Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Internet??

Teacher

Internet??

Just out of curiosity, does DirecTV have internet service? I live out in the sticks with no chance of ever getting ComCast, Verizon or what ever is being provided in package form these days. Currently, I have DirecTV, and Hughesnet for internet. Does DirecTV have an all in one deal? Personally, I would like to dump Hughesnet, only get 10 gigs a month thru them at their price and if I'm not deligent enough my data allowance can be gone in an instant, with kids and grand kids. One movie, if I'm lucky and with all the starts and stops involved will use up half my allowance in one sitting. Any sugestions?

Thanks

G

Message 1 of 9

Re: Internet??

Dtv is owned by at&t and provides internet service. You can try calling sales at 800-288-2020 to determine if it will be a serviceable address. Make sure you can get at least 6mbps speed package and you will have unlimited data internet if you bundle it with Dtv. Robot Happy

Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

DTV does not provide internet services but AT&T does, you will most likely need a satellite internet service like Hughesnet, DTV does bundle with some satellite internet services.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
ACE - Expert

Directv service does not have their own internet. Directv partners with other internet providers (Centurylink, Mediacom, Hughesnet, Viasat) and of course still Uverse since they are now acquired by AT&T. It depends on what is available at your address if you can place the order through Directv. If through Directv or contacting providers directly that all you have available is satellite internet (Hughesnet, Viasat) it is reccomended against having it connected to your Directv system because of the data caps and Directv's On Demand could eat that up if you're not careful.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 9
Teacher

Thanks for the replies. I figured as much anyway, I just thought I would ask. I constantly have to make sure my HughesNet is NOT connected to my DirecTV system. I made the mistake or accidentally did something and downloaded a program, an unwanted TV show that is, by mistake last week that just ravished my HN data allowance. It appears my setting are set to automatically connect to my computer system router and I really don't want that.

Message 5 of 9
ACE - Expert

DTV receivers have to be manually connected the first time and when connected to WiFi you have to enter the ssid and password. If using WiFi you can reset the network to cause it to lose the ssid and password.

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

Check with your router options to see if you could set permission for Directv only during certain hours as I recall that HughesNet has a free data period. Otherwise go into the settings on your Directv receiver to reset network defaults which will forget the router info. Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Internet 

Message 7 of 9
Teacher

HughesNet is weird. I get 10 gigs a month on my plan...5gigs of it between 8am to 2am and that other 5gigs from 2am to 8am and it's not really free. Once that is used up and your out of the daytime allowance your done for the month. I mess around with, and repair old computers all the time at night so I  can use up that "FREE" allowance in a month very easy. I pushed it once during a monthly period and once your out of those 10gigs, that's it. I think the word "FREE" is relative. Still paying for 10 gigs whether I use it during the day or the night. They make you think your getting something for "FREE", but we all know that nothing is free. At least some of us know that.

As for the router? I've never entered the SSID from the computer router for DirecTV to connect to. Not even sure how to even check that to be honest. Currently I'm using a Neatgear Wireless-G Router WGR614v10 updated just recently. I don't see anything there. One thing though, once a night I go into menu on DTV to check if I'm connected and if I am, I just go into Internet Setup/advance/and reset network and that disconnects that.

G

Message 8 of 9
Teacher

AT&T Internet NOT in Delaware.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support