Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DVR Recordings and expiration dates

Highlighted
Contributor

DVR Recordings and expiration dates

I have a question about the list of movies or things that have been recorded.  Some items on the list have "expires (and then a date)" what does that mean exactly - if you have not watched the item by the date - it will no longer be available?  That doesn't make sense - because if it is recorded - how can it no longer be available?  Thanks, Kim

Message 1 of 11
Former Employee

Re: DVR Recordings

Some movies have an expiration date because they stop being shown on the channel that you recorded it from. The program providers decide how long to allow it

Message 2 of 11
ACE - Expert

It will be deleted from your playlist at that time and I have never figured out how if that program is recorded on your hard drive why the server is needed to have it available.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 11
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Kimbo78
‎12-29-2015 1:17 PM

Expiration dates only applies to VOD programming.  There are contractual obligations and to who and for how long a provider gets to show such content.  Programs recorded via satellite can remain on your DVR for the lifetime of the machine 

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 11
Contributor

Thank you very much Smiley Happy -- that is kind of what I was assuming.

Message 5 of 11
Contributor

how do you record only from satilite?

Message 6 of 11
ACE - Expert

@jjohnsom, set up your DVR recordings using the Channel Guide.  Highlight the show/series you want to record on that satellite channel and press the record button once (to record just that airing), or twice (to record the series). 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 11
Contributor

I wish you guys would stop replying when you have no clue what you're talking about.  I've recorded tv shows, not vod, not ppv, not premium channels, and I have expiration dates on them. Explain why.  Oh and no, my hd is not full.  I have 42% left and it's set to keep until hd is full.  

So again, if it's recorded to my hd, it's regular tv, not vod, not ppv, not premium channels, why does it expire?

DTV? Care to answer?

Message 8 of 11
ACE - Expert

@Wal7589 wrote:

I wish you guys would stop replying when you have no clue what you're talking about.  I've recorded tv shows, not vod, not ppv, not premium channels, and I have expiration dates on them. Explain why.  Oh and no, my hd is not full.  I have 42% left and it's set to keep until hd is full.  

So again, if it's recorded to my hd, it's regular tv, not vod, not ppv, not premium channels, why does it expire?

DTV? Care to answer?

Shows recorded from the satellite channels should not have expiration dates, unless you recorded a PPV channel.  If you're seeing this on a regular channel, then something is wrong.  Note that there's a currently an issue with the new Genie software where you might think you've set up recordings on a regular channel, but the Genie will actually record from the OnDemand channel instead.  

Message 9 of 11
Contributor

Rock and roll road trip with Sammy Hagar on axstv?
Not vod, not ppv
Message 10 of 11
ACE - Expert

AXS TV used to be HD Net.  It might be a special case.  But, like I said, it can be hard to tell sometimes if the Genie DVR is recording the channel you thought, or downloading (recording) the OnDemand equivalent.  Best bet is to view that recording before it expires.  

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support