Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 25, 2013
9:11:04 AM
View profile
I have a new construction house with a workshop

I have a new construction house with a workshop located about 250' - 300' behind the house. I want to put an HD TV in the shop and would like to know what I can use to span that distance and still get a strong HD quality signal ... will RG11 be sufficient for that distance ???  Is there any type of amp or booster that can be added ??  I'm not yet familiar with satellite installation ...

I have a new construction house with a workshop located about 250' - 300' behind the house. I want to put an HD TV in the shop and would like to know what I can use to span that distance and still get a strong HD quality signal ... will RG11 be sufficient for that distance ???  Is there any type of amp or booster that can be added ??  I'm not yet familiar with satellite installation ...

I have a new construction house with a workshop

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 9:50:53 AM
(0)
Guru

Yes, for that distance it would be the best to use RG11 and put it in a 1.5 inch PVC conduct 18" to 24" below the ground.

By putting it in the conduct, if you needed to add another cable or replace the first cable, it would be a whole lot easier.

You can even run a either cable with it, just besure you get the buryable type either cable from some place like Platt electric or another electric supply house.

Yes, for that distance it would be the best to use RG11 and put it in a 1.5 inch PVC conduct 18" to 24" below the ground.

By putting it in the conduct, if you needed to add another cable or replace the first cable, it would be a whole lot easier.

You can even run a either cable with it, just besure you get the buryable type either cable from some place like Platt electric or another electric supply house.

Re: I have a new construction house with a workshop

2 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 10:04:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the input ... I'm already planning to bury some 2" PVC pipe so I can pull a phone line, cable and whatever else.  Will a cat 5 wire be able to handle that distance without too much loss ??

Thanks for the input ... I'm already planning to bury some 2" PVC pipe so I can pull a phone line, cable and whatever else.  Will a cat 5 wire be able to handle that distance without too much loss ??

3 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 11:27:53 AM
(0)
Expert

Cat5 is rated for about 330 ft I believe.  But of course the Directv receiver won't use the Cat5. 

Cat5 is rated for about 330 ft I believe.  But of course the Directv receiver won't use the Cat5. 

4 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 3:38:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

"either"  cable???  you mean ethernet cable?

if the OP uses PVC conduit, there is no need for direct burial cable

"either"  cable???  you mean ethernet cable?

if the OP uses PVC conduit, there is no need for direct burial cable

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 7:14:12 AM
(0)
Professor

You might also consider a second dish on the workshop building.

You might also consider a second dish on the workshop building.

6 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 7:43:00 AM
(0)
Mentor

The second dish option,  would be much more sensible and less money and work.

The second dish option,  would be much more sensible and less money and work.

7 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 11:55:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

But does that double the cost of service ??

But does that double the cost of service ??

8 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 12:12:44 PM
(0)
Guru

peds  yes ment ethernet cable, slip of fingers.  As for the buryable type cable, even in conduct, moisture will get into the conduct so all cable should be 'buryable' rated, as stated in NEC.

Ethernet cable is service rated for up to max +/- 300ft without an extender amp, (expense) as for amp in the RG11 it will not be needed.

As for the second dish, op will have to pay extra for it, but it is a way to get around the problem, but unless the op has the network, may not be able to see all other recivers if he has a whole home setup.

peds  yes ment ethernet cable, slip of fingers.  As for the buryable type cable, even in conduct, moisture will get into the conduct so all cable should be 'buryable' rated, as stated in NEC.

Ethernet cable is service rated for up to max +/- 300ft without an extender amp, (expense) as for amp in the RG11 it will not be needed.

As for the second dish, op will have to pay extra for it, but it is a way to get around the problem, but unless the op has the network, may not be able to see all other recivers if he has a whole home setup.

9 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 1:37:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

No.

No.

10 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 1:41:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The gel inside a direct burial cable is if the cable get nicks and cuts as it were buried with no conduit.  as the cable is inside a PVC pipe, there is no need for the extra expense.

Not sure where where the NEC references this.  do you have any links?

The gel inside a direct burial cable is if the cable get nicks and cuts as it were buried with no conduit.  as the cable is inside a PVC pipe, there is no need for the extra expense.

Not sure where where the NEC references this.  do you have any links?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 3:18:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You can have a second dish on the same property without needing a second account,  I have a home office in the yard with a second dish. But you will have to install it yourself, or get a local installer to do it.

Whole home is also possible if you have an ethernet cable to the second building, wireless won't work over that sort of distance. (I speak from experience).

You can have a second dish on the same property without needing a second account,  I have a home office in the yard with a second dish. But you will have to install it yourself, or get a local installer to do it.

Whole home is also possible if you have an ethernet cable to the second building, wireless won't work over that sort of distance. (I speak from experience).

12 of 13 (17 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2013 6:40:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the input ... I'd heard of a second dish and just assumed that it would be an extra contract and double the monthly cost. Glad to know that's not the way it works. I think the second dish might well be the way to go. I'll still bury PVC pipe to pull in some other stuff, so I still won't get out of all of the work but at least I'll know I'll have a good signal with the second dish .... THANKS GUYS !!

Thanks for the input ... I'd heard of a second dish and just assumed that it would be an extra contract and double the monthly cost. Glad to know that's not the way it works. I think the second dish might well be the way to go. I'll still bury PVC pipe to pull in some other stuff, so I still won't get out of all of the work but at least I'll know I'll have a good signal with the second dish .... THANKS GUYS !!

13 of 13 (17 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments