Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 10, 2013
10:35:49 AM
View profile
stream videos from websites online?

Looking to buy a new tv. Should I invest in a smart tv or can I go to individual websites and watch videos through my tv with the whole home dvr? I see there are different apps but I don't really understand how it works since I don't have internet hooked up to it yet until I get my new tv.

Example: I want to go to www.logotv.com to watch old episodes of RuPaul's drag race? Do I have the capabilities to do this when I hook up my internet or do I need another device that will actually get me to the internet and different websites?

I apologize if this question has already been asked but I didn't see it on here.

Thanks!

Looking to buy a new tv. Should I invest in a smart tv or can I go to individual websites and watch videos through my tv with the whole home dvr? I see there are different apps but I don't really understand how it works since I don't have internet hooked up to it yet until I get my new tv.

Example: I want to go to www.logotv.com to watch old episodes of RuPaul's drag race? Do I have the capabilities to do this when I hook up my internet or do I need another device that will actually get me to the internet and different websites?

I apologize if this question has already been asked but I didn't see it on here.

Thanks!

stream videos from websites online?

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 2:30:52 PM
(0)
Employee

DirecTV is not involved in this.  the Chromecast is probably the best option for you

DirecTV is not involved in this.  the Chromecast is probably the best option for you

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: stream videos from websites online?

2 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 2:49:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

I think you misunderstood or I'm misunderstanding your response- Direct Tv is connected to the internet to allow the use of the built in apps and other apps I can download on my boxes so I'm asking if I can only use those apps or if I can actually go to a website via the internet connection I have with my boxes?

I think you misunderstood or I'm misunderstanding your response- Direct Tv is connected to the internet to allow the use of the built in apps and other apps I can download on my boxes so I'm asking if I can only use those apps or if I can actually go to a website via the internet connection I have with my boxes?

3 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 3:57:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

No, you can't go to individual web sites, the DVR does not have a web browser.

No, you can't go to individual web sites, the DVR does not have a web browser.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 5:04:29 PM
(0)
Employee

The DirecTV is a "closed" system.  you cannot download your own apps.  and as texasbrit mentioned, none of the DirecTV receivers have Internet browsers built in.

The DirecTV is a "closed" system.  you cannot download your own apps.  and as texasbrit mentioned, none of the DirecTV receivers have Internet browsers built in.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 8:35:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks peds- I did not understand your first reply. My apologies.

Thanks peds- I did not understand your first reply. My apologies.

6 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 8:36:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks

Thanks

7 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 8:44:13 AM
(0)
Expert

I recently installed a new 60" Sony TV and it has both a web browser and a number of Apps built in.  It requires a separate connection to the router/Internet and it does not involve my Directv equipment in any way.  Lot's of new TV's have these goodies, so I'd educate myself online before buying.

I recently installed a new 60" Sony TV and it has both a web browser and a number of Apps built in.  It requires a separate connection to the router/Internet and it does not involve my Directv equipment in any way.  Lot's of new TV's have these goodies, so I'd educate myself online before buying.

8 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 8:45:54 AM
(0)
Employee
Awesome,  no problem.  You are very welcome
Awesome,  no problem.  You are very welcome

9 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 9:04:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thankd dcd- I'm looking into tv with a built in web browser now. It's deceiving because even if it's a smart tv doesnt mean it can go on the web.

Thankd dcd- I'm looking into tv with a built in web browser now. It's deceiving because even if it's a smart tv doesnt mean it can go on the web.

10 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 9:40:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, and some of the TV web browsers are really clunky and hard to use. Suggest you google for reviews before getting anything.

Yes, and some of the TV web browsers are really clunky and hard to use. Suggest you google for reviews before getting anything.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 9:50:09 AM
(0)
Employee
As I said, take a look at the Chromecast.  this is what you are looking for
As I said, take a look at the Chromecast.  this is what you are looking for

12 of 13 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 9:52:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

The only company I have found so far is Samsung but I've just started looking. By chance, do you know if a smart tv without a web browser basically has the same capabilities as the internet conncected dish network box? If I'm understanding correctly both will allow access to the internet to download and use certain apps only? If that's the case than I don't think I need a smart tv if I can do the same things with my dish box. I can get a regular tv and purchase an add on web browser if I want to surf online.  There's so much to research with things like this.

The only company I have found so far is Samsung but I've just started looking. By chance, do you know if a smart tv without a web browser basically has the same capabilities as the internet conncected dish network box? If I'm understanding correctly both will allow access to the internet to download and use certain apps only? If that's the case than I don't think I need a smart tv if I can do the same things with my dish box. I can get a regular tv and purchase an add on web browser if I want to surf online.  There's so much to research with things like this.

13 of 13 (10 Views)