Helpful Links

Well, it is official.. verizon bought Yahoo

ACE - Professor

Well, it is official.. verizon bought Yahoo

Not a clue what will become of ATT's e-mail service, since Verizon is a direct competitor to ATT.

But, the wait is over, the sale is done, and soon, Verizon will merge it into AOL (which they also own) and your guess is as good as mine (maybe even better) what will become of our e-mail accounts.

At least, I only use MY att account for att related messages, and g-mail for everything else.

Good luck to everyone else with issues, and hope they get resolved in the near future.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-25/nintendo-set-to-plunge-after-saying-pokemon-go-s-i...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 13

Verizon bought Yahoo so what you think eventually happens to Uverse Yahoo Email?

Just curious if everyone thought it was a good idea for AT&T Uverse to look for a new Mail client for their Uverse customers since Verizon is most likely going to spam people with joining their Wireless Cellular network and possibly their FIOS Cable network through everything Yahoo!

Message 2 of 13
Tutor

Yahoo just sold to Verizon. What happens to our email access?

So what happens to "ATT - Sbcglobal.net - Yahoo" emails since the sale of Yahoo was just completed to Verizon?

Message 3 of 13
ACE - Professor

Re: Yahoo just sold to Verizon. What happens to our email access?

The same thing that will happen to every other business partner e-mail accounts Yahoo runs.

Presently, unknown.

To be fair, it will most likly continue as it has, to present. I doubt (though I could be wrong) they will even change Yahoo's name.

Case in point, ATT bought DirecTv, and so far, it still has the same name, and most likly will keep that name, indefinatly.

There are new programing changes that ATT made to dtv's lineup, but as I understand it, for the most part, it is pretty much the same as it was. (The online streaming services are new, but the satilitte operation is still the same.)

Once the dust settles, I am hoping they will address these connectivity issues folks have been experiancing lately. I really do.

Thanks for the feedback.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 13
Scholar

Using DirecTV as an example is NOT valid since DirecTV was bought BY AT&T. Yahoo was bought by a DIRECT competitor of AT&T and it is NOT good for AT&T to rely on a competitor to provide a major feature. Sort of like Ford relying on GM to build and maintain transmissions used in Ford vehicles: GM's needs/wants would always take precedence over those of Ford. Ditto Verizon's will always take precedence over AT&T's.

Message 5 of 13
Employee

A couple things....

First a sale was agreed to, like an engagement... The act itself has not been completed.

The SALE is expected to be completed 1Q 2017, so for the next 6-8 months, Yahoo is still Yahoo.

Second Verizon bought AOL last year year for $4 billion and AOL.com is still AOL.com.

Third partnership agreements in place...

Yahoo had agreements to provide services for several telecos besides AT&T. They include Verizon in US, Rogers In Canada, and BT Group headgeadquarter in London but operating in 170 countries. Like carriage agreements these will be dealt with at the time they expire.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 13
ACE - Professor

This is a cut and paset of a reply i posted on another thread, and am re-posting here.

Please keep in mind, I am another user sharing at bestr, his personal guess.. might be right, could be tottaly wrong:

I am basing this largely one what happened after the ATT aquisition of Direcvt. 

Verizon will allow the dust to settle first and allow yahoo to run as it has been, BUT, hopefully, will insist on the tech guys stepping in, and actually doing their jobs to address issues customers (the guys who are paying them indirectly to provide quality e-mail service for ATT and other business partners() are having.

The parts of Yahoo verizon was mainly interest in, are the ones they can intergrate into their aol platform. (heck, maybe even improve it.)

The e-mail services where simply added to sweeten the deal, but will mostly be allowed to run as the have been, even though verizon and att are technically rivals.

The bulk of att's service provided by yahoo were supposed to be migrated over to synacore, and to be honest, I have not heard anthing about that in the news lately.

ATT and verizon are competitors, but I doubt the big v is petty enougfh to interfere with Yahoo's e-mail service. (ATT's in particular.)

My main hope is, now that the deal is done, they will crack down on e-mail customer service once again, now that it is no longer in a state of flux.

I could go on, but that is the jist of my speculation on the merger.

Just hope I am right.

Message 7 of 13
Mentor

Gmail here I come before I do anything affiliated Verizon...

Message 8 of 13
ACE - Professor

wdsteve wrote:

Gmail here I come before I do anything affiliated Verizon...

I personally prefer g-mail to over about any other e-mail service.. I do have a yahoo address, but truthfully, only use it for things i will likly get spam from, and att's, i ONLY use for things directly related to ATt, and might be the biggest reason I have no issues with it.

I would personally recomend other services over Yahoo's. (Including its subcontracts, like ATT.) But, that is only my personal preferance, and everyone is free to do or don't, as they choose.

Message 9 of 13
Mentor

I use my ATT address for my serious important mail. Yahoo and Gmail for junk. I'm sure ATT will take care of it's internet subscribers...

Message 10 of 13
ACE - Professor

wdsteve wrote:

I use my ATT address for my serious important mail. Yahoo and Gmail for junk. I'm sure ATT will take care of it's internet subscribers...

As far as the actualy internet connecton services and equipment, yes.

The e-mail services provided by Yahoo.....   not so much.

But hey, if you are happy with it, and works for you, hallelua!

Message 11 of 13
Highlighted
Mentor

Hallelujah, Indeed...

Message 12 of 13
Observer

Can we get a definite answer from ATT ? Either we are losing this service to Verizon or things will stay the same . I need to transfer my documents to Google .

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues, we are here to chat!

Additional Support