Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Genie keeps dropping wifi

Genie keeps dropping wifi

Hi there. We had DTV installed 3 weeks ago w the wifi working well for abput a week. Then disconnected, Re-connected finr for abput another week then dropped again. I do also have an extender.

Attempted 5 times today no luck. Called tech sup who sid to reset the wifi in the genie and setup again make sure to connect to the router not extender. Worked for about 2 hrs...

The tech "said" it is a known DTV software issue on the genie and that they were working on it. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

What's going on here?

Will issuing a static ip work, if so what is the setup proceedure?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: Genie keeps dropping wifi

It's not really a "known software issue".  That's "CSR-speak" for "I'm out of ideas and need to move on to another caller".  

What model Genie DVR do you have?

How far is the Genie from your WiFi router?

Can you connect a hard-wired ethernet cable instead, at least as test?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9

Well... heh   it's about 50ft from the router and maybe 30ft for the ext.  Router is going through a few walls and downtairs from the genie. Not able to get a cable up there.

HR54

Message 3 of 9

Equip list says I have a video bridge howevee I see nothing

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

The WVB has nothing to do with the HR54 WiFi internet connection as it has set up its own WiFi network with the C41W minis you have. Call/chat with DTV and have them install the hard wired DECA BB.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9

Will that have neg affect on the other wireless boxes

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

No, it just provides a hard wired internet connection.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 7 of 9
Mentor

DO NOT CONNECT A CAT5 ETHERNET CABLE TO THE BACK OF ANY GENIE!!!! Unless it is the only reciever in your house. It will shut off the internal working for MRV(Multi-Room Viewing) and make the clients(mini genies) fail. It can also prevent 4k RVU Tv's from functioning. IF your wireless connection is faulty call in and ask for a free upgrade to add a "Wired DECA". Seeing as to how the way the tech had installed it is failing for one reason or another. That is the best and most realible solution.

Message 8 of 9
Contributor

What is "wired DECA"?

My genie 2 wireless keeps losing signal and can't do anything with tv until genie gets signal. My wifi is good at house because I was watching a video on my iPad while genie was down for about 5-10 minutes. So wifi was working.
Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support