Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Game of Thrones Season 8 - Episode 6 Recap "Duty is the death of love"

Highlighted
Administrator

Game of Thrones Season 8 - Episode 6 Recap "Duty is the death of love"

There’s a lot of mixed feelings when it comes to the end of a season, let alone an entire series; it’s the end of an era.

Let’s talk about the final episode…

Spoiler

I don’t know what I was expecting (although this being Game of Thrones, I figured everyone would die by the end). Did I want the cliché happy ending, did I want burning and chaos, or did I want a twist?

In the end though, we got an ending that I think is fit for the series. If nothing more, we’ll have endless possibilities of what could have been (or what might be) ahead of us as fans to discuss and speculate about.

Episode Recap

The city has been burned, the Lannister & Golden Company defeated, and the people in shock. Kings Landing, or at least the one we’ve come to recognize, is gone. Jon and Davos are seen walking down the streets before encountering Grey Worm ready to execute some of Cersei’s knights.

For Davos & Jon, the fight is over. They won, Kings Landing lost, end of story. For Grey Worm though, it’s very apparent that all he can think about it is vengeance. Like his queen Daenerys, the enemies must pay.

They try to prevent the execution of the prisoners but are met with hostile resistance from the unsullied. After a tense exchange, Jon and Davos begrudgingly leave and the slayings continue.

Daenerys speaks to her entire army – her followers – her people. What started as a celebratory thank you speech quickly morphed into calls for more violent “liberation”. Kings Landing wasn’t the end, it was the beginning. More kingdoms will fall until all bow to her will.

Tyrion, having just seen the remnants of his siblings Cersei and Jaime, has seen enough to realize that Varys was correct – Daenerys is becoming the Mad Queen. In a moment of triumph for Daenerys, Tyrion defies her and throws away his Hand of the King status in protest which is swiftly met by imprisonment.

After catching a glimpse at what Daenerys does to those that challenge her, Jon visits Tyrion in the dungeon. During this, Tyrion tries to convince Jon that he is the true king whom people will follow, and that he needs to end Daenerys’s rein before his sisters, friends, and others challenge the Mad Queen.

Jon, putting his duty before love, meets with Daenerys in the throne room while she is admiring her thrown (but never sitting on it). She tries to convince him to love her, and he calls her out on the slaughtering of innocents. In the end, Jon betrays Daenerys and stabs her in the chest ending her rule.

Finally, in seemingly great symbolism, Drogon (after seeing Daenerys killed) melts the Iron Throne and flies away with her body.

Fast forward to a couple weeks later.

The last remaining Lords and Ladies are gathered around to discuss the fate of Tyrion and Jon. Tyrion is set to be executed for his crimes, but in typical fashion he talks his way out of it to lead the discussion on the new king. After a few false starts (looking at you Edmure Tully and Sam), Tyrion proposes someone who has no desire for the throne – Brann Stark.

Everyone agrees except Sansa who wishes for the North to remain independent. Tyrion is named Hand of the King once more, and Brann, ruler of the 6 kingdoms, will break the circle, and win the game of thrones.

Wrapping Up

Jon’s story didn’t end the way I thought it would. We were set up – I don’t know about the rest of you, but I was convinced he would win in the end. Instead, for all his good deeds, he’s exiled – banished to Castle Black and the Nights Watch. At least it looks like he’ll be King of the North beyond the wall, so it’s something as far as consolation prizes go.

Tyrion is written out of the history books (except for a notable entry by Brienne in the Kings Guard White book). To him, this is worse than any negative portrayal he might have received. He will be forgotten. However, while Brann is the figure head of the Kingdoms, Tyrion will be pulling the strings – I think he’ll end up doing just fine.

Grey Worm and the Unsullied are headed for… murderous, swarms of colorful butterflies on the Isle of Naath. After all they’ve been through, haven’t they deserved somewhere slightly more pleasant?

I may have more thoughts as time goes on and I can look back and process the finale. In the meantime though, let me know your thoughts on the series end and where you think we’re headed next.

Lastly, for all the folks who have been sticking with me and these recaps for the last 6 weeks, a huge thank you for support. Let’s not let this be the last of Game of Thrones – continue the conversation and let’s keep building out this awesome community.

And so – now my watch has ended.

Watch Game of Thrones® on HBO®. HBO® subscription required.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 13
Employee

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8 - Episode 6 Recap "Duty is the death of love"

Great episode & many great moments.

Last Kiss &The Stab; Sansa's "Uncle please sit down"; Ayra the stealthy; Drogon's nudge & scorching of the throne; lots of Easter egg references to previous episodes (e.g. Tyrion's starting on his joke; Brien's entry in the Book of Brothers; Sam's Song of Fire & Ice).

Some parts felt rushed - Dragon Pit election of the new King; Jon's banishment to the North.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13
Employee

I am heartbroken that the series has ended the Final season had some ups and downs. I agree it felt very rushed at some points.  Overall, everyone ended up where they were suppose to be. 

Jon Snow regardless to who his birth father was he was Ned Stark's son...he did not have it in him to Rule over the 7(6) Kingdoms. LOL  Jon, did the one thing he never wanted to do but, once he knew Sansa and Ayra would NEVER bend the knee he was left with no choice. Dany was her fathers daughter and she would have easily killed Jon had he not killed her 1st.

At such a dark moment there was some humor and it was needed after episode 6(The Bells). 

Message 3 of 13

I was happy about Jon killing the mad queen and very happy that my 2 favorites lived, Tyrion and Arya, but the ended wasn't very exciting as I hoped for. I was shocked by Braan becoming the new King.

Message 4 of 13

I was feeling empty in my soul after the final.

Message 5 of 13
Professor

Spoiler

I'm willing to believe Bran getting the Throne came from George RR Martin, because it defies all expectations, and Martin is nothing if not unpredictable. The one person who had no stake in becoming king became king. Also, it gives Bran an arc which kind of stopped when he became the Three-Eyed Raven. Without him becoming king, we'd all be wondering what the point of his journey was.

At the same time, it made no kind of sense.

Bran having a good "story" doesn't make him a good king, and his robotic monotone doesn't inspire confidence. The people would never embrace him as a ruler. He said he spends most of the time in the past, not the present and future, making him unfit to make long-term decisions. I believe it was Martin's idea, but even the showrunners couldn't figure out how to make Bran a sensible choice. If the show continued for another season, there's no doubt someone else would rise up to overthrow Bran. Maybe Sansa's uncle.

As for Daenerys, she was by far the most disappointing end. But maybe that's Martin, too.

"Game of Thrones" has always been about defying the expectations of the readers and viewers, so an ending that did just that should be expected. I won't fault the show for doing exactly what we didn't want. Because who was rooting for Ned Stark's death in season one?

Message 6 of 13
Administrator

@NoOne~1 wrote:

Great episode & many great moments.

Last Kiss &The Stab; Sansa's "Uncle please sit down"; Ayra the stealthy; Drogon's nudge & scorching of the throne; lots of Easter egg references to previous episodes (e.g. Tyrion's starting on his joke; Brien's entry in the Book of Brothers; Sam's Song of Fire & Ice).

Some parts felt rushed - Dragon Pit election of the new King; Jon's banishment to the North.

I was pretty partial to Daenerys with Drogons wings behind her @NoOne~1  - The wife and I were like... Yes!!! There were lots of great/powerful moments in the final episode.

I'm pretty sure I can't say the ending to the joke that Tyrion hinted at on here lol. It's definitely NSFW; however, anyone reading may want to do a quick google search for it as it's gold Smiley Very Happy

Brienne's entry is worth a freeze frame. I haven't had the chance too yet. What secrets is it hiding that I (and probably many more) missed?

@LadyViktoria wrote:

I am heartbroken that the series has ended the Final season had some ups and downs. I agree it felt very rushed at some points.  Overall, everyone ended up where they were suppose to be. 

Jon Snow regardless to who his birth father was he was Ned Stark's son...he did not have it in him to Rule over the 7(6) Kingdoms. LOL  Jon, did the one thing he never wanted to do but, once he knew Sansa and Ayra would NEVER bend the knee he was left with no choice. Dany was her fathers daughter and she would have easily killed Jon had he not killed her 1st.

At such a dark moment there was some humor and it was needed after episode 6(The Bells). 

I'm with you there @LadyViktoria, it's like losing a friend in many ways. We've spent years with these characters, and now... they're gone.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I thought they did as good of a job as they could considering the crazy high expectations (how do you please everyone?) I put this in the category of Half-Life 3 (confirmed here first) or trying to make a new Indiana Jones movie. The fan base is just way too large, and something is bound to disappoint.

Now, that being said, I completely agree with you that there were some ups and downs. There's a lot of very memorable moments, but there's a few I'd like to forget. And to your point, it felt a little rushed. I would have loved to see more developments or story arcs that weren't wrapped up after 70+ episodes in 30 seconds.

I didn't think about the humor aspect too much in episode 6 as a good contrast to the previous one but you make a great point. I think it was a good balance, although maybe just a little too humorous or "feel-goody" for a Game of Thrones episode.

@bennettdeanne wrote:

I was happy about Jon killing the mad queen and very happy that my 2 favorites lived, Tyrion and Arya, but the ended wasn't very exciting as I hoped for. I was shocked by Braan becoming the new King.

@bennettdeanne even though I was #TeamDaenerys, she all but had sealed her fate the previous episode. She went all darkside on us and joined the Sith (Ok - I'm a Star Wars nerd). With that view, Jon had to get rid of her.

Tyrion might be my favorite character, and I wasn't originally a giant fan of Arya but her story got a lot more interesting and it definitely propelled her towards the top of my list (of great characters, not a list like hers Smiley Wink).

I too was surprised when Brann became the new king. Didn't see that coming and had joked with the wife right before the episode aired something to the tune of "I'll betcha Brann is going to win". Now all I need to do is pull a Biff Tannen, steal a time-travelling Dolorean, go back to good old April 17th, 2011 and put some money on the long-shot Brann!

@ZacharyAlvare & @QuarryRye - I have to run, but I'll respond to your comments tomorrow!

Message 7 of 13

Not buying it. No.

The final episode, nay! The entire season was disappointing. I'm not going to let it ruin an otherwise insanely entertaining series, but!

Here goes.

Spoiler

The endings were too tidy. Rushed. Dany's arc was not believable. They said she was the "Mad Queen" but was she madder than Joffrey? I would have bought her arc more if she was on the streets and led (or enjoyed) the executions. Or if she made a killing that made no sense. Say, felt it necessary to kill Ser Brianne finding out she slept with Jamie. The killing of the innocents in King's Landing felt lazy. an easy out.

Dany was also smart enough not to eat her food but dumb enough to trust Jon Snow? Whom she identified as her greatest threat to the Throne? In her "Mad" reality she would have had his head on a pike, like Ned Stark. THAT's Game Of Thrones.

At the moment when Sansa declared the North to remain independent, wouldn't the other Houses do the same? Yara should have stood and said, "The Greyjoy's sow no seed. We serve the sea and the sea alone. Our knee shall not bend!"

Ayra seemed lost after killing the Knight King. Took a horsey ride to KL to run around in the rubble. And since they didn't know what to do with her, they sent her Marco Polo? Did she ever show interest in exploration? It would have been better to leave her journey rogue. An unknown assassin who disappears, but shows up when necessary. 

Greyworm acquiesced way too easily. There should have been a showdown with him and Snow or him and Davos. Instead some glares? Being bought off? Was there a hint of a smile? That doesn't sound like the Unsullied at all. 

How did the Dothraki feel about Jon Snow killing their queen? I may have missed it, but it was not thought through.

Bronn was a throwaway ending. Maester of coin? Please. Gendry learns of his true heritage but it's never discussed? Tyrion talks his way out of an execution? Mind you, he's facing all the lords/ladies who have generally like and support him.Too tidy!

Too tidy!

I would have been much happier if Ghost took a bite out of Jon Snow. 

Message 8 of 13
Administrator

@ZacharyAlvare wrote:

I was feeling empty in my soul after the final.

There's definitely going to be a void @ZacharyAlvare - It's going to be hard to fill Game of Thrones shoes.What other series on HBO have you checked out? I've been binge watching Silicon Valley and just got into Chernobyl (which looks really promising).

@QuarryRye wrote:

I'm willing to believe Bran getting the Throne came from George RR Martin, because it defies all expectations, and Martin is nothing if not unpredictable. The one person who had no stake in becoming king became king. Also, it gives Bran an arc which kind of stopped when he became the Three-Eyed Raven. Without him becoming king, we'd all be wondering what the point of his journey was.

At the same time, it made no kind of sense.

Bran having a good "story" doesn't make him a good king, and his robotic monotone doesn't inspire confidence. The people would never embrace him as a ruler. He said he spends most of the time in the past, not the present and future, making him unfit to make long-term decisions. I believe it was Martin's idea, but even the showrunners couldn't figure out how to make Bran a sensible choice. If the show continued for another season, there's no doubt someone else would rise up to overthrow Bran. Maybe Sansa's uncle.

As for Daenerys, she was by far the most disappointing end. But maybe that's Martin, too.

"Game of Thrones" has always been about defying the expectations of the readers and viewers, so an ending that did just that should be expected. I won't fault the show for doing exactly what we didn't want. Because who was rooting for Ned Stark's death in season one?

You know, that would make sense @QuarryRye about the ending coming from GRRM. His entire shtick revolves around defying conventions. It caught me totally by surprise and I'd be curious if anyone else truly believed Brann would take the Throne. 

I'd agree that his personality doesn't really make for a great leader though. To your point, a robotic monotone isn't going to inspire confidence in anyone. Leaders should be charismatic, and able to engage their followers - Brann isn't going to be able to do any of that. Now, take Tyrion who is arguable better suited for politics and running a kingdom, and I think the writers set it up so Brann is the figure head, and Tyrion actually runs the show. However, as the series has proved, Tyrion also would not inspire loyalty given the perceptions of his stature in this universe. I really wish we had more time with all of this in another season but I don't think we'll ever find out where all this goes to now.And yes; perhaps Sansa's Uncle would have taken it Smiley Very Happy

Continuing the theme of agreeing, Daenerys's end was a let down. They wrapped up her story way too quickly and left a lot of people scratching their head. Like other things, I wish we had more seasons (or just a longer final one).

@FerociousSloth wrote:

Not buying it. No.

The final episode, nay! The entire season was disappointing. I'm not going to let it ruin an otherwise insanely entertaining series, but!

Here goes.

The endings were too tidy. Rushed. Dany's arc was not believable. They said she was the "Mad Queen" but was she madder than Joffrey? I would have bought her arc more if she was on the streets and led (or enjoyed) the executions. Or if she made a killing that made no sense. Say, felt it necessary to kill Ser Brianne finding out she slept with Jamie. The killing of the innocents in King's Landing felt lazy. an easy out.

Dany was also smart enough not to eat her food but dumb enough to trust Jon Snow? Whom she identified as her greatest threat to the Throne? In her "Mad" reality she would have had his head on a pike, like Ned Stark. THAT's Game Of Thrones.

At the moment when Sansa declared the North to remain independent, wouldn't the other Houses do the same? Yara should have stood and said, "The Greyjoy's sow no seed. We serve the sea and the sea alone. Our knee shall not bend!"

Ayra seemed lost after killing the Knight King. Took a horsey ride to KL to run around in the rubble. And since they didn't know what to do with her, they sent her Marco Polo? Did she ever show interest in exploration? It would have been better to leave her journey rogue. An unknown assassin who disappears, but shows up when necessary. 

Greyworm acquiesced way too easily. There should have been a showdown with him and Snow or him and Davos. Instead some glares? Being bought off? Was there a hint of a smile? That doesn't sound like the Unsullied at all. 

How did the Dothraki feel about Jon Snow killing their queen? I may have missed it, but it was not thought through.

Bronn was a throwaway ending. Maester of coin? Please. Gendry learns of his true heritage but it's never discussed? Tyrion talks his way out of an execution? Mind you, he's facing all the lords/ladies who have generally like and support him.Too tidy!

Too tidy!

I would have been much happier if Ghost took a bite out of Jon Snow. 

@FerociousSloth - The endings were a bit too tidy and rushed. They could have definitely used an extra few episodes in my humble opinion. And Daenerys is no Joffrey lol - he was cruel, she ended up being well... a little off-balanced? I'm not sure how to describe her. Twisted maybe? She ended up having a warped view of what liberation meant.

Daenerys was smart, but love can be blinding. You forget about everything else or cast things aside. Loving someone is an ultimate level of trust so I'm not surprised she didn't see it coming when to your point Jon was clearly her biggest threat.

When Sansa declared the North independent, I have a feeling other people were like "Wait, that was an option?" and quickly wished they could go back. My take on the universe though is that people take oaths, promises, words, etc. very seriously. So after Yara pledged to be part of the 6 kingdoms, I think she was bound to stay or risk breaking her bond and facing the repercussions.

I wish we could have seen more of Ayra as it felt like after the Night King she just didn't have a purpose. Her arc was over. I hoped, and I hoped that there would be more and we'd see more of the person she had become, but we didn't. And the exploration part I agree was out of character. I figured at the time it was to do a spin-off with her (but if I recall, HBO put out a statement saying that she was not getting a spin-off). So I don't really know what that was about.

I haven't seen anyone else talking about Greyworm, and how he just gave in at the end. Thanks for bringing that up! I honestly thought that he wouldn't survive and would have to fight for his dead queen. But he kind of just rolled over. They wrapped his story up too quickly as well.

With regards to the Dothraki, I feel like they would have executed Jon immediately without hesitation or waiting for council. I don't think we really heard anything from them though.

I will say that Tyrion talking his way out of an execution is pretty much par for the course when it comes to him Smiley Very Happy To me, that was probably the most believable thing in the entire episode.

Message 9 of 13
Contributor

Have no intrest in the game of thrones at this present time! Nor do I see how it relats to att! Maybe you should go and join their community! Or explane to me how this relate to the att community help form!

Message 10 of 13
Contributor

Hello!

Message 11 of 13
Contributor

Contributor???... Maybe so!, But not to the game of thrones! I have no intrest in the game of thrones at this present time! Nor do I see how it relates to the att community help form! Don't mean to burst your bubble or bring anyone down but maybe you should go join the game of thornes community!

Message 12 of 13
Professor

@danielklenda85 wrote:

Have no intrest in the game of thrones at this present time! Nor do I see how it relats to att! Maybe you should go and join their community! Or explane to me how this relate to the att community help form!

No one is forcing you to read this section or any other section of the AT&T forums. But since you asked, AT&T sells cable television and owns HBO, so "Game of Thrones" is absolutely AT&T-related. But this is the Clubhouse section of the forums which is not for help or support for AT&T products.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support