Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jan 18, 2014
7:08:45 AM
Will Directv work with satellite internet?

My internet was working just fine.  Then it wasn't.  When I called DTV I was told it would not work.  Now I can't get on demand, PPV or any of the apps.  I can no longer get DTV on my ipad.  How can I fix it?

My internet was working just fine.  Then it wasn't.  When I called DTV I was told it would not work.  Now I can't get on demand, PPV or any of the apps.  I can no longer get DTV on my ipad.  How can I fix it?

Will Directv work with satellite internet?

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 9:34:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, it can work with satellite internet, but we don't recommend it due to the large files and high costs involved when downloading video files via satellite internet.

But tell us more about your equipment ....

• Model of DirecTV DVRs and Receivers?
  • How are they connected to your home network for internet access?
  • Did anything else change with your internet equipment when this problem started?
  • Have you tried resetting your internet modem and DirecTV DVR(s)?

Yes, it can work with satellite internet, but we don't recommend it due to the large files and high costs involved when downloading video files via satellite internet.

But tell us more about your equipment ....

• Model of DirecTV DVRs and Receivers?
  • How are they connected to your home network for internet access?
  • Did anything else change with your internet equipment when this problem started?
  • Have you tried resetting your internet modem and DirecTV DVR(s)?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Will Directv work with satellite internet?

2 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 11:02:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I Would call your ISP and make sure you have not been DAP

I Would call your ISP and make sure you have not been DAP

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2014 2:19:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What peds48 means is that you may have exceeded your monthly internet download limit. 

What peds48 means is that you may have exceeded your monthly internet download limit. 

4 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 9:15:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have the whole home HDDVR.  Model HR24-200.  I also have the Genie HD DVR HR34-700 and Genie Mini's C31-700 and another box H24-200.  All are connected wirelessly for internet access.  As a peculiar note, I can access my Wi machine wirelessly at the main tv location (HR 34/700 I believe) and I can use my Chromecast in the bedroom on the H24-200 to access the internet wirelessly, but my HD DVR will not access the internet.  I have tried again this morning and get this error diagnosis code 71-73-989.

Nothing else has changed in my home.  I have had the same internet provider and the same modem.  Everything can access the internet: computers, ipads, iphones....just not Directv.

I've also tried resetting the modem and the DVR's.  I've also checked the connections.

Funny thing is it was working perfectly from the moment the installer installed the Genie system almost a year ago or when it first came out.  Then it stopped working.  When I called Directv I was told that my satellite internet would not work with their system.  That just doesn't make sense.

I wanted to watch something on Demand so I tried to connect again yesterday. Same thing.  Any help or advice would sure be helpful.  I have the satellite internet and I am not limited as to what or how much I can download.  I never did try to download off of the internet with the DVR, just watch On Demand TV, etc.

As I look at it, I'm not getting my money's worth without this working properly.

I have the whole home HDDVR.  Model HR24-200.  I also have the Genie HD DVR HR34-700 and Genie Mini's C31-700 and another box H24-200.  All are connected wirelessly for internet access.  As a peculiar note, I can access my Wi machine wirelessly at the main tv location (HR 34/700 I believe) and I can use my Chromecast in the bedroom on the H24-200 to access the internet wirelessly, but my HD DVR will not access the internet.  I have tried again this morning and get this error diagnosis code 71-73-989.

Nothing else has changed in my home.  I have had the same internet provider and the same modem.  Everything can access the internet: computers, ipads, iphones....just not Directv.

I've also tried resetting the modem and the DVR's.  I've also checked the connections.

Funny thing is it was working perfectly from the moment the installer installed the Genie system almost a year ago or when it first came out.  Then it stopped working.  When I called Directv I was told that my satellite internet would not work with their system.  That just doesn't make sense.

I wanted to watch something on Demand so I tried to connect again yesterday. Same thing.  Any help or advice would sure be helpful.  I have the satellite internet and I am not limited as to what or how much I can download.  I never did try to download off of the internet with the DVR, just watch On Demand TV, etc.

As I look at it, I'm not getting my money's worth without this working properly.

5 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 9:16:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

No limits imposed by my ISP.  Thanks for the info though.

No limits imposed by my ISP.  Thanks for the info though.

6 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 9:57:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Who is you ISP?

Who is you ISP?

7 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 9:57:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

When you are watching VOD, that content is coming from the internet.

When you are watching VOD, that content is coming from the internet.

8 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 10:08:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

My ISP is a local called Datamax.  I have superior service and no outages. 

My ISP is a local called Datamax.  I have superior service and no outages. 

9 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 10:09:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

I Can't watch VOD because the system tells me I have no internet connection. 

I Can't watch VOD because the system tells me I have no internet connection. 

10 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 10:28:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

So this is a cell based internet.  Which plan do you have?

1. What is your download speed?
  2. what router are you using? model number?

So this is a cell based internet.  Which plan do you have?

1. What is your download speed?
  2. what router are you using? model number?

11 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 11:02:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

I Have no idea what a cell based internet is.  All I know is that it's satellite service.  I have the residential Premium package.  I have a D-Link Router.  DIR-615.  I see a 130.0Mbps In the control panel but online they advertise 4Mbps download speeds. 

I Have no idea what a cell based internet is.  All I know is that it's satellite service.  I have the residential Premium package.  I have a D-Link Router.  DIR-615.  I see a 130.0Mbps In the control panel but online they advertise 4Mbps download speeds. 

12 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 11:10:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Go to www.speedtest.net and post back with your download speed

Go to www.speedtest.net and post back with your download speed

13 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 11:17:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

Ping 53 ms, download speed 3.42 Mpbs, upload speed 1.5 Mbps

Ping 53 ms, download speed 3.42 Mpbs, upload speed 1.5 Mbps

14 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 11:26:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

I Just ran my Speedy PC Pro and came back with a download speed of 3.69 Mbps

I Just ran my Speedy PC Pro and came back with a download speed of 3.69 Mbps

15 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 11:35:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You said you are connecting wirelessly right? So I am assuming you are using a CCK-W, correct?

You said you are connecting wirelessly right? So I am assuming you are using a CCK-W, correct?

16 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 11:43:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

What's a CCK-W?  My configuration has not changed since it was installed, then working properly.

What's a CCK-W?  My configuration has not changed since it was installed, then working properly.

17 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 11:50:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

SRory.  I researched the part.  Yes I do have a CCK-W.  Power, activity and Coax Network lights are green.

SRory.  I researched the part.  Yes I do have a CCK-W.  Power, activity and Coax Network lights are green.

18 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 11:55:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

By the way, don't know if I mentioned it, but I have Netflix and get those movies great.  Also have Chromecast in bedroom and watch netflix and YouTube there without any problems.  my only problem is getting internet on the main TV where the HD DVR and Genie are.

By the way, don't know if I mentioned it, but I have Netflix and get those movies great.  Also have Chromecast in bedroom and watch netflix and YouTube there without any problems.  my only problem is getting internet on the main TV where the HD DVR and Genie are.

19 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 2:26:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Do you have any recommendations to fix my problem?

Do you have any recommendations to fix my problem?

20 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 4:01:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

try holding the reset button on the back of the CCK-W for 30 seconds.  then on your HDDVR press

MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED WIRELESS.  the receiver will then scan for Wi-Fi networks and should d find yours.  once it finds your SSID, select your network name.  if your network is secured, it will ask you to type in your password.  if successful, you will get a message that says "congratulations, your receiver is connected to the internet"  Note that your SSID and/or password cannot have any spaces and/or special characters

try holding the reset button on the back of the CCK-W for 30 seconds.  then on your HDDVR press

MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED WIRELESS.  the receiver will then scan for Wi-Fi networks and should d find yours.  once it finds your SSID, select your network name.  if your network is secured, it will ask you to type in your password.  if successful, you will get a message that says "congratulations, your receiver is connected to the internet"  Note that your SSID and/or password cannot have any spaces and/or special characters

21 of 22 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 7:56:23 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have a Hughes Gen 4 Satellite and have not had any problems connecting to my Genie.  However, you have to be careful of downloading things as it will use a lot of your bandwidth - other than that it works fine.

I have a Hughes Gen 4 Satellite and have not had any problems connecting to my Genie.  However, you have to be careful of downloading things as it will use a lot of your bandwidth - other than that it works fine.

22 of 22 (28 Views)