We recognize and honor military, veterans and their families. Get 25% off our best unlimited plans.
The best prices for our Military families
cdaniels1's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Monday, April 22nd, 2019 6:37 PM

Military / Veteran Discounts, not really....

AT&T is offering Veteran, Military discounts, or so they would have you believe.  It is really just a marketing ploy.  Why do I say that:

1) Because you have to have AT&T Wireless to get the discounts.  If you have AT&T Phone, Internet, and TV, but not wireless, you are not eligible.  It is just a ploy to get you to switch to AT&T Wireless, and bundle your services with them.

2) Also, if you have a prior promotional discount on your AT&T Internet, you are not eligible for the discount.  A true discount would be based upon your military service, not your AT&T plan.

If it was a true Veterans discount, it would be applied to Veterans, regardless of the service, without you having to buy something specific to get it.  AT&T is USING the Veteran advertising for their own gain.  The exceptions on the promotion indicate that only care about your service to your country if they can profit from it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

156 Messages

5 years ago

Actually, looks like honorably discharged DOD servicemembers can get the discount by showing their DD214 at an att store. https://www.att.com/poeportal/selfassessment/veterans Also, seems there are discounts on DirecTV, uVerse, and wireless. What att services do you subscribe to which you need the discount applied to ?

Scholar

• 

156 Messages

5 years ago

While I can not speak to discounts offered to Vetrans who are former military service members there is a reason for the discounts being the same 15% for all military and government employees. Ethics laws require the same discount regardless to sub-group of employees. Here's the example I found from OGE: 1. Employees may accept discounts on automobile rentals, hotel rates, or cell phone rates that are offered to all Government employees. 1. Employees may not participate in discounts or benefits to subgroups of employees, i.e., free magazine subscriptions only to employees located at HQ; or discounts on automobiles if the offer is extended only to scientists employed at the Office of National Programs or a particular Agency or Division.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for the reply, but as you point out, it applies to active duty military and Government Employees only ( It also applies to Government Contractors). 

AT&T should state that the discount is for Active Military only, and not try to sell it as a Veterans Discount,  Veterans are not included in the group you specify, and they do not fall under OGE or FAR/DFAR rules.

If AT&T wants to honor Veterans Military Service with a specific discount that is exclusive of all other discounts, as they imply in their advertisement.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

THIS IS NOT SOLVED!  I stand by my original post. 

AT&T is not really recognizing veterans.

As requested, I went to an AT&T store.  I got the same answer, "You are not eligible for a Veterans discount", because it only applies to Wireless customers.  See my first post. 

I have AT&T Phone, Internet and TV services, and I have been told now three separate times that I cannot have any discounts.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I’m a retired vet & bought my at&t cell phone at Best Buy then drove to the physical at&t store.  Showed my retired ID card, they entered it into their system & bang, it was done.  Hope this helps!  Cheers

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@cdaniels1 ATT does offer a military discount on tv service and home internet service and they are the only provider I know of that does. However, you do have to have qualifying wireless service to get those discounts. I can verify I am getting the discount on wireless, Directv and home internet. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I am a Veteran (USAF). 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I agree with you... the entire "military discount" is a joke because they won't honor it. My husband has been an active military member for 16 years. I have tried for 2 years to get the discount and I have been given incorrect information EVERY single time I call. If I had the money to switch companies today I would. I hate being lied to and I hate dishonest companies that makeup so many different rules that their own employees don't know what is correct!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Twyman Once again, the military discount is real and they do honor it. I’m getting it on wireless, internet and tv service. I have no idea what you’ve been doing for two years, it took me 5 minutes to get my discount. I can’t speak to ATT employees not knowing but you can get honest and correct answers here.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

I am in the same boat as you. They simply lied and the sales person that signed you up, knew this and rolled with it anyways.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.