Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Dec 21, 2013
8:07:34 AM
View profile
Weird 771 Error

We just finished our basement and an electrician installed a new jack down there and connected to the green label splitter. I moved a Genie client from another room in the house down there and hooked it up to my new TV. Watching DVR recordings works fine, but when you attempt to watch live TV, you get about one minute of crystal clear HD picture,  then the screen goes black and you get a 771 error. HERE'S THE WEIRD PART: Every other TV that is on in the house also goes black and gets a 771 error. I turn off the basement box, the rest of the house goes back to normal. I tried switching it with another box. Same thing. We never have more than 2-3 TVs on at a time so it should not be an issue of having too many clients on at once. I'm dumbfounded and desperate.

We just finished our basement and an electrician installed a new jack down there and connected to the green label splitter. I moved a Genie client from another room in the house down there and hooked it up to my new TV. Watching DVR recordings works fine, but when you attempt to watch live TV, you get about one minute of crystal clear HD picture,  then the screen goes black and you get a 771 error. HERE'S THE WEIRD PART: Every other TV that is on in the house also goes black and gets a 771 error. I turn off the basement box, the rest of the house goes back to normal. I tried switching it with another box. Same thing. We never have more than 2-3 TVs on at a time so it should not be an issue of having too many clients on at once. I'm dumbfounded and desperate.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 22, 2013 11:44:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Too extreme.  Better to call for a service visit.  Keep us posted.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Weird 771 Error

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 8:52:06 AM
(0)
Expert

Do a red button (inside card door) reset of the main Genie.  While it's booting up, go to three of the Mini Clients and do a red button reset on those.  (button on right side)  That will give your network a fresh look at each component.

Do a red button (inside card door) reset of the main Genie.  While it's booting up, go to three of the Mini Clients and do a red button reset on those.  (button on right side)  That will give your network a fresh look at each component.

Re: Weird 771 Error

2 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 9:04:52 AM
(0)
Mentor

Of course, that was the very first thing I did.

I called DirecTV. They said because I've never had service in that room before I have to pay a $50 client relocation fee and have an installer come out. I said that was ridiculous, I had the jack installed by a professional electrician. She said because there's never been service before in that room that the jack is not cable ready. BS. Seriously? I have to pay $50 to move a client from one room to another? If that is true it is ridiculous, it is a form of extortion, and I'll cancel my service over it on principle.

Of course, that was the very first thing I did.

I called DirecTV. They said because I've never had service in that room before I have to pay a $50 client relocation fee and have an installer come out. I said that was ridiculous, I had the jack installed by a professional electrician. She said because there's never been service before in that room that the jack is not cable ready. BS. Seriously? I have to pay $50 to move a client from one room to another? If that is true it is ridiculous, it is a form of extortion, and I'll cancel my service over it on principle.

3 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 9:52:43 AM
(0)
Expert

"Of course, that was the very first thing I did."

You simultaneously reset all of the receivers, minis and Genie?  As to the service charge for the new outlet.  No one here represents Directv so we cannot change or alter their decisions regarding charges.  It would seem to me that calling out one contractor (Directv) to inspect and possibly correct another's (Electrician) work would trigger some sort of charge.

"Of course, that was the very first thing I did."

You simultaneously reset all of the receivers, minis and Genie?  As to the service charge for the new outlet.  No one here represents Directv so we cannot change or alter their decisions regarding charges.  It would seem to me that calling out one contractor (Directv) to inspect and possibly correct another's (Electrician) work would trigger some sort of charge.

4 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 10:12:05 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yes, I did.

dcd, I respect you, you've helped me out on here before. But honestly, what could an electrician possibly do in installing a cable jack that would cause a client relocation to knock out service to an entire house?

Your second point is illogical to me. DirecTV is going to send out a 20 year-old installer to "inspect and possibly correct" the work of a licensed, bonded, experienced, Angie's List award-winning electrician? I don't think so.

This "relocation charge" is extortion and nothing more.

Yes, I did.

dcd, I respect you, you've helped me out on here before. But honestly, what could an electrician possibly do in installing a cable jack that would cause a client relocation to knock out service to an entire house?

Your second point is illogical to me. DirecTV is going to send out a 20 year-old installer to "inspect and possibly correct" the work of a licensed, bonded, experienced, Angie's List award-winning electrician? I don't think so.

This "relocation charge" is extortion and nothing more.

5 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 10:54:35 AM
(0)
Guru

You didnt happen to move the power inserter did you.Plus did the electrician

Apply a new splitter or wire into the existing.Im wondering if there is a power pass problem somewhere.

You didnt happen to move the power inserter did you.Plus did the electrician

Apply a new splitter or wire into the existing.Im wondering if there is a power pass problem somewhere.

6 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 1:48:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

No. The power inserter has  never been moved. Original green label DirecTV splitter.

No. The power inserter has  never been moved. Original green label DirecTV splitter.

7 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 5:15:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

electricians are known to install very cr@ppy fittings.  it looks like there might be short on that cable.  check the fittings of the new cable.

electricians are known to install very cr@ppy fittings.  it looks like there might be short on that cable.  check the fittings of the new cable.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 5:52:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

Replaced all fittings and wall plate with Monoprice. Reset all receivers simultaneously. Approximately one minute of video then 771 error entire house.

Replaced all fittings and wall plate with Monoprice. Reset all receivers simultaneously. Approximately one minute of video then 771 error entire house.

9 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 6:02:44 PM
(0)
Guru

Are you positive the electrician didnt

Switch around the splitter config.Its really hard to imagine just adding a line causing a problem like that.

Are you positive the electrician didnt

Switch around the splitter config.Its really hard to imagine just adding a line causing a problem like that.

10 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 6:05:20 PM
(0)
Guru

If you can mesure the voltage of the cable leading into the power passing

Port of the splitter see if you are getting 21volts

If you can mesure the voltage of the cable leading into the power passing

Port of the splitter see if you are getting 21volts

11 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 6:08:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

He didn't touch splitter. He left cable and I hooked it up in the same port the box was hooked to previously.

He didn't touch splitter. He left cable and I hooked it up in the same port the box was hooked to previously.

12 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 6:09:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

I don't have a way of doing that, sorry.

I don't have a way of doing that, sorry.

13 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 6:51:17 PM
(0)
Guru

Unscrew the port you swapped from the splitter is that port red in color ?

Unscrew the port you swapped from the splitter is that port red in color ?

14 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 7:19:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Are you using compression fittings? or screw ons?

Are you using compression fittings? or screw ons?

15 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 8:38:27 PM
(0)
Mentor

no

no

16 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 8:38:39 PM
(0)
Mentor

compression

compression

17 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 11:40:37 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm done messing with it and called for service. They are coming out 12/24.

I pondered the idea of doing a full system reset. Not the red button,mind you, but the full return every box to factory settings, erase recordings, everything. Would that be extreme at this point and only lead to more problems?

I'm done messing with it and called for service. They are coming out 12/24.

I pondered the idea of doing a full system reset. Not the red button,mind you, but the full return every box to factory settings, erase recordings, everything. Would that be extreme at this point and only lead to more problems?

18 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 22, 2013 11:44:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

19 of 23 (5 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 12:12:23 PM
(0)
Mentor

DTV came out today. Everything inside tested fine. They went out and found my LNB should have been upgraded when I upgraded to Genie but was not. They put a new one on and everything is fine. The tech that came out really went above and beyond and had to spend quite a lot of time outdoors in below zero temps. I bought his lunch.

DTV came out today. Everything inside tested fine. They went out and found my LNB should have been upgraded when I upgraded to Genie but was not. They put a new one on and everything is fine. The tech that came out really went above and beyond and had to spend quite a lot of time outdoors in below zero temps. I bought his lunch.

20 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 1:14:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Good to hear!  If you would be so kind, please mark the threads with "helpful" and "correct" answers.  Thank you.

Good to hear!  If you would be so kind, please mark the threads with "helpful" and "correct" answers.  Thank you.

21 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 3:35:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Depending on how many clients you are running and also depends on what the line is that was added downstairs. If your line added downstairs says RG6 then its a client issue talking to the host> HR 34 or HR44. Also it could be the power insert was relocated in a direct line outlet and the signal to IRD is being used VIA client side return to SWM Mod. I wouldn't suggest using the PI in any rooms a client is located nor would I use the PI close to any of the HR34 or HR44. I need more details on this setup to help you correct the issue.

Depending on how many clients you are running and also depends on what the line is that was added downstairs. If your line added downstairs says RG6 then its a client issue talking to the host> HR 34 or HR44. Also it could be the power insert was relocated in a direct line outlet and the signal to IRD is being used VIA client side return to SWM Mod. I wouldn't suggest using the PI in any rooms a client is located nor would I use the PI close to any of the HR34 or HR44. I need more details on this setup to help you correct the issue.

22 of 23 (5 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2013 7:30:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yeah, pretty clearly stated the problem is already solved

Yeah, pretty clearly stated the problem is already solved

23 of 23 (5 Views)