Explore & discover

Helpful Links

why does directv suck so bad? Why am I paying for shopping channels? .

Tutor

why does directv suck so bad? Why am I paying for shopping channels? .

I have been paying for directv for nearly a year. WHY?  there is nothing but shopping on this stupid tv service .  Now I find I can't even access my local baseball team without a sports package!!  I realize the upper management only cares about their fat salaries but really they don't deserve a pile of garbage per week based on what they provide to their customers.  Instead of the Reds Giants game my choice is either shopping or the 600 pound mom show. REALLY?!  I don't want to watch any of this.  I loathe directv.  

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 38
Contributor

Re: why does directv suck so bad? Why am I paying for shopping channels? .

One more reason they suck I have the sunday ticket and changed my credit card and instead of just a place on the website i can change my card number i had to be on with thier support for over an hour. what a p)(o)(s) company!!!!!!

Message 31 of 38
ACE - Expert

@youzuck

You can change your auto pay card number on the website.

www.directv.com > My Bills and Transactions > Auto Bill Pay > Change Payment Method

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 38
Contributor

September 6th, 3rd day out of the last 5 that it's raining and low and behold no picture! I know what I signed on for, but I'm tired of it. Hey Verizon, cable channels just make a commercial about people sitting around waiting for their TV to come back and you'll get thousands of customers. Billing, equipment protection plan? Don't get me started. I figured out that they were charging me for a receiver that I didn't have for years. They're answer, oh we'll give you a slight refund, like 1/32 of the price because I didn't notice, really?  What about your free upgrade with equipment protection plan, they make it sound like all of your equipment should only be the latest and the greatest. Yeah more like one every 10 years. Hats off Direct TV you have sucking down to a science.  I know you won't miss me when I'm gone but I'll feel better.

Message 33 of 38
ACE - Expert

Most likely you dish isn't aligned correctly $99 covered if your have the protection plan or there are videos on youtube if you want to DIY. So you didn't call and deactivate that receiver or notice the added cost and you blame DTV. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 38
ACE - Expert

Unless a severe storm, regular rain should not affect service. This suggests a dish not optimally aligned, fixture is lose so shifts during light weather, or water is getting in where it shouldn't. Service call is $99 or covered if you have their optional equipment protection plan. Also covered if they were just working on it within the last 90 days. As mentioned above there are resources out of there to DIY if you want.

Directv has no way to know when you stop using a receiver. You have to call them and deactivate it off the account to stop being charged for it authorized on the service. Not doing so for years would certainly not be the responsibility of Directv. Be glad they are adjusting anything as they have no obligation to do so.

Latest and greatest equipment is a matter of opinion depending on what you use. For example the absolute newest system is the Genie-2 (1st model HS17) which has slightly more support on 4K but maxes out at 7 total tuners for your entire household. My home has a Genie (2nd model HR44) and 2 HDDVRs which gives us 9 tuners with flexibility for more HDDVRs if we add any other tvs down the road. So for me having a 1st line Genie (not the original HR34) is the greatest as I have the needed HDDVRs. For others a Genie-2 HS17(or 3rd gen Genie HR54 depending) would be desirable if they want to be in the early (almost prototype I would say) days of true 4K content. So an equipment upgrade is for either adding another tv, or upgrading a box to a different type of system (SD to HD, receiver only to DVR, Mini Genie Client to HDDVR, upgrading to the Genie in the 1st place, or a special 4K upgrade).

So depends on your current setup on what would be an upgrade for you. If you get an upgrade that requires sending a tech out, they are required to make sure your service is properly working before they leave so connections and dish alignment could be checked with it instead of having to do separate orders.

Regardless if you stay with Directv or not, I hope you no longer ignore your bills with any company.

Message 35 of 38
Contributor

I couldn't agree more but I thought it was just my area (chicago) I pay $108 a month for my package and don't even get "free channels" I get with my antenna lol...
Message 36 of 38
ACE - Expert

As long as you are not in a super old package where locals had to be added separately, all current packages include locals. Directv can only provide you locals based on your Designated Market Area (DMA) as per Federal regulations. Naturally they have to have permission to carry the channel from the local affiliate. Most "sub-channels" however are not carried at this time. To double check what you should be receiving: www.directv.com/locals

And if you are in an old enough package that doesn't include locals, there is a good chance a current package would be a better fit, just depends on what you watch.

Message 37 of 38

If you're lucky enough to have another company in your area offering a condo package, check with them to see if they'll pay your cancellation costs. I'm with DirectTV, and Spectrum, my former supplier, will pay up to $500 in cancellation costs if you switch. However, this isn't an endorsement of Spectrum, who will give you a low price to switch, and then rapidly raise your rates.

Message 38 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support