Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 20, 2013
5:36:23 PM
View profile
How to setup a outdoor/patio TV

Besides running a very long cable from my Genie to the outside TV, or paying the obscene amount of money to get the new C41W installed, is there a way to run a wireless setup with any 3rd party adapters?

Besides running a very long cable from my Genie to the outside TV, or paying the obscene amount of money to get the new C41W installed, is there a way to run a wireless setup with any 3rd party adapters?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 20, 2013 5:47:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

I had a customer 6-7 months ago whose son was using some device from RocketFish that was sending HD video from HDDVR to tv located in another room wirelessly. Check the internet or try Best Buy. There are plenty of devices that will send SD wirelessly. Read the reviews. Personally, I'd pay more for something that works with less issues.

Good luck.

Accepted Solution

How to setup a outdoor/patio TV

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 20, 2013 5:47:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

I had a customer 6-7 months ago whose son was using some device from RocketFish that was sending HD video from HDDVR to tv located in another room wirelessly. Check the internet or try Best Buy. There are plenty of devices that will send SD wirelessly. Read the reviews. Personally, I'd pay more for something that works with less issues.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Re: How to setup a outdoor/patio TV

2 of 13 (2,770 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 6:08:37 PM
(0)
Administrator

The problem with most of the cheaper HDMI wireless setups, is that you run into sub-par HD video.  There are some good ones out there, but cost around $500 or more.  Can you possibly pull Cat-6 for HDMI over Ethernet Wiring?  You would need a MUX (Multiplexer), to allow you to split the feed from the Genie to the other or multiple locations, but that may be the best way to go.

If you go to Video Equipment Wireless HDMI Systems at Markertek.com the Gefen is really the only one that I would go with.  There is also the HDMI over Coax setups, if you can or already have Coax at that location Amazon.com: hdmi over coax: Electronics

The problem with most of the cheaper HDMI wireless setups, is that you run into sub-par HD video.  There are some good ones out there, but cost around $500 or more.  Can you possibly pull Cat-6 for HDMI over Ethernet Wiring?  You would need a MUX (Multiplexer), to allow you to split the feed from the Genie to the other or multiple locations, but that may be the best way to go.

If you go to Video Equipment Wireless HDMI Systems at Markertek.com the Gefen is really the only one that I would go with.  There is also the HDMI over Coax setups, if you can or already have Coax at that location Amazon.com: hdmi over coax: Electronics

3 of 13 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 7:22:15 PM
(0)
Employee

While there are many devices that does HDMI over wireless, they tend to be very expensive and their results may vary. 

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-14102_7-6649632.html

At this point, I would not even consider the C41w as their are not ready for  prime time yet and their not available in all markets yet.

a good hard wired connection is your best bet

While there are many devices that does HDMI over wireless, they tend to be very expensive and their results may vary. 

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-14102_7-6649632.html

At this point, I would not even consider the C41w as their are not ready for  prime time yet and their not available in all markets yet.

a good hard wired connection is your best bet

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 13 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 7:58:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

I really just want to be able to bring a TV outside once or twice a week and watch TV.  I don't need anything permanent.  Is there an easy way to do this?  It is a long run though from my closest Genie to the patio.

I really just want to be able to bring a TV outside once or twice a week and watch TV.  I don't need anything permanent.  Is there an easy way to do this?  It is a long run though from my closest Genie to the patio.

5 of 13 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 8:20:33 AM
(0)
Employee
well, we already gave you some options....
well, we already gave you some options....
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 13 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 2:01:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

You can always run a jumper from the closest room to your patio. Then carry the tv and receiver out to the patio.

You can always run a jumper from the closest room to your patio. Then carry the tv and receiver out to the patio.

7 of 13 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 2:19:20 PM
(0)
Employee

Awesome idea!

Awesome idea!

8 of 13 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 2:32:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK, i am good with just carrying out a receive and TV.  Forgive me for being ignorant.  What does it mean to run a jumper?  What does that entail/what do I need to get to do that?

OK, i am good with just carrying out a receive and TV.  Forgive me for being ignorant.  What does it mean to run a jumper?  What does that entail/what do I need to get to do that?

9 of 13 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 5:01:14 PM
(0)
Professor

I think it means to get some RG6 coax long enough to reach the patio and a barrel connector to connect the new coax to the existing coax to extend the run to the patio.  

I think it means to get some RG6 coax long enough to reach the patio and a barrel connector to connect the new coax to the existing coax to extend the run to the patio.  

10 of 13 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 5:08:55 PM
(0)
Employee

Exactly.  shannon1 nailed it.

Exactly.  shannon1 nailed it.

11 of 13 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 6:34:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you all for your help with this, I really appreciate it!  I went to Best Buy and found the IOGEAR Wireless 3D AV Transmitter and Receiver.  Easy to setup and it streamed the audio and video in HD from our family room to our outside patio with no issue.

Thank you all for your help with this, I really appreciate it!  I went to Best Buy and found the IOGEAR Wireless 3D AV Transmitter and Receiver.  Easy to setup and it streamed the audio and video in HD from our family room to our outside patio with no issue.

12 of 13 (2,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 12:33:50 PM
(0)
Professor

Thanks for the update, you are welcome.

Thanks for the update, you are welcome.

13 of 13 (2,770 Views)