Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 25, 2013
9:22:05 PM
ROKU!! ROKU!! ROKU!! Re: HBO GO

What the hell.  Just got DTV installed.  Try to use Roku with HBO GO, and appears DTV does not allow it.  What kinda crap is this?  I read they just allowed Apple TV users to use HBO Go with DirecTV, but still no Roku!??!  If I am paying the same for HBO as I was with my Cable provider, I would expect to be able to use it the same way!!!

What the hell.  Just got DTV installed.  Try to use Roku with HBO GO, and appears DTV does not allow it.  What kinda crap is this?  I read they just allowed Apple TV users to use HBO Go with DirecTV, but still no Roku!??!  If I am paying the same for HBO as I was with my Cable provider, I would expect to be able to use it the same way!!!

ROKU!! ROKU!! ROKU!! Re: HBO GO

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 11:14:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Be sure to call or email DirecTV directly about this. They won't see your post here.

Be sure to call or email DirecTV directly about this. They won't see your post here.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: ROKU!! ROKU!! ROKU!! Re: HBO GO

2 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2013 6:39:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have a Roku box too and was seriously annoyed that DTV wouldn't allow an HBO GO channel until I realized that most, if not all, of the HBO GO content is also available through HBO VOD.  Streaming through my Roku box would be preferable and more convenient but if there's something you really want to see it can be viewed/downloaded by way of Channel 1501.

I have a Roku box too and was seriously annoyed that DTV wouldn't allow an HBO GO channel until I realized that most, if not all, of the HBO GO content is also available through HBO VOD.  Streaming through my Roku box would be preferable and more convenient but if there's something you really want to see it can be viewed/downloaded by way of Channel 1501.

3 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2013 1:26:47 PM
(0)
Administrator

Supposedly it is because the roku is considered "competition" because of the other services it offers.

BUT, you can use it with your xbox, smart tv, and apple tv, currently. Hopefully they are going to work out something with roku soon, seeing as how those devices offer other competitive apps as well. The only thing you can do is continually contact DTV, and have others contact them as well.

DTV DOES keep track of customer requests, and occasionally when enough people make noise it gets taken care of.

Supposedly it is because the roku is considered "competition" because of the other services it offers.

BUT, you can use it with your xbox, smart tv, and apple tv, currently. Hopefully they are going to work out something with roku soon, seeing as how those devices offer other competitive apps as well. The only thing you can do is continually contact DTV, and have others contact them as well.

DTV DOES keep track of customer requests, and occasionally when enough people make noise it gets taken care of.

4 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2013 1:58:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

Correct currently HBO & Rokus are not compatiable. If you have internet with a CCKW or CCK you can use 1501

Correct currently HBO & Rokus are not compatiable. If you have internet with a CCKW or CCK you can use 1501

5 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 27, 2013 2:05:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah thats pretty stupid.  Dish has it, Time Warner has it.  Not DTV.  Not sure why they would care either.  Even if they consider it "competition", I still have to have HBO service, paid for to DTV, to use it. 

Yeah thats pretty stupid.  Dish has it, Time Warner has it.  Not DTV.  Not sure why they would care either.  Even if they consider it "competition", I still have to have HBO service, paid for to DTV, to use it. 

6 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 11:44:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

I agree. I just an email to Directv in case that helps. But I also wanted to post here in case someone from Directv watches the forums and sees the desire of their users to have Roku support.

I agree. I just an email to Directv in case that helps. But I also wanted to post here in case someone from Directv watches the forums and sees the desire of their users to have Roku support.

7 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 3:19:28 PM
(0)
Employee

see the first post on this thread

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: ROKU!! ROKU!! ROKU!! Re:  HBO GO

8 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 3:06:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

Its about time that DirecTV started recognizing this streaming device, as they recognize products from Sony and Microsoft ( XBOX). Step out of the dark ages, DirecTV!  There is a reason why we and many others have been subscribers since the late 90's...

Get on board, DirecTV!

Its about time that DirecTV started recognizing this streaming device, as they recognize products from Sony and Microsoft ( XBOX). Step out of the dark ages, DirecTV!  There is a reason why we and many others have been subscribers since the late 90's...

Get on board, DirecTV!

9 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 7:10:07 AM
(0)
Contributor

Lets go DIRECTV. Enough of this nonsense.  Make HBO-GO available on ROKU!

Lets go DIRECTV. Enough of this nonsense.  Make HBO-GO available on ROKU!

10 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 7:14:20 AM
(0)
Employee

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2014 8:37:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

I agree. I was very diappointed to find out HBO Go would not work on my RoKu box.

It did work on my Kindle Hd 7 for one whole day. Can not figure out if it is a Directv, Kindle

or HBO problem. One day someone will provide wireless, very high speed internet, TV,

phone for all your devices at a resonable price. We are almost there now. :smileyconfused::smileyangry:

I agree. I was very diappointed to find out HBO Go would not work on my RoKu box.

It did work on my Kindle Hd 7 for one whole day. Can not figure out if it is a Directv, Kindle

or HBO problem. One day someone will provide wireless, very high speed internet, TV,

phone for all your devices at a resonable price. We are almost there now. :smileyconfused::smileyangry:

12 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2014 9:07:12 AM
(0)
Administrator

Has nothing to do with DirecTV.  It is HBO & Roku that is the issue.

Has nothing to do with DirecTV.  It is HBO & Roku that is the issue.

13 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 2:06:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

UPDATE 1/30/14: There has been no "official" confirmation of this as of yet, but I checked out the HBO GO website earlier today, chose "Devices" and selected "Choose your Service Provider."  Under DirecTV, Roku is now listed as one of the devices that will work with HBO GO.  I don't have a Roku (yet) so I can't personally confirm this, but you guys might want to check it out today and see if it works.

UPDATE 1/30/14: There has been no "official" confirmation of this as of yet, but I checked out the HBO GO website earlier today, chose "Devices" and selected "Choose your Service Provider."  Under DirecTV, Roku is now listed as one of the devices that will work with HBO GO.  I don't have a Roku (yet) so I can't personally confirm this, but you guys might want to check it out today and see if it works.

14 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2014 2:54:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

I just got an email from HBO GO announcing that HBO GO was now available on ROKU.  I got as far as activating my ROKU through DirecTV but hit a stone wall when it said my DirecTV subscription didn't include HBO.  That's true ... I cancelled HBO when Game of Thrones' last season ended and I don't plan on re-subscribing until GoT starts back up in April.  That said, it sure seems as though we can now stream HBO content through a ROKU box.  Smiley Happy

I just got an email from HBO GO announcing that HBO GO was now available on ROKU.  I got as far as activating my ROKU through DirecTV but hit a stone wall when it said my DirecTV subscription didn't include HBO.  That's true ... I cancelled HBO when Game of Thrones' last season ended and I don't plan on re-subscribing until GoT starts back up in April.  That said, it sure seems as though we can now stream HBO content through a ROKU box.  Smiley Happy

15 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 10:01:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

I do have a HBO account and indeed the new DirecTv Roku app works. Watching right now.

I do have a HBO account and indeed the new DirecTv Roku app works. Watching right now.

16 of 17 (134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 2:05:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well folks, let's celebrate!  DirecTV now does HBO Go with Roku.  I just hooked mine in!  Hoorah!

1. Add HBO Go to your Roku.  You can add it at Roku.com.

2. Go to HBO Go to activate your Roku.  HBO GO. Connected TV Activation

3. Select Roku and click Activate Your Device. 

4. Select DirecTV and enter your login creditials.

5. HBO Go will give you a code you enter into your Roku.

Give it a few minutes and your up and running!  It's a beautiful interface.

Thank you DirecTV!!!!!!!!!!

Well folks, let's celebrate!  DirecTV now does HBO Go with Roku.  I just hooked mine in!  Hoorah!

1. Add HBO Go to your Roku.  You can add it at Roku.com.

2. Go to HBO Go to activate your Roku.  HBO GO. Connected TV Activation

3. Select Roku and click Activate Your Device. 

4. Select DirecTV and enter your login creditials.

5. HBO Go will give you a code you enter into your Roku.

Give it a few minutes and your up and running!  It's a beautiful interface.

Thank you DirecTV!!!!!!!!!!

17 of 17 (134 Views)