Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Jun 21, 2012
1:40:26 PM
View profile
WD TV Live Media Player installation into Home Theater

So, I'm not sure if this is the correct section, but here goes.

My son bought me a WD TV Streaming Media player for my birthday, and I'm having issues about the installation into my home theater system.

I have a Panasonic TH-50PE700U Plasma HDTV, which has two HMi slots, and one HD Composite. In one of the HDMi slots I have a Directv HR23-700 and in the second HDMi slot I have a LG DN898 DVD Player. These are both installed into my Yamaha HTR-5140 Surround Sound System, using optical digital hook ups. My Directv receiver is also hooked up to the internet using a ethernet wiring. My question is how do I hook up this WD TV edia Player into my Home Theater without messing it all up? Any help will be appricated.

So, I'm not sure if this is the correct section, but here goes.

My son bought me a WD TV Streaming Media player for my birthday, and I'm having issues about the installation into my home theater system.

I have a Panasonic TH-50PE700U Plasma HDTV, which has two HMi slots, and one HD Composite. In one of the HDMi slots I have a Directv HR23-700 and in the second HDMi slot I have a LG DN898 DVD Player. These are both installed into my Yamaha HTR-5140 Surround Sound System, using optical digital hook ups. My Directv receiver is also hooked up to the internet using a ethernet wiring. My question is how do I hook up this WD TV edia Player into my Home Theater without messing it all up? Any help will be appricated.

WD TV Live Media Player installation into Home Theater

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 1:45:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The WD TV Streaming Media player should be treated just like your DVD Player and DirecTV Receiver.  It should connect to your Yamaha with its own audio/video inputs.  It will also need an ethernet connection.  If you don't have extra ethernet ports in that room, you can get an ethernet switch to "split" the cable currently feeding the DirecTV Receiver into two cables .... one to the DirecTV Receiver and one to your WD TV Streaming Media player. 

The WD TV Streaming Media player should be treated just like your DVD Player and DirecTV Receiver.  It should connect to your Yamaha with its own audio/video inputs.  It will also need an ethernet connection.  If you don't have extra ethernet ports in that room, you can get an ethernet switch to "split" the cable currently feeding the DirecTV Receiver into two cables .... one to the DirecTV Receiver and one to your WD TV Streaming Media player. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: WD TV Live Media Player installation into Home Theater

2 of 8 (33 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 1:52:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

does your Yamaha HTR-5140 has any HDMI inputs?  if not, then you probably going to need an HDMI switch to connect all your HDMI devices to for TV.

does your Yamaha HTR-5140 has any HDMI inputs?  if not, then you probably going to need an HDMI switch to connect all your HDMI devices to for TV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (33 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 2:15:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

No, it doesn't have any HDMi's, this is where my issue is. So, I would need a HDMi Switch and also an Ethernet switch. Monoprice should have these I hope. Then all I would do is to program my Logitech remote for this new mode for this using the WD TV media player. This sounds so good, because I was so confused on how to hook it up.

No, it doesn't have any HDMi's, this is where my issue is. So, I would need a HDMi Switch and also an Ethernet switch. Monoprice should have these I hope. Then all I would do is to program my Logitech remote for this new mode for this using the WD TV media player. This sounds so good, because I was so confused on how to hook it up.

4 of 8 (33 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 2:41:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

the WD TV Streaming Media player does not have any component outputs, you can either connect your DirecTV receiver or Blu-ray player with component cables to free up an HDMI input for the WD TV Streaming Media player.  or you can get the HDMI switch to connect all of your devices with HDMI with a single HDMI cable to your TV.

the WD TV Streaming Media player does not have any component outputs, you can either connect your DirecTV receiver or Blu-ray player with component cables to free up an HDMI input for the WD TV Streaming Media player.  or you can get the HDMI switch to connect all of your devices with HDMI with a single HDMI cable to your TV.

5 of 8 (33 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 3:00:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

So, I'll need these two items. Ok, now to find them. Thanks,Guys!

So, I'll need these two items. Ok, now to find them. Thanks,Guys!

6 of 8 (33 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 2:08:17 PM
(0)
Expert

Unless your DVD player is BluRay, you could use the component inputs on the TV and use the HDMI for the Directv and the Media Player.

Unless your DVD player is BluRay, you could use the component inputs on the TV and use the HDMI for the Directv and the Media Player.

7 of 8 (33 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 2:19:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

dcd, true, but I and my wife really love how everything is setup now. After some tinkering this morning, I, have the hook ups, and installation all figured out. Yeah, I know, this old man, took forever doing that. Now I just need to wait until monoprice has everything I need back in stock. Once that is done, I'll have the best of both worlds. As, both my twin boys, said, " Welcome to 2012". I'm just one of those, who just hates, doing something, when it's not broke. Cool

dcd, true, but I and my wife really love how everything is setup now. After some tinkering this morning, I, have the hook ups, and installation all figured out. Yeah, I know, this old man, took forever doing that. Now I just need to wait until monoprice has everything I need back in stock. Once that is done, I'll have the best of both worlds. As, both my twin boys, said, " Welcome to 2012". I'm just one of those, who just hates, doing something, when it's not broke. Cool

8 of 8 (33 Views)