Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 17, 2013
8:20:38 PM
View profile
Will a Genie client output audio via a composite cable dongle if connected to a TV via HDMI?

Will a Genie client output audio via a composite cable dongle if connected to a TV via HDMI?  I have an older A/V receiver that does not have HDMI inputs and a new TV that does have an HDMI input.  I'd like to connect the client to the TV via an HDMI cable and connect the client to the A/V receiver via a composite cable dongle for sound (using only the red and white RCA audio jacks).  If it will output both simultaneously then when I'm watching TV I can choose to turn on the A/V receiver for sound or leave it off and listen to sound just through the TV.  The other advantage would be that I could listen to Pandora through the client and the AV receiver with the TV turned off.  I don't know if the other outputs on the client are bypassed if the client is connected via HDMI.  Does anybody know?  I don't want to purchase the dongle if it will not work.  Thank you. 

Will a Genie client output audio via a composite cable dongle if connected to a TV via HDMI?  I have an older A/V receiver that does not have HDMI inputs and a new TV that does have an HDMI input.  I'd like to connect the client to the TV via an HDMI cable and connect the client to the A/V receiver via a composite cable dongle for sound (using only the red and white RCA audio jacks).  If it will output both simultaneously then when I'm watching TV I can choose to turn on the A/V receiver for sound or leave it off and listen to sound just through the TV.  The other advantage would be that I could listen to Pandora through the client and the AV receiver with the TV turned off.  I don't know if the other outputs on the client are bypassed if the client is connected via HDMI.  Does anybody know?  I don't want to purchase the dongle if it will not work.  Thank you. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 17, 2013 8:24:36 PM
(0)
Professor

Yes

Accepted Solution

Will a Genie client output audio via a composite cable dongle if connected to a TV via HDMI?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 17, 2013 8:24:36 PM
(0)
Professor

Yes

Yes

Re: Will a Genie client output audio via a composite cable dongle if connected to a TV via HDMI?

2 of 7 (373 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 6:53:14 AM
(0)
Expert

Yes, the Client has all outputs active simultaneously as Shannon stated..  Note however that your proposed hookup will provide no Dolby audio, stereo only.  If your AVR is capable, use the Digital audio output on the Client rather than the composite.  A couple of points that you may experience.  With the TV off, the lack of a HDMI handshake may stop all output from the Client.  And, you won't want to have the TV audio on while using the AVR as they will not be in sync.

Yes, the Client has all outputs active simultaneously as Shannon stated..  Note however that your proposed hookup will provide no Dolby audio, stereo only.  If your AVR is capable, use the Digital audio output on the Client rather than the composite.  A couple of points that you may experience.  With the TV off, the lack of a HDMI handshake may stop all output from the Client.  And, you won't want to have the TV audio on while using the AVR as they will not be in sync.

Re: Will a Genie client output audio via a composite cable dongle if connected to a TV via HDMI?

3 of 7 (373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 7:48:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

The AV receiver that I'm speaking of is in our master bedroom and it only has two speakers connected.  Additionally, the speakers are in-ceiling speakers and they aren't arranged in a left and right configuration.  One is on one end of the room near the TV and the other is on the other end of the room above the bed so they aren't on either side of the TV in a left and right configuration.  Would there be an advantage to using the Dolby Digital coaxial output to connect it to the receiver since I only have a stereo setup and not a surround sound setup?  The receiver doesn't have a DD coaxial input for the TV inputs, but I do have one available on the DVD input which will not be used.  I'd just have to set the audio receiver to DVD when I wanted to watch TV and have the receiver running.  I'd prefer to use the red/white RCA plugs to connect it and set the receiver to TV when watching TV if there is no advantage in sound quality considering my setup.  Is there an advantage considering my setup?

The AV receiver that I'm speaking of is in our master bedroom and it only has two speakers connected.  Additionally, the speakers are in-ceiling speakers and they aren't arranged in a left and right configuration.  One is on one end of the room near the TV and the other is on the other end of the room above the bed so they aren't on either side of the TV in a left and right configuration.  Would there be an advantage to using the Dolby Digital coaxial output to connect it to the receiver since I only have a stereo setup and not a surround sound setup?  The receiver doesn't have a DD coaxial input for the TV inputs, but I do have one available on the DVD input which will not be used.  I'd just have to set the audio receiver to DVD when I wanted to watch TV and have the receiver running.  I'd prefer to use the red/white RCA plugs to connect it and set the receiver to TV when watching TV if there is no advantage in sound quality considering my setup.  Is there an advantage considering my setup?

4 of 7 (373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 2:15:02 AM
(0)
Employee

You recurrent set up is OK since you only have two speakers.

You recurrent set up is OK since you only have two speakers.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 7 (373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 8:00:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

Okay, it works, but the sound coming from the TV does not sync with the sound coming from the AV receiver.  I wonder if I did use the digital coax if it would sync better.

Okay, it works, but the sound coming from the TV does not sync with the sound coming from the AV receiver.  I wonder if I did use the digital coax if it would sync better.

6 of 7 (373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 8:20:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

No, you won't get it to sync. You should switch off the TV speakers while you are outputting audio through the A/V receiver.  The TV takes a finite time to process the digital video and has a built in delay circuit to delay the audio so it syncs with the video. If you use both sets of speakers, you will get an echo effect.

No, you won't get it to sync. You should switch off the TV speakers while you are outputting audio through the A/V receiver.  The TV takes a finite time to process the digital video and has a built in delay circuit to delay the audio so it syncs with the video. If you use both sets of speakers, you will get an echo effect.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 7 (373 Views)