Contributor

Voice

Who is the voice of your new ad?

"Your Thing Ad"

February 12, 2018 Ad

Message 1 of 58
Contributor

Re: Voice

Sometimes the voice sounds like Serena Williams too.

Message 16 of 58
Teacher

I think it is Leslie Jones from SNL!

Message 17 of 58
Contributor

Me too... that's who I thought it was.

Message 18 of 58
Teacher

Other folks seem to disagree and think it is Lena Waithe.
She posted some kind of emoji on Twitter but never confirmed either way.
Message 19 of 58
Tutor
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎04-16-2018 12:42 PM

38BD44CD-AC31-46EC-884F-8D4917B61ACC.png

283477AC-C50F-4011-8357-67D1801E4EA4.png

Today Lena Waithe posted a video to her Instagram story and you can hear the commercial playing in the background while she’s at the car wash and she captioned it “Can’t Escape Myself”. She also has stated recently she lost her voice doing voice overs. I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say it’s her. It’s on her Instagram and her story is public if you want to check it out 

Tags (1)
Message 20 of 58

Thanks imanim22!! I knew it was her-thanks for posting the IG pic!  (are you a Master of None fan? I am-she's great in the show if you haven't watched yet Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 58
ACE - Expert

LOVE Master of None.  She wrote "Thanksgiving" based on her own experience.  While she was hesitant to share her story, she ultimately won an Emmy for it.  Smiley Happy

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 58
Contributor

I'm pretty sure that's Cocoa Brown

Message 23 of 58
Contributor

I thought it was Laila Ali as well but it does also sound like Kim Whitley but could she keep from laughing long enough, love ya Kim.

Message 24 of 58
Contributor

Why do I think it’s Queen Latifah

Message 25 of 58
ACE - Expert

@Imanim22 wrote:

38BD44CD-AC31-46EC-884F-8D4917B61ACC.png

283477AC-C50F-4011-8357-67D1801E4EA4.png

It's NOT Laila Ali.

It's NOT Serena Williams

It's NOT Kym Whitley

It's NOT Leslie Jones or Cocoa Brown

It's NOT even D.J. Pierce, aka Shangela Laquifa Wadley

It's Lena Waithe!

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 26 of 58
Teacher

Queen Latifah!s voice is very distinctive and that is definitely not her. Apparently, Lena Waithe commented on Twitter that she has been having larynx issues with all of her recent voice-over work. She also had a screen shot of the AT&T logo for ‘Your Thing’ captured. Seems that she is implicitly suggesting that she is the actor.

Message 27 of 58
Teacher

I just confirmed that and thought this had been clearly denoted last week!
Thanks in advance.
Message 28 of 58
Employee

I’m going with Lena. I’ve watched the “Thanksgiving” episode of Master Of None about a billion times. Sounds exactly like her. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 29 of 58
Administrator

FWIW, I came across this, earlier today on https://www.mediavillage.com/article/stuart-elliott-oscar-ads-offer-a-glimpse-at-the-shape-of-advert... - about commercials on the Super Bowl and Oscars:

There also were numerous commercials with diverse casting, narrators or announcers, such as a funny spot for McDonald's $1/$2/$3 menu with Chrissy Teigen; a teaser for the final season of House of Cards with Robin Wright as President of the United States; an upbeat commercial for AARP with a spiel delivered in rap-poetry style; product-centric "More for your thing" commercials for AT&T, narrated by Lena Waithe, the African-American actress and screenwriter ...

Good looking out, @Imanim22!

Thanks,

Dave

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 30 of 58
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support