meskly's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, December 16th, 2015 10:23 PM

Comcast X1 customer that just moved to U-Verse

Just wanted to give my opinion and try to help out AT&T with their U-Verse Platform.

I have been a Comcast customer for a decade.  I just moved a few weeks ago to U-Verse from the X1 platform.  There are some nice features with U-Verse, but there are some very large shortcomings that they NEED to improve on.

The first is their search functionality.  Way too hard on U-Verse to find anything.  With X1, you just type in the firsts few letters of a show, channel, actor, etc, and you can easily get to where you want.  This is HUGE!  U-verse needs to implement this ASAP. 

The OnDemand selection and the way it works in U-Verse is very limited.  With X1, I rarely needed to use the DVR to record anything...  it was way more of a streaming device where I could just search for a show or movie and watch it whenever.  With U-Verse, I find myself having to set recordings.  It's a gigantic step backwards.

Don't mean to knock U-Verse.  Comcast has its shortcomings, especially with customer service, however, Comcast is WAY ahead in technology. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

What, exactly, is it about the U-verse SEARCH functionality that is inferior to Comcast's?  Because you can search by title and actor (and team name for sports) in U-verse.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

The Comcast X1's remote's number pad is like a telephone where it has 3 letters per key.  You don't have to click on any menu buttons or anything.  While you're watching TV, at any time, just type in the first few letters of a show, channel, actor, movie, ANYTHING, and it will pull it up in a list. 

I can find what I want on X1 in literally 2 seconds.  With U-VErse, I have to click the Menu button, scroll down to Search, then use the arrow keys and bounce around a bunch of letters one by one on the screen.  The whole process takes a minimum of 20 seconds (and that's being generous).    

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@meskly wrote:

The Comcast X1's remote's number pad is like a telephone where it has 3 letters per key.  You don't have to click on any menu buttons or anything.  While you're watching TV, at any time, just type in the first few letters of a show, channel, actor, movie, ANYTHING, and it will pull it up in a list. 

I can find what I want on X1 in literally 2 seconds.  With U-VErse, I have to click the Menu button, scroll down to Search, then use the arrow keys and bounce around a bunch of letters one by one on the screen.  The whole process takes a minimum of 20 seconds (and that's being generous).    

You can also use the number keys for the letters on the U-verse remote.  Yes, you do have to click Menu, and select Search first.  How does the DIRECTV system know you're not entering a channel number when you just start pushing buttons?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@meskly    Yeah, yeah, we know Comcrap is the On Demand king, should be after more than 30 years in the business.  ATT Uverse is only about 8 years old and started w/nothing.

I've had Uverse for more than 7 years and On Demand here has grown leaps and bounds over those 7 years.

Things may be changing in the new year as ATT is bringing out a Home Media Gateway, built on DirecTV arhitecture w/thin hardware profiles, that will replace the RG/DVR/STBs.  Seems all program material will be coming from the 'cloud' thru the broadband connection.

Might just put Comcrap to shame for their lousy selection then. Smiley LOL

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

My U-verse remote doesn't have any letters on the number pad. 

On the Comcast X1 remote, when you type in the first few letters, it gives you the channel as a selection on top, but also a list of shows, actors, movies, etc.  The more letters you type, the narrower the selection. 

I'm no Comcast fan because I absolutely hate their billing structure and their awful customer service.  But seriously, their search functionality is awesome....  once you try it, it's hard to go back.

Also, not only was there a ton more OnDemand content with Comcast, but their OnDemand was more integrated with their DVR.  For instance, if you were watching live TV and flipping through stations, if you came upon a program that was also in the OnDemand catalog, it would give you the option to "Start from beginning". 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@meskly wrote:

My U-verse remote doesn't have any letters on the number pad. 

So?  You mean you have to look?

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I have no loyalty or bias towards Comcast.  Their customer service is brutal and the main reason I switched to AT&T.  Trust me, I want to like AT&T more, but it didn't take me long to realize that Comcast is way more innovative with their technology. 

These are things that AT&T can fix.  Especially the Search functionality.  That is why I posted.  Hopefully someone from AT&T who designs this stuff reads it and actually looks at what Comcast has and implements their good things, instead of just calling them Comcrap and remaining ignorant to emerging technologies.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, I have to look. 

Scholar

• 

276 Messages

8 years ago

@meskly wrote:

I have no loyalty or bias towards Comcast.  Their customer service is brutal and the main reason I switched to AT&T.  Trust me, I want to like AT&T more, but it didn't take me long to realize that Comcast is way more innovative with their technology. 

These are things that AT&T can fix.  Especially the Search functionality.  That is why I posted.  Hopefully someone from AT&T who designs this stuff reads it and actually looks at what Comcast has and implements their good things, instead of just calling them Comcrap and remaining ignorant to emerging technologies.

I do not want U-verse to be like Comcast. Go back if you are not happy.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

8 years ago

FYI I am a current 2 yr uverse att coustemer and my contact up now I called att said uverse is leaving so take direct tv which we had for 8 yrs prior so be ready for the change its coming 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.