Comcast Time Warner merger

Professor

Comcast Time Warner merger

Message 1 of 9 (471 Views)

Re: Comcast Time Warner merger

@NorthLineTony  wrote:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140428/BUSINESS06/304280124/Comcast-customers-in-Michigan-may-go-to-n...

Wow, talk about a cluster.

Looks more like they're trying to run a game of three card monte or hide the queen customer.

They must figure if they shuffle the shells around enough, the government wont be able to find the pea. Unfortunately, they're probably right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 2 of 9 (438 Views)
ACE - Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

@NorthLineTony  wrote:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140428/BUSINESS06/304280124/Comcast-customers-in-Michigan-may-go-to-n...

Wow, talk about a cluster.

Looks more like they're trying to run a game of three card monte or hide the queen customer.

They must figure if they shuffle the shells around enough, the government wont be able to find the pea. Unfortunately, they're probably right.

Well, we knew that would happen and that Charter would buy many of the Comcast / TWC markets.  Not sure how they decided on which ones to sell.....

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9 (415 Views)
Employee

I wonder if AT&T is going to be allowed to get in this? 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 9 (393 Views)
Mentor

It doesn't seem good here in Texas since Comcast after the merger will have a large monopoly of cable service area in the 4 largest metro areas(Dallas-Fort Worth,Houston,San Antonio and Austin). It seemed better when Time Warner and Comcast wasn't as big as they are now. 

Message 5 of 9 (381 Views)

Pbert35 wrote:

It doesn't seem good here in Texas since Comcast after the merger will have a large monopoly of cable service area in the 4 largest metro areas(Dallas-Fort Worth,Houston,San Antonio and Austin). It seemed better when Time Warner and Comcast wasn't as big as they are now. 

That can just as easily said about AT&T. Problem is, they've all been allowed to get too big.

With banks, it's "Too big to fail". With providers it's "so big, can't help but fail", at least from the consumers point of view.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 6 of 9 (373 Views)

Pbert35 wrote:

Not sure if Houston has TWC, but heard on the news yesterday TWC would be changing to Comcast.  While not a Rockets or Astro's fan, it would at least give them more exposure in those areas that don't have Comcrap sports net Houston.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 7 of 9 (363 Views)
Mentor

No, it's the small area of Charter in Spring that goes away on this. I don't actually know there service area but it's the largest non-Comcast in Houston(others you would have to fish out on the Internet). Up until 2006, Houston had TWC. Most of the cable junction boxes at the apartments I lived at since moving here 6+ yrs ago have TWC on them. Only politics causes this. Here in Houston there are 10+ grocery store chains but your choices for Pay TV is down to Comcast,DirectTV,Dish, AT&T(better than it was 5 yrs ago) or maybe CenturyLink or small cable provider. That's quite terrible for 6+ million people in the Houston metro. The Charter service area in Tarrant county goes away as well with this. I'm not a Rockets fan and slightly a fan of the Astro's, I think the still isn't going to work since Comcast will increse the cost to much more cord cutting(Hulu,Netflix and other streaming services will get bigger). For all Comcast claims on speed, it wasn't just 5 yrs that they were only advertising 20 mbps as there high end. 

Message 8 of 9 (347 Views)

Pbert35 wrote:

No, it's the small area of Charter in Spring that goes away on this. I don't actually know there service area but it's the largest non-Comcast in Houston(others you would have to fish out on the Internet). Up until 2006, Houston had TWC. Most of the cable junction boxes at the apartments I lived at since moving here 6+ yrs ago have TWC on them. Only politics causes this. Here in Houston there are 10+ grocery store chains but your choices for Pay TV is down to Comcast,DirectTV,Dish, AT&T(better than it was 5 yrs ago) or maybe CenturyLink or small cable provider. That's quite terrible for 6+ million people in the Houston metro. The Charter service area in Tarrant county goes away as well with this. I'm not a Rockets fan and slightly a fan of the Astro's, I think the still isn't going to work since Comcast will increse the cost to much more cord cutting(Hulu,Netflix and other streaming services will get bigger). For all Comcast claims on speed, it wasn't just 5 yrs that they were only advertising 20 mbps as there high end. 

I doubt this has as much to do about Pay TV as it does about what's going on at the FCC right now regarding Internet access.

Message 9 of 9 (325 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.

Additional Support