Explore & discover

Helpful Links

fees

Contributor

fees

Anyone receive notice about a reconnect fee of $35 starting Mar 1 2017?

Message 1 of 9
Associated Member

Re: fees

Directv is notifying their customers of a restoral fee. Basically if your services are interrupted due to non-payment there is a $35 restoral fee for when the services are turned back on. The Restoral Fee will post the customer's account the day after the services are turned back on and will show up on the next bill statement. 

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 9
Contributor

I was not notified. There is nothing on my February bill OR in the FAQ Will There Be Changes To My Directv Fees 2017.

I have been a customer for 17 years. I have 5 existing receivers, 2 dishes, and 2 more receivers being installed as we speak. I forgot to pay my bill before my vacation and my service was interupted. After I paid the bill and service was restored, I saw the charge on my bill. When I called customer service I was told, too bad. They claim to have sent 1, yes 1, notification in January on my electronic statement. VERY BAD TASTE IN MY MOUTH RIGHT NOW. Is this how loyal customers of 17 years can expect to be treated now that ATT took over?

Message 3 of 9
Associated Member

I understand where you're coming from. AT&T/Directv does try to notify all of their customers the best that they can. Restoral fees are never fun for anyone, a lot of company's do have some sort of restoral fee charge, and unfortunately that has passed on to the Directv services. 

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

As a consumer it would be nice if there were multiple notifications, but in reality why should a company have to? Info is sent with the bill, it is up to us to read it. A fee to restore service that has been interupted for past due is fairly common among businesses. Afterall they can't just carry an owed balance without some financial consequences on their end, including any kind of budgeting.

So just remember it is best to have bill paid or to be on auto bill pay. If bill not paid by time following bill comes out, late fee is charged and notice is on the bill on when it would be turned off if payment still not received. Once interupted, restore fee because it was let go too long.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9
Former Employee

It was sent in January's bill, and a notice was sent to every email address on file, unless you opted out of paper and email communications.  The easiest way to avoid this fee, is to pay your bill on time. 

Message 6 of 9
Contributor

How is paying a $35 fee to have your services turned back on justifiable in any way.  The system is automated and turns on and off by itself, there is nothing that needs to be done so why $35.  Before you say there needs to be some kind of penalty, isn't the turning off of their services the penalty. I can see where if someone goes months without paying a bill and the service has a hard disconnect then yes of course there should be a fee because there is some actual work being done.  But for someone that may have just missed a bill but then pays to catch it up and have it turned back on right away (for some people a matter of hours); you decided to penalize them another $35.  Doesn't seem right to me and a lot of other people.  Please explain what the $35 actually goes towards.

Message 7 of 9
ACE - Expert

Someone has to remove/add back your account info to turn the account on/off. Who says there has to be a justification?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

If nothing else it is more incentive for customers to pay their bill on time. Remember service interruption doesn't happen once you are past due, but later after you have gotten your next bill and notice on when interruption would be if still not paid. So if interruption happens you were extremely past due. So bill goes past due date, next bill comes out with past due notice, you get information on when service would be interrupted (the dreaded "minimum" service), then you get interrupted. If you continue past due after that you end up with a full disconnect for non payment which is worse.

So if you don't like things like restore fees, then pay your bill on time. If you are having trouble keeping up with bills, reduce services to something that better fits your budget and only raise back up when you are comfortable to do so. Tv is a luxury, not an entitlement.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support