Explore & discover

Helpful Links

why does directv suck so bad? Why am I paying for shopping channels? .

Tutor

why does directv suck so bad? Why am I paying for shopping channels? .

I have been paying for directv for nearly a year. WHY?  there is nothing but shopping on this stupid tv service .  Now I find I can't even access my local baseball team without a sports package!!  I realize the upper management only cares about their fat salaries but really they don't deserve a pile of garbage per week based on what they provide to their customers.  Instead of the Reds Giants game my choice is either shopping or the 600 pound mom show. REALLY?!  I don't want to watch any of this.  I loathe directv.  

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 38
Tutor

Re: why does directv suck so bad? Why am I paying for shopping channels? Fire Michael White.

I feel your pain. I'm 63 and 95% of the time I have no idea what they're talking about when they try to explain why service is so horrible. COS or DOS or DCS - what??? If you find anythig close to the old Direct. TV please let me know.
Message 16 of 38
Contributor

Re: why does directv suck so bad? Why am I paying for shopping channels? .

How do they get away with this!!! I have never had a service this bad in my life! I joined in Sept.and quoted a price for two years. I have yet to pay the price they quoted. Each month it goes up. Their service operator's speak limited English. The one American service rep I got said he gets so many angry customers he is surprised they are still in business.The internet is the worst.Do Not sign with this company!!!!! I wish I had read these comments before I signed up.

Message 17 of 38
Contributor

We've been DirectTV customers for over 14 years and I've never had so much trouble in 14 years than I have in the last month and a half. We are locked into another year with AT&T's horrible service and I guarantee we'll be canceling our contract in a year. AT&T will lose more money by not giving us proper credits based on our disruption of service. What terrible business practices. Think about how much money you would make if you kept your customers happy. Customers have choices now with internet streaming. 

Message 18 of 38
Mentor

*SIGH* I see maybe 10 people posting and complaining on here. Let's do the math 2.6 million satisfied customers. 10 not so satisfied......... 

You can complain all you want about directv and it's "Higher Ups" When it comes to programming it is all about marketing and ratings. 

Apparently these people above don't know about the thousands of people that can't leave their house do to a sickness or a handicap that only have tv. Apparently they don't care about other people in this country that can't go out on black friday to run with the masses and Directv is the only way sales can happen for that grandaughter for christmas tree happy days. 

Nevermind. It won't do any good all they worry about is themselves apparently. 

Message 19 of 38
Contributor

Direct Tv is the WORST! The Internet won't allow you to watch a movie without buffering! I should have read the 10 thousand complaints before being robbed!

Message 20 of 38
Contributor

Does anyone receive pixelated commercials Then the screen freezes

Message 21 of 38
Contributor

I have pixelated commercials and frozen screens. Tech support for  5 months has no Idea . Anyone else have this problem. ?

Supervisor said I need updated receiver .They sent me one today made in 2012 WHAT A JOKE  it is OLDER  then the one I have !

Message 22 of 38
Tutor

Literally the worst. It never works, and even the on demand u have to download and THEY STILL add charges 75% of the time. No one should get this service. I've had so many different cable services over the years and directv BY FAR sucks the worst. Not only that, if u do purchase the movie u still have to wait for it to download and as an added bonus u usually can't fast forward thru the commercials. This is a perfect example of a completely for profit service. They get more money from advertisers because u have to watch the commercials. DONT DO DIRECT TV...trust me
Message 23 of 38
Tutor

Direct tv is the worst I can't watch any sports and forget about on demand. If u live in the south, grande is the best BY FAR. Not only do u not have to purchase stuff* all the time but you can actually watch relevant sporting events. Also, direct tv makes it super hard to switch services. It's like they know how bad they suck. Even now I can't post this without being corrected.
Message 24 of 38
Tutor

Re: why does directv suck so bad? Why am I paying for shopping channels? Fire Michael White.

Are you serious...are u an employee
Message 25 of 38
Tutor

Yeah this is obviously an employee
Message 26 of 38
ACE - Expert

On Demand comes from the channel's servers so they are the ones preventing FF.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 27 of 38
ACE - Expert

@Ashrazsed

PPVs do not have commercials or FF restrictions.

Many channels, if you download from their On Demand library have FF restricted. This is set by the individual networks as they control the library and permissions. Directv does not restrict the FF themselves, they are just connecting you to the networks library but do not manage the rules of it.

Advertisers pay the networks they are on, not Directv. Directv has to pay the networks to carry them, and because many channels have one owner, Directv gets them in packs. This is why tv providers are not allowed to al-a-carte the majority of their channels.

Depends on what sports you are wanting to watch regarding how they work. Professional sports if an in-market team you watch on your locals or your Regional Sports Network (RSN). Your RSNs are included in Choice or above, based on address so you can go to www.directv.com/rsn to check. The Sports Pack $13.99 includes over 35 RSN and specialty sport networks, but will blackout professional games if they are out of market of course. Adding the Sports Pack to Family or Select is cheaper than going to Choice However if you have the Entertainment package it depends on the amount of your regulatory RSN fee added to Choice and above if the Sports Pack is cheaper or not. For out of market professional sports you get the seasonal package (NBA League Pass, NHL Center ICE, MLB Extra Innings, etc.) accordingly. The leagues and teams, and their agreements with local affiliates, determine your options for watching a particular game. TV providers cannot change those rules.

If you are having an issue where something that should be coming through is not, you could try posting on the forums to see if other customers could help. We use our knowledge and experience to help where we can.

In regards to switching services, Directv handles that in generally the same manner as most other companies. You call customer care as they want a live agent to discuss with you the situation and see if they can keep you as a satisfied customer. If their offers do not work, you decline and continue with closing the account which includes whatever info they have to go over so you know what to expect, including any ECF if your account still has time left on an agreement.

Regardless your final decision on the service, hope it goes better for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 28 of 38
Coach

I also had a terrible run in with them. We are actually talking to them right now. The facts of the matter are these; we got our programming. Both the signal and the on demand services were not working. The signal was inconsistent enough to where it made watching impossible. The on demand was nil, and actually wasted my time waiting for each video to load. (Which they did not) when we contacted the company on multiple occasions they tried to up sell us on protection plans and/or charge us for having a tech sent out to our house. The call center which they used in Central America did not understand the concept of capitalism wherein you pay for a product or service that performs a specific function. How can someone be expected to pay for a service which never worked in the first place? We will continue to attempt to conduct business with these people (while taking legal counsel on the basis of our contract) but there is no light get at the end of the tunnel. Can't wait to switch and we know many others in our neighborhood are fed up as well.
Message 29 of 38
ACE - Expert

@Fedupppp

If signal keeps not working, most likely that is an issue with the dish alignment or a loose connection. If a tech is needed you do have a 90 day warranty on the work they did from install so would not have to pay for a tech within that time. Outside of that tech visits are $99 if you do not have the optional equipment protection plan. This is because you own everything except the receivers/clients so is customer cost to maintain.

With your issues with signal and on demand, you could start your own thread with the specifics of the issue. Please be as detailed as possible, exact error messages, model of boxes, how are you connected to internet, speed of internet (subscribed and what you actually get), etc. We as other customers can try to help to see if maybe you can avoid having the service call.

Just as a note, On Demand is not a paid for service. It is considered a complimentary perk as it is a secondary benefit to their primary service which is TV by satellite which does not require internet. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 30 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support