Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 15, 2013
10:21:09 AM
installing on demand with deca not the wireless kit

I have whole home set up with 3 HD DVRs and 1 HD box. I 've been having problem with my wireless cinema connection kit staying connected so I would like to get a wired connection instead.  I have  a DECA not being used which I would like to use now. Its the small black box with DECA written on it with a coax and ethernet connections.

I have 1 coax outlet by my  HR22-100   HD DVR  and a router next to same DVR. since DVR is close enough to  a router I dont need a wireless kit right??

When I search wired connection on DTV they want to do a pro install and charge me.

Thanks for all help-- Steve'o

I have whole home set up with 3 HD DVRs and 1 HD box. I 've been having problem with my wireless cinema connection kit staying connected so I would like to get a wired connection instead.  I have  a DECA not being used which I would like to use now. Its the small black box with DECA written on it with a coax and ethernet connections.

I have 1 coax outlet by my  HR22-100   HD DVR  and a router next to same DVR. since DVR is close enough to  a router I dont need a wireless kit right??

When I search wired connection on DTV they want to do a pro install and charge me.

Thanks for all help-- Steve'o

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 15, 2013 4:18:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You would remove the coax feeding the HR22.  that coax will feed the "IN" on the splitter.  then with two coax jumpers connect the DECA and the HR22.  you will need an external power supply for the DECA

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

installing on demand with deca not the wireless kit

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 12:24:59 PM
(0)
Professor

1. Did the DECA you have come with the power adapter?

2. Do you have an 8 way SWM splitter.

1. Did the DECA you have come with the power adapter?

2. Do you have an 8 way SWM splitter.

Re: installing on demand with deca not the wireless kit

2 of 11 (210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 12:27:08 PM
(0)
Expert

The wired adapter is called a DECA BB adapter and Directv usually requires it be pro installed.  The adapter is fed by a coax signal cable and powered by a AC power supply.  At the router, a Ethernet jumper is used to connect the DECA-BB to the router.  That connection provides a router connection to all of the HD receivers in a Whole Home system.  Here are the parts you'd need.

1.  A 2 way splitter to provide a coax signal source.

2.  A DECA BB adapter.

3.  A couple of coax jumpers.

Here are links to the needed items.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=split2mrv&d=directv-sws-2-satellite-2-way-wide-band-mrv-compa...

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=decabb1r0&d=directv-cinema-connection-kit-(decabb1r0)

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ssjumper&d=solid-signal-one-foot-coax-jumper-cable-(ssjumper)...

The wired adapter is called a DECA BB adapter and Directv usually requires it be pro installed.  The adapter is fed by a coax signal cable and powered by a AC power supply.  At the router, a Ethernet jumper is used to connect the DECA-BB to the router.  That connection provides a router connection to all of the HD receivers in a Whole Home system.  Here are the parts you'd need.

1.  A 2 way splitter to provide a coax signal source.

2.  A DECA BB adapter.

3.  A couple of coax jumpers.

Here are links to the needed items.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=split2mrv&d=directv-sws-2-satellite-2-way-wide-band-mrv-compatible-splitter-(2--2150-mhz)&sku=874409002404

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=decabb1r0&d=directv-cinema-connection-kit-(decabb1r0)

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ssjumper&d=solid-signal-one-foot-coax-jumper-cable-(ssjumper)&sku=610370580769

3 of 11 (210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2013 3:05:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks- the DECA in the link provided is the one I have, I have a splitter also, I have a couple 6 ft coax cable stored away I think. can you explain the connections i.e

coax to splitter, 1 coax to DECA other coax to DVR?  1 ethernet cable from DECA to DVR? 1 ethernet from router to DECA

I also see a white box directv put between the  coax going into it and coax coming out of   hite box to DVR that has to do with whole home  service  I think, do I just leave that there?

I forgot to mention this, I have my wireless connection kit wired via ethernet out of connection kit  to my router since I was have wireless connection problems and it does work, DVR sees it as a wired connection with good speed

you think I will see download speed improve if I  go DECA instead of wireless kit?

alot of questions....  thanks again DCD

Thanks- the DECA in the link provided is the one I have, I have a splitter also, I have a couple 6 ft coax cable stored away I think. can you explain the connections i.e

coax to splitter, 1 coax to DECA other coax to DVR?  1 ethernet cable from DECA to DVR? 1 ethernet from router to DECA

I also see a white box directv put between the  coax going into it and coax coming out of   hite box to DVR that has to do with whole home  service  I think, do I just leave that there?

I forgot to mention this, I have my wireless connection kit wired via ethernet out of connection kit  to my router since I was have wireless connection problems and it does work, DVR sees it as a wired connection with good speed

you think I will see download speed improve if I  go DECA instead of wireless kit?

alot of questions....  thanks again DCD

4 of 11 (210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 15, 2013 4:18:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You would remove the coax feeding the HR22.  that coax will feed the "IN" on the splitter.  then with two coax jumpers connect the DECA and the HR22.  you will need an external power supply for the DECA

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 11 (210 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 6:26:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

Will DECA BB adapter work with One hr 34 genie Dvr and 3  DIRECTV Genie Mini receivers?

Will DECA BB adapter work with One hr 34 genie Dvr and 3  DIRECTV Genie Mini receivers?

6 of 11 (210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 6:30:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Absolutely!

Absolutely!

7 of 11 (210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2016 5:17:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

What would i use at the internet router end and at the end point to inject internet into the coax hub (20 connections) that terminates in my 14 car repair bays.  this is to put local internet in each bay, that already has the coax cable going to the tv ?  looking for a simple solution that will hold up to a non climate controlled environment... thank you

What would i use at the internet router end and at the end point to inject internet into the coax hub (20 connections) that terminates in my 14 car repair bays.  this is to put local internet in each bay, that already has the coax cable going to the tv ?  looking for a simple solution that will hold up to a non climate controlled environment... thank you

8 of 11 (176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2016 11:31:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You would need to run Ethernet to each bay

You would need to run Ethernet to each bay

9 of 11 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2016 1:41:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

I already have coax going to each bay and a TV - Can i run the internet over the TV coax without effecting the signal?  DECA is so inexpensive and i would love to use the existing coax

I already have coax going to each bay and a TV - Can i run the internet over the TV coax without effecting the signal?  DECA is so inexpensive and i would love to use the existing coax

10 of 11 (126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2016 3:04:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Not with that many TVs.  You would need to split the signal too much which will degrade your satellite signal.  On top of this, DECA has a 16 node limit, meaning you can't have more than 16 DECA devices on the DECA network. You will need to run Ethernet 

Not with that many TVs.  You would need to split the signal too much which will degrade your satellite signal.  On top of this, DECA has a 16 node limit, meaning you can't have more than 16 DECA devices on the DECA network. You will need to run Ethernet 

11 of 11 (113 Views)