COMPLAINT!!!!

COMPLAINT!!!!

[ Edited ]

August 25, 2012

ATT UVerse Customer Service

RE:  UVerse account under ****

Dear Sir or Madam:

Until about two weeks ago, I had internet and television services through ATT UVerse.  I ran into some financial difficulties and found myself unable to pay all of my bills.  My bill with ATT was approximately Four Hundred ($400.00) Dollars.  I contacted each of my creditors to work out payment arrangements, including ATT.  ALL of my creditors, EXCEPT for ATT, were willing to work with me.  ATT, however, refused to work out payment arrangements and demanded that the ENTIRE balance be paid.  When I stated that I could not afford to pay the entire balance at that time, I was told that my services would be cancelled.  I then stated that I would pay my bill as soon as possible.  I made that payment  in full yesterday, August 24, 2012, which was about two weeks later.  Never did I give any indication that I did not intend to pay my bill, and never did I authorize or give my consent for my account to be “cancelled.”  As predicted, ATT did disconnect my services shortly after my telephone call attempting to make payment arrangements.

So, I have been without television and internet services for about two weeks.  Yesterday, I contacted ATT and paid my entire balance over the telephone, using my debit card.  ATT had no problem accepting my payment.  When I inquired about the reconnection of my services, I was told that services would automatically be restored within the next two hours.  I waited patiently, and two hours later, I still did not have my services back on.  I then called ATT several times, and after I finally reached a customer service representative, my call was mysteriously disconnected.  When I called back, the automated system told me that customer service reps were no longer available for the day, as it was now after 5 p.m.  I waited until this morning and called ATT again.  When I reached a customer service agent this time, I was told that my account had been “cancelled” and that services could not, therefore, be reconnected.  I stated I had not cancelled my account or instructed anyone else to cancel it and that the last time I spoke with ATT, I said that I would pay my balance as soon as possible.  The customer service rep told me that the account was cancelled and that I would have to set up a new account with ATT.  I reluctantly agreed to do this.  Then, the agent told me that ATT had discovered an old cell phone bill of mine wherein I owed ATT Eight Hundred ($800.00) Dollars and that I would have to pay that amount before a new account could be set up for me.  I JUST paid ATT FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS!  And now ATT is asking for EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS more?!?

Firstly, until two weeks ago, I had an EXISTING UVerse account with ATT.  ATT never mentioned any old bill to me when that account was originally opened, nor at any time during the ENTIRE time that I had my current account.  However, somehow ATT has come up with this old bill and tells me that I have to pay this bill before ATT can open a NEW account for me, which I NEVER wanted.  I had requested that my CURRENT account be reinstated.  Secondly, this old cell phone bill has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with my CURRENT account.  Thirdly, the old bill was filed under my BANKRUPTCY, and therefore, I am NOT liable.  Fourthly, ATT TOLD me that my services would be reinstated after I paid my balance of Four Hundred ($400.00) Dollars, which I did YESTERDAY.  ATT deliberately LIED to me and used this deception in order to get my payment under FALSE PRETENSES.

When I informed ATT this morning that the old bill was under bankruptcy, I was told that the bankruptcy department was closed and would not be back open until Monday and that I would have to wait until Monday and speak with someone in the bankruptcy department and then MAYBE I could have a NEW account opened.  I do not WANT a new account.  I want my CURRENT account reinstated.  I KNOW that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE within the ATT company has the authority and the ability to do this, and I INSIST that it be done and be done IMMEDIATELY.  It is not my FAULT that ATT does not know what it is doing!!  And I am not jumping through any more hoops for ATT.  Further, due to the EXTREME DURESS that I am now under due to ATT’s lies and deception in accepting my payment under false pretenses and then having the audacity to demand ANOTHER Eight Hundred ($800.00) Dollars, I demand that my CURRENT account be reinstated WITHOUT ANY ADDITIONAL CHARGES OR FEES, of which ATT is so fond of tacking on.  If ATT is going to keep up the pretense of “not being able” to reinstate my CURRENT account, then I demand the immediate return of the Four Hundred ($400.00) Dollar payment that I just made, because ATT used fraud and misrepresentation in order to gain this amount. 

ATT has the most horrible customer service ever.  It takes at LEAST 30 minutes to even reach a live person.  There is NO complaint department.  There is no way listed on the website to even contact ATT, except for the same telephone number wherein you have to talk to a computer for 30 minutes.  The customer service representatives are either ignorant or deliberately unwilling to assist customers properly.

I will anticipate a PROMPT response from someone within the ATT company who KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING.  I can be reached at any time at ****

Sincerely,

Barbara

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 24 (1,932 Views)
Scholar

Re: COMPLAINT!!!!

[ Edited ]

I understand having to declare bankruptcy.  I did it myself 20 years ago when I was just out of college and getting started in my working life.  But that does not mean it is right.  I learned after that to work with people you owe money to and work out a repayment plan.  I have done that before and you know while I was paying on my payments I could not charge anything.  And no it was not through the court I did that on my own and you know it did not affect my credit at all.  All my creditors reported me as pay on time and pay as agree.  Utilities generally will not do payment plans which is their right.  And yes a debt incurred in bankruptcy can not be collected but I found out the companies you stiff do not have to do business with you or provide you with service.  And yes bankruptcy is running out on bills you owe.  I did not realize it when I filed but I do know.  I apologize if I sounded un caring about your situation.  I know it is not fun being treated like a deadbeat but that is going to happen for 5 to 6 years after you file and even then some creditors may never trust you for credit.  Even today 20 years later I can not buy a GM car because I filed bankruptcy on them so my last car was a Ford.  Since I now have good credit I can get financing and credit cards but not at banks I stiffed.  The best advise I could give is to make sure you pay all your bills on time and do not ask for payment arrangements as that sends up a red flag that you are still a credit risk.

I wish you luck but these issues will pass with time.

Message 16 of 24 (1,497 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

The school system must have changed so much in the last few months.  My children did not have to use the internet on a daily basis.  The baby just went to college last week.  They had books and school library to help them do their homework.  In fact, it worked better for my work schedule.  We utilized the library as the baby sitting center for few hours.  Pick them up after work and homework are usually finished by then.  They were actually NOT allowed to go on the internet at home on school days, UNLESS they really really HAVE to (and yes, I make sure first that they NEED to),  and after their homework is done.

So far, my issues with ATT can sometimes take more than one or two or three phone calls before they get resolved.  Yes, there may be some times when you get someone who don't seem to know what she/he's talking about, but more often than not, you can be lucky to talk to someone who can and will help you.

I'd keep calling if I were you.  There might be something that you and ATT can work out.

Goodluck.

Message 17 of 24 (1,486 Views)

mrsdawnjohnsonveryangry wrote:

As I state, I WAS in financialdifficulty but now I am in a position to catch up And remain current.  

As for my bankruptcy, AT&T was specifically listed as a creditor for the $800 cell phone bill and thus discharged under federal bankruptcy law.  Therefore, they cannot attempt to collect a debt that was discharged under bankruptcy.

They ran a credit check when I opened my current account.  There was no mention at that time of any old bills.

Yes, I paid the $400 for services received.  BUT, when I made that payment it was under the agreement that my services would be reconnected.  AND, I stayed in contact with AT&T before,during, and after my payment.  Remember that initially, I asked them to allow me to pay $ 200 on the bill and another $200 two weeks later.  This they refused to do.

Yes, they could have asked for a deposit, but that should have been done at the time they set up my current account, not now when I already had services with them.

If they don't wish pro continue providing services, then I can select anothprovider dear.  I just thought it would be easier to continue with AT&T since I have their equipment already.

Adoor using the library's Internet, I have 3 sons in school, and Internet is required to do homework on a daily basis.  Going

to the li

As I stated earlier there are exceptions to the bankruptcy laws that allow a creditor to reinstate debts. One I mentioned above the other I found states that if you continued to use the services after you filed but before it is was final, can constitute fraud and thus allow reinstatement. These rights may or may not be enforcable in the state where you live.

For your reference.

http://www.att.com/shop/internet/att-internet-terms-of-service.html#fbid=Hk5lwqOC_5N

section 5-b Suspension/Termination by AT&T or Yahoo!.

section 6-f  Late Payment & Failure to Pay

http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp

sections 4, 5, and 10

section 20-4

At this point I would think you have no other option for services besides a different provider. If AT&T did agree to provide you services, I would think it would only be under very cost prohibitive conditions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Message 18 of 24 (1,436 Views)
ACE - Professor

"When I informed ATT this morning that the old bill was under bankruptcy, I was told that the bankruptcy department was closed and would not be back open until Monday and that I would have to wait until Monday and speak with someone in the bankruptcy department and then MAYBE I could have a NEW account opened.  I do not WANT a new account.  I want my CURRENT account reinstated.  I KNOW that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE within the ATT company has the authority and the ability to do this, and I INSIST that it be done and be done IMMEDIATELY.  It is not my FAULT that ATT does not know what it is doing!!  And I am not jumping through any more hoops for ATT.  Further, due to the EXTREME DURESS that I am now under due to ATT’s lies and deception in accepting my payment under false pretenses and then having the audacity to demand ANOTHER Eight Hundred ($800.00) Dollars, I demand that my CURRENT account be reinstated WITHOUT ANY ADDITIONAL CHARGES OR FEES, of which ATT is so fond of tacking on.  If ATT is going to keep up the pretense of “not being able” to reinstate my CURRENT account, then I demand the immediate return of the Four Hundred ($400.00) Dollar payment that I just made, because ATT used fraud and misrepresentation in order to gain this amount. "

Once an account has been closed, whether voluntarily or for non-payment, AT&T has certain procedures that it must follow to determine whether the old account is reopened or a new account has to be created. In the end, though, it doesn't really matter, because a new credit check will be run either way.

It wasn't clear in your replies, but did you have the chance to speak with the AT&T bankruptcy center yet? When I was a rep, I had a customer who said a final bill on a cell phone account should have been discharged under bankruptcy. I placed the customer on hold and called the bankruptcy department. The rep took a look and saw that there had been an error, and got the final bill updated to bankruptcy status, so it was no longer due.  The whole process took about 5 minutes. If the bankruptcy depmartment doesn't have that record, you might need to contact your bankruptcy lawyer and make sure that that bill was, in fact, included in bankruptcy protection. Like Computer Joe said, there may be other circumstances you've forgotten or were never informed of.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 24 (1,347 Views)
Contributor

Thank you for your story. I couldn't agree more. How much money is enough. Customer service is not their goal. Corporate greed is. 10.00 per month per basic service, phone, internet and TV is plenty (being a monopoly!). Even resaurants are cutting their prices to create more customers. ATT and others are making packages that require more than useable services as "entertainmet." I want pay as I go entertainment. I don't want or can possibly use more than 10 TV stations, so I don't want to pay for them. All I want is basic phone, internet, and TV for basic price, 10.00 each per month. If I want more then I'll ask for it. I don't like being required to get all this stuff, when I'm neither interested no able to use it. Service means service, not extrotion!

Message 20 of 24 (791 Views)
ACE - Expert

borky410 wrote:

Thank you for your story. I couldn't agree more. How much money is enough. Customer service is not their goal. Corporate greed is. 10.00 per month per basic service, phone, internet and TV is plenty (being a monopoly!). Even resaurants are cutting their prices to create more customers. ATT and others are making packages that require more than useable services as "entertainmet." I want pay as I go entertainment. I don't want or can possibly use more than 10 TV stations, so I don't want to pay for them. All I want is basic phone, internet, and TV for basic price, 10.00 each per month. If I want more then I'll ask for it. I don't like being required to get all this stuff, when I'm neither interested no able to use it. Service means service, not extrotion!

Many are going to devices (such as Roku) where you can buy only what you want to buy.  But the video providers, AT&T among them, are not in that role, can't operate in that model now, no matter how you might want them to.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 24 (775 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

borky410 wrote:

Wow.  All this time, I thought AT&T was a "for profit" company.  I guess that I was wrong.....  At this time, AT&T does not have a "pay what you can plan."

Now, coming back to planet earth, there is no and most likely never will be a $10/month phone, $10/month internet and $10/month basic (loss leader) TV provider.  Infrastructure and fees they have to pay out (to TV channels, phone connections and T1 backbone lines) have made this impossible.  $20 a month per service is certainly doable.

Message 22 of 24 (775 Views)

dhascall wrote:

borky410 wrote:

Wow.  All this time, I thought AT&T was a "for profit" company.  I guess that I was wrong.....  At this time, AT&T does not have a "pay what you can plan."

Now, coming back to planet earth, there is no and most likely never will be a $10/month phone, $10/month internet and $10/month basic (loss leader) TV provider.  Infrastructure and fees they have to pay out (to TV channels, phone connections and T1 backbone lines) have made this impossible.  $20 a month per service is certainly doable.

Sure there are, no contract prepaid cell phones, internet at the library is free and putting up an antenna and watching OTA channels are also free.  There you go, problem solved.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 23 of 24 (764 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

oufanindallas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

borky410 wrote:

Sure there are, no contract prepaid cell phones, internet at the library is free and putting up an antenna and watching OTA channels are also free.  There you go, problem solved.

Right but that person wanted "cable" TV for $10, internet at their house and a home phone for $10, a piece.  I understand the "hyper budget" / no frills movement but that is not want borky was demanding in his/her diatrible.

Message 24 of 24 (751 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.