "poor man's version" of DVR.  And in Kabletown, that's a wise choice, since even the wonderous "X1" carries a $10 monthly charge -- and you'd better believe that once Brian Roberts needs a bigger boat, he's going to put marching orders out raising that beyond the $10.

X1 blows others out of the water, huh?  Well, tell me Mr. Science, why did Comcrud bad mouth what AT&T was doing and then FINALLY think, "Gee, Vern, that Uverse thingamabob shure is makin' us look bad, maybee we shud do sumthin' like it" and take OVER 10 years to do so?  Yeah, certainly an example of "It's Comcastic!"

Now let's handle this whole "speed" thing.  Let's ask any streaming video client how their experience is when they're subjected to buffering issues, throttling and network congestion when they're paying close to or more than $100 per month for those "super-fast" tiers.  So, tell me also, does Google somehow come up faster than you can blink now that you're so fast?  How about YouTube videos, do those just seamlessly play for you with no burps?  And lest we forget, how's those speeds when everybody on your neighborhood node decides they want to play around online at the same time?  Even with DOCSIS, Comcrud still hasn't figured out how to stop that from slowing down the system for everyone.

Hope I've answered your questions, and really, you don't need to respond anymore.  Your Kabletown customers are waiting for their KoolAid.

----------------------------------------------

Now, as promised, my penance.  I'll do 997 more on Notepad:

I will not feed the trolls

Message 8 of 11

@vid30jk 

Well said.  I've had UVerse since 2009 and haven't had any issues, in 3 different locations.  As for VOD, I don't have a problem with the selection since I too have many other means of watching shows available.  My ROKU allows me access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu +, etc.  My biggest problem is I don't have enough hours in a day to watch all the shows that I would like to.  

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 9 of 11
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

@vid30jk 

Well said.  I've had UVerse since 2009 and haven't had any issues, in 3 different locations.  As for VOD, I don't have a problem with the selection since I too have many other means of watching shows available.  My ROKU allows me access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu +, etc.  My biggest problem is I don't have enough hours in a day to watch all the shows that I would like to.  

Me too!  

I will say that if I had U200 or UFamily, that VoD might make a difference but even with U300, I NEVER look at VoD (either paid or unpaid).  For some, weaker VoD might be a deal breaker but I would not know as I don't use it.

Message 10 of 11
Scholar

Back before I got bitten by "The DVR Bug" and my TV habits changed, I actually DID use Comcrud VOD simply because of the old quandry: "There's nothing on (that I feel like watching)!"  I've always found it frustrating, in a way, to just "settle" if I feel like watching TV over doing anything else and do the "Oh well, this is better than nothing."  So VOD did fill that void.

But as time has evolved, VOD has gotten worse, IMO.  In the early days, there were no commercials, or it would be like what PBS does: runs a "sponsor" ad before and after the program.  The broadcast networks pooh-poohed the whole VOD thing until they practically were forced to deal with it as something people actually used, so they told the cable companies to disable the FF to FORCE people to watch the ads.  With the DVD movie business going in a downward spiral, you'd think the studios would lower the VOD prices accordingly.  Nope.  Most noticeably in the "adult" business -- come ON, $14.95 for a 70 or 80 minute program?  Have they ever heard of this thing called the INTERNET?

Comcast, at least, has started restricting even the "free" VOD on their systems to whatever you are *subscribed* to.  For example, they may not have DIY Network or Cooking Channel available in an area, BUT they *do* have VOD programs available from them.  EXCEPT, even though you don't have that channel full-time on your lineup, you can PAY extra to get those VOD programs.  Or another example being that you may have their "Digital Starter" with access to Discovery Networks' channels except for Destination America.  So when you go to that category in the "free" section, you can't get it, unless you pay for a higher tier.  You may say that's pretty understandable, however Comcast used to pride itself on having all of that programming available as long as you were in a package that got OnDemand.  (They used to include that in their ads against U-verse and DirecTV, especially with their HD availability.)

VOD has evolved, in my view, into what I previously termed it: the "poor man's DVR."  It's for someone who doesn't want to drive up to the Redbox machine for new DVDs.  It's for those whose TV experience is made up of mostly watching the broadcast networks.  It's for those who like a series, but don't make it "appointment" television, so they can gorge themselves all at one time to get caught up.

With AT&T including such a terrific DVR in the most popular packages, you'd think more customers would wean themselves away from reliance on VOD.

Guess it's like using a computer.  Discovering the true potential requires some effort.  The computer can balance your checkbook faster than doing it "longhand" and practically without errors (if the user doesn't mess up).  But it won't do it on its own if all you do is open and close the program that tells you, "Welcome.....You've got mail!"

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Having service trouble? There is an app for that!

Click here to check it out or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. You can quickly and easily resolve your service woes!

Do you need to contact us? Chat with us!

Additional Support