Can anyone recommend a good alarm company?

ACE - Master

Can anyone recommend a good alarm company?

I am at my wits end with ADT.  I have had my alarm system installed for 7 years (by Brinks which is now ADT) and I received an email from my insurance company (USAA) promoting special rates for USAA members.  These rates included a monthly monitoring fee of $29.99 which would save me $10.00 a month.  I called ADT to enquire about upgrading my system to the latest technology so I could add integrated cameras to the outside of my house, a newer touch screen control pad, etc.  My existing system does not support any of these features.  I also asked about the reduced monitoring rates.

Now for the people who think AT&T reps are bad......This rep at ADT told me there were no such monitoring rates even though I was looking at the email and even offered to forward it.  I was also told that once an alarm system was installed by Brinks/ADT it is NEVER upgraded because they are all the same.  So I had to ask this "rep" if she knew anything about technology.  I told her that this was my second alarm system so they do get upgraded.  The first one was installed in 1985 and then replaced with my current one.

After asking to be transferred to someone else she told me it would do no good since she has now placed notes in my account so any rep would see what we talked about and I would get the same answers.  I told her I would just cancel my service and wait 30 days and call back as a new customer and ask for a local sales person to come out and evaluate services.  This lady had an answer for everything.........She told me my address would come up as a previous customer showing I already had alarm equipment installed so a sales person would still not come out and they would just re-activate the monitoring portion only.

I am so ready to dump these jokers it's not funny.  I just can't imagine why in the world when a customer wants to add features or upgrade equipment they won't do it?

Anyway, I feel better.....rant overSmiley Surprised

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 15 (1,460 Views)
Expert

Re: Can anyone recommend a good alarm company?

[ Edited ]

I have had similar experiences with ADT, and I believe it's a specific thing to the USAA-connected customers. I think there's a special small section of support reps that are solely for the USAA customers, and they have much poorer customer service than the normal ADT reps.

If you cancel and call back 30 days later, go through ADT directly rather than try to use the USAA discount, and I'll bet you get very different treatment.

But I also know that you can indeed get upgrades if you get the right person on the phone.  I was able to upgrade my system to cell-phone monitoring when I cancelled my home POTS line, and was able to keep the USAA discounts.

Message 2 of 15 (1,454 Views)
ACE - Master

Thanks SJ.  I asked if I was talking to a USAA support rep and she told me there was no such thing that they are all the same.  She said they only have special USAA reps to take "new" sales calls which I did get when I called and then was promptly transferred once I explained what I wanted to do.  It went down hill from there.

All I was trying to do was get someone from ADT sales to come out and talk to me about upgrades to my system, i.e. cameras, new entry pad, option for using my smart phone to monitor cameras and alarm activity, etc.  You know all of the new stuff that is out there. 

They won't do it.  They want to send a tech and bill me hourly.  Maybe there techs now carry all of this equipment around so if a customer asks they just install it?  I doubt that.......

But remember all of the alarm systems BRINKS/ADT install are the same according to this gal.  Well I can't do any of this now so they can't be the same..right?Smiley Mad

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 15 (1,451 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master
Accepted by topic author BeeBeeSA
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Problem solved!!  Thanks SJ for bringing up the USAA rep part as it got me thinking how I arrived at the number I originally called.  This time I went straight to the ADT website since last time I clicked on the link in the USAA email, and there is a link to click on that says.........you guessed it "upgrade your current system".  Clicked on that and called the toll free number shown.

This guy I got knew his stuff.  He said ADT has to upgrade my system to be in compliance with USAA's partnership agreement with ADT.  It has to be ADT equipment and can not be the old Brinks stuff.  Told him what I wanted to talk about adding and a sales person is scheduled out Friday the 28th.  Wooooo  Hooooo! 

Message 4 of 15 (1,446 Views)
ACE - Expert

BeeBeeSA - This post reminded me of an ad I saw last night on TV. I knew it was fror ADT, but could not remember the service name. A quick search tells me it is ADT Pulse. Sounds like what you want to do. Here is someones experience that I believe sounds like yours -
http://frontpointblog.com/2011/01/06/adt-pulse-cost-and-review-how-does-pulse-really-work/
Message 5 of 15 (1,444 Views)
Expert

Awesome Beebee ... glad you got some results.

Just like another company I know, it all depends on who you get on the other end of the call.
Message 6 of 15 (1,437 Views)
Professor

I have the best Smith & Wesson

Message 7 of 15 (1,429 Views)
ACE - Master

Yep aviewer..That is the product I want to look at.  Don't know what the final cost will be so that will determine if I move forward or not.

Shoe....I am well covered in the personal protection area but if I'm not home to use them I need a back up!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 15 (1,424 Views)
Employee

BeeBee glad to see you solved the problem that did not sound like the ADT I worked for 20 years ago. If you have time I would contact AARP and ADT and tell them how rude the CS rep was. Hope you got the CS name of course if she was not lying about the notes on your account then they should be able to tell who you talked too. She needs to find out two can play her game.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 15 (1,407 Views)
ACE - Master

I had my new alarm system installed today.  Boy is the ADT Pulse System nice.  Great features.......Quick question.....I had an old Linksys 10/100 switch at the office and brought it home for the alarm techs to use.  I had one of my techs run a cat 5e from he RG to the closet my alarm panel is located in.  I just want to make sure I don't need a special switch to segregate the uverse packets from the internet that the alarm needs to use.  So far everything seems to work.....to include TV and internet.  Phone is a land line so all is good there.

What do you all think?  Am I okay using the Linksys?

Message 10 of 15 (1,386 Views)
Expert

If the alarm system is plugged directly into the RG, then you should have no problem. The RG will prevent IPTV traffic from getting to the alarm system.

Where you would have a problem would be if the alarm system was plugged into a switch that also had an STB on it. Then IPTV packets would hit the alarm system when the STB was in use, possibly interrupting necessary communications from the alarm system to the Internet.
Message 11 of 15 (1,392 Views)
ACE - Master

Okay...Thanks SJ!!  I think I'm good then.

Message 12 of 15 (1,384 Views)
Expert

That looks like a cool system...and now a working weather station (to replace your ATT Home Manager)?

Message 13 of 15 (1,374 Views)
Expert

I had a new alarm system installed a few months ago.  When the salesman was here selling the system I made sure it was compatable with Uverse.  As it was installed I was here to make sure everything worked properly with no problems interfering with the Uverse services or the alarm system.   This is a monitored system for fire, as well as break-ins and everything works as it is supposed to.

Message 14 of 15 (1,370 Views)
ACE - Master

spd2demun wrote:

That looks like a cool system...and now a working weather station (to replace your ATT Home Manager)?

I didn't get the interactive touch screen because they wanted $395 for it and it is simular to the homemanager touch screen where as you can't get internet access.  The only things that work are whatever apps ADT puts on there.  I wasn't getting cought in that trap again.

I am going to just spend about another $100 and get an iPad or somethig simular where I can get full internet and do allot more than what ADT was offering with their device. 

Message 15 of 15 (1,360 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.