Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Jul 15, 2013
5:47:30 AM
View profile
My genie mini wont provide sound to my subwoofer

Had a genie and three minis installed yesterday.  Main box is attached to bonus room TV/AV Receiver and provides a Dolby 5.1 signal to my Bose Acoustimass 10.  No issues on this unit at all.  Bedroom genie unit has a single Digital out and what appears to be an S Video output.  The input on my Bose system attached to that TV has one optical input and a standard L/R audio inputs.  Currently, the Blu ray player is using the optical connection to the Bose system and the installer used a cable from the S video output on the genie to the L & R audio inputs on the Cinemate GS Series II.  The two small gemstone cube speakers are working but the subwoofer is not firing.  I had thought about running the genie mini into the bluray player but not sure if that is the answer.  Seems to me that I really need another box that has the proper outputs.

Had a genie and three minis installed yesterday.  Main box is attached to bonus room TV/AV Receiver and provides a Dolby 5.1 signal to my Bose Acoustimass 10.  No issues on this unit at all.  Bedroom genie unit has a single Digital out and what appears to be an S Video output.  The input on my Bose system attached to that TV has one optical input and a standard L/R audio inputs.  Currently, the Blu ray player is using the optical connection to the Bose system and the installer used a cable from the S video output on the genie to the L & R audio inputs on the Cinemate GS Series II.  The two small gemstone cube speakers are working but the subwoofer is not firing.  I had thought about running the genie mini into the bluray player but not sure if that is the answer.  Seems to me that I really need another box that has the proper outputs.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 15, 2013 7:17:36 AM
(0)
Expert

with the addition of a digital to optical audio converter you could connect the C31 the same way.

Accepted Solution

My genie mini wont provide sound to my subwoofer

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 5:55:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

there is not much you can do, since the Bose has a single D input which is being used by the BR.  the connection that you have now for the client only provides stereo sound and I would assume that the Bose could take that stereo signal and simulate a DD sound.  about the other option is to get a digital coax  to optical converter to connect the client to the Bose.  Of course this would mean that would would have to connect and disconnect BL and client as needed.  Better get a "real" AVR with the adequate inputs

there is not much you can do, since the Bose has a single D input which is being used by the BR.  the connection that you have now for the client only provides stereo sound and I would assume that the Bose could take that stereo signal and simulate a DD sound.  about the other option is to get a digital coax  to optical converter to connect the client to the Bose.  Of course this would mean that would would have to connect and disconnect BL and client as needed.  Better get a "real" AVR with the adequate inputs

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: My genie mini wont provide sound to my subwoofer

2 of 8 (103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 6:20:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If your Bose has only one input for digital/optical audio then you can't connect two devices delivering surround sound. The red/white cables only handle regular stereo, this is nothing to do with the DirecTv box. As peds48 says, if you want Dolby DD5.1 surround sound from both the DirecTv box and the bluray player you will need to buy an A/V receiver with at least two digital/optical audio inputs.

If your Bose has only one input for digital/optical audio then you can't connect two devices delivering surround sound. The red/white cables only handle regular stereo, this is nothing to do with the DirecTv box. As peds48 says, if you want Dolby DD5.1 surround sound from both the DirecTv box and the bluray player you will need to buy an A/V receiver with at least two digital/optical audio inputs.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 6:30:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

The Bose Cinemate system is actually only DD 2.1

My previous installation was a TWC cable box using the optical connection and the bluray using the red/white cables.  In this setup, the bluray may not have been playing in 5.1 but is was firing the subwoofer.  The cable box also was playing 2.1 and firing the sub.

The Bose Cinemate system is actually only DD 2.1

My previous installation was a TWC cable box using the optical connection and the bluray using the red/white cables.  In this setup, the bluray may not have been playing in 5.1 but is was firing the subwoofer.  The cable box also was playing 2.1 and firing the sub.

4 of 8 (103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 15, 2013 7:17:36 AM
(0)
Expert

with the addition of a digital to optical audio converter you could connect the C31 the same way.

5 of 8 (103 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 7:26:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

And it looks to be a cheap enough fix! 

And it looks to be a cheap enough fix! 

6 of 8 (103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 7:30:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

As a first time Directv customer I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with how quickly this forum has answered my question.  Thank you to all who submitted your ideas and information.Smiley Happy

As a first time Directv customer I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with how quickly this forum has answered my question.  Thank you to all who submitted your ideas and information.Smiley Happy

7 of 8 (103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 7:31:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You are very welcome

You are very welcome

8 of 8 (103 Views)