Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Apr 1, 2014
7:06:13 PM
View profile
Off air antenna question

If I hook up my off air antenna to the box on the side of the house, will that allow me to get local UHF channels on ALL TVs ? Or do I need to run cable to ALL the receivers off air connectors ? I have the SWM hook up with Whole Home DVR. Thanks.

If I hook up my off air antenna to the box on the side of the house, will that allow me to get local UHF channels on ALL TVs ? Or do I need to run cable to ALL the receivers off air connectors ? I have the SWM hook up with Whole Home DVR. Thanks.

Off air antenna question

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 7:36:23 PM
(0)
Employee

What "box on the side of your house?" model numbers

But the fact that you have WHDVR means that you can't diplex. Further, only the HR20 and H20 receivers were the only ones with OTA inputs, any other models need the AM21 OTA accessory tuner .  one for each receiver, exception to this is the Genie minis which would not need the AM21, just the Genie

So, yes, you need to run dedicated cables to each TV if you want to watch OTA on the TV, if you want to integrate OTA to the DirecTV receivers and you dont have an HR20 or H20, you will need an AM21

What "box on the side of your house?" model numbers

But the fact that you have WHDVR means that you can't diplex. Further, only the HR20 and H20 receivers were the only ones with OTA inputs, any other models need the AM21 OTA accessory tuner .  one for each receiver, exception to this is the Genie minis which would not need the AM21, just the Genie

So, yes, you need to run dedicated cables to each TV if you want to watch OTA on the TV, if you want to integrate OTA to the DirecTV receivers and you dont have an HR20 or H20, you will need an AM21

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Off air antenna question

2 of 5 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2014 7:41:34 PM
(0)
Employee

And if you have any SD receivers, the don't support OTA at all

And if you have any SD receivers, the don't support OTA at all

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 5 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 3:29:47 AM
(0)
Expert

I'm no expert on the use of the AM21, so maybe Peds48 can confirm or correct my facts.  If you get an AM21 and install it with your Genie, then run the antenna feed to the AM21, you will be able to record off air programming on the Genie and those recordings will be watchable at all the Whole Home locations.

I'm no expert on the use of the AM21, so maybe Peds48 can confirm or correct my facts.  If you get an AM21 and install it with your Genie, then run the antenna feed to the AM21, you will be able to record off air programming on the Genie and those recordings will be watchable at all the Whole Home locations.

4 of 5 (8 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2014 4:48:50 AM
(0)
Employee

Correct

Correct

5 of 5 (8 Views)