Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Closing account!

Contributor

Closing account!

I closed my account today, but discovered that I had an additional fee to cancel the account.  With the exception of a 6 month stint a few years ago, I have been a Direct TV customer for well over a decade.  September of last year I added a box to my account.  Unknowingly, and not being told, a two year contract was added to my account just for adding a box.  Now, I have to pay $190 to get out of my account that I did not know had a contract extension simply be adding a box. A word of advice to Direct TV customer service; when any customer asks to add additional service to their account, please tell them by doing so they will be tied to a contract with Direct TV for two years. 

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert

Re: Closing account!

Right.  Early termination fees are spelled out pretty clearly when you upgrade new equipment on your account and trigger a new 2-yr commitment.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Expert

Upgrades/additional equipment come with 24 month agreement. This is standard. In addition to being the agent's responsibility to inform you, an upgrade results in an email order confirmation which clearly lists the agreement. When you sign off on the work order of having it installed you are once again confirming the agreement by doing so. If equipment is drop shipped (not warenty replacement of course) it includes the doucmentation about the agreement as well for your reminder. So Directv has mutiple notices in place to inform you of the agreement, including their lease agreement/terms of service when started and on the website mention these potential agreements as well. For future, do not toss away/delete any info Directv sends you, read it.

Being a customer of about 14 years I have dealt with different kinds of upgrades which all come with agreement. And most companies equipment upgrades come with agreement anyway.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7
Contributor

Be advised - Directv will LOSE your equipment and then charge you for it! Still fighting this one. Whatever you do, get tracking for the equipment somehow. They send you a label but it goes from usps to fedex and back to usps. Fedex lost the equipment somehow, or Directv didn't receive it in the warehouse correctly, AGAIN. I'd bet on the latter because that's happened to us once already!!! Good luck! 

Message 4 of 7
ACE - Expert

@User3711266

A return of equipment missing is a problem. However just because it happended to you, doesn't mean it is going to happen with everyone. And certainly it is not a situation that would never happen with any other company. You will need to work with Directv and the shipper to get this resolved. But I hope you sent the return kit back to them by USPS as the label said. Yes Directv sometimes sends out by FedEx, but the return label from my experience has always been back to them by USPS which is easier for most of us.

Making note of the return tracking number is good advice on any kind of return. I hope it resolves well.

Message 5 of 7
Contributor

DirecTV had ME call Fedex instead of DirecTV checking with Fedex. Luckily, I talked a Fedex supervisor into giving me the info on when my equipment was delivered to the Fedex warehouse. It was delivered 1 MONTH ago to DirecTV's warehouse. It still hasn't been checked in yet and DirecTV charged me the late fee! I'm not the only one on this forum it has happened to, either. There are several in these forums that have stated the same. I've had to pull teeth every time I've called or chatted to get any information about my equipment returns. Your promise to customers is not being upheld. I am a customer until my account is completely cleared and archived. I have 2 escalation requests in now. Nobody calls, nobody emails, nobody asks questions, nothing from DirecTV to at least acknowledge it's being worked - nothing at all. I have been really patient until now. As a side note: neither Fedex nor USPS track tbe equipment to your warehouse. Were you aware of that - oh wait, of course not because you don't care about your customers with issues of any sort unless it's an easy fix via chat. DirecTV needs an attitude adjustment in the worst way. Maybe when I talk to the media after this nightmare is over, along with contacting the BBB, DirecTV might take notice. I doubt it but I can hope. Send my credit and I'll back off...or I can also contact my state Attorney General as well to look into DirecTV on the basis of a fraudulent credit card charge to my account. DirecTV is in possession of my equipment and charged me anyway. Those are my alternatives based on DirecTV's actions. I will encourage others to do the same. I am owed a formal apology for DirecTV's ineptitude, too. Compensation or consideration: those are DirecTV's choices under the Consumer Protection Act, and federal and state laws, not to mention binding arbitration through my credit card company as well as your customer contract. Good luck!

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

This is a customer to customer forum, not official Directv support. If you want an official response or resolution from Directv, you will need to contact them using an official method:

Regular customer care 1-800-531-5000

Online chat at www.directv.com

Sending a private message @ATTDIRECTVCare

Written correspondence - address is referenced on your bill statement

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support