Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 9, 2013
4:54:37 PM
View profile
How do you record off direct tv standard (no HD) receiver to tv/vcr combo?

I have a TV/VCR combo hooked to the standard no HD receiver. I can set up the timer on the tv/vcr but it doesn't record. I tried leaving the receiver on and off, doesn't work.

Anybody know how to do this?? Thanks!!

SPower

I have a TV/VCR combo hooked to the standard no HD receiver. I can set up the timer on the tv/vcr but it doesn't record. I tried leaving the receiver on and off, doesn't work.

Anybody know how to do this?? Thanks!!

SPower

How do you record off direct tv standard (no HD) receiver to tv/vcr combo?

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 5:12:12 PM
(0)
Employee

you want to connect the SD receiver with composite cables (yellow, red and white RCA type ) then set up the VCR to the corresponding input, (LINE 1 or 2 or AUX 1 or 2)

you want to connect the SD receiver with composite cables (yellow, red and white RCA type ) then set up the VCR to the corresponding input, (LINE 1 or 2 or AUX 1 or 2)

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: How do you record off direct tv standard (no HD) receiver to tv/vcr combo?

2 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 5:21:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The typical setup to record from your DirecTV Reciever/DVR to a VCR or DVD recorder is:

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR Audio/Video Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT1)

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR A/V Output -> matching DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Input

* DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT2)

Use the TV's Input/Source Selector Function to switch between the DirecTV receiver and VCR/DVD Recorder.  To record on the DVD/VCR Recorder, select the DirecTV Receiver/DVR Input on the recorder, set the DirecTV Receiver/DVR to the channel to record (or play a recording to copy on a DVR), and start recording on your DVD/VCR Recorder.

The typical setup to record from your DirecTV Reciever/DVR to a VCR or DVD recorder is:

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR Audio/Video Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT1)

* DirecTV Receiver/DVR A/V Output -> matching DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Input

* DVD/VCR Recorder A/V Output -> matching TV A/V Input (e.g. INPUT2)

Use the TV's Input/Source Selector Function to switch between the DirecTV receiver and VCR/DVD Recorder.  To record on the DVD/VCR Recorder, select the DirecTV Receiver/DVR Input on the recorder, set the DirecTV Receiver/DVR to the channel to record (or play a recording to copy on a DVR), and start recording on your DVD/VCR Recorder.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 5:51:35 PM
(0)
Mentor

Like I mentioned, I have standard box, no HD no DVR! Just trying to record off tv/vcr.

Like I mentioned, I have standard box, no HD no DVR! Just trying to record off tv/vcr.

4 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 5:52:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

Its all connected, that is the easy part. It just doesn't start recording at the scheduled time. Any ideas??

Its all connected, that is the easy part. It just doesn't start recording at the scheduled time. Any ideas??

5 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 6:18:33 PM
(0)
Employee

Well you have to set the timer on the VCR

Well you have to set the timer on the VCR

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 6:27:26 PM
(0)
Mentor

Wow! No kidding?? Come on I am not that stupid!

It is connected

The timer is set

Tried leaving the receiver on - didn't work

Set receiver to channel I want to record - didn't work

Don't know what else to try to get it to work

Wow! No kidding?? Come on I am not that stupid!

It is connected

The timer is set

Tried leaving the receiver on - didn't work

Set receiver to channel I want to record - didn't work

Don't know what else to try to get it to work

7 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 6:54:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

Forgot to mention....with tv and receiver on I can hit record and it will record. Just isn't recording using the timer which is what I really would like to do.

Forgot to mention....with tv and receiver on I can hit record and it will record. Just isn't recording using the timer which is what I really would like to do.

8 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 11:35:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What exactly is not working?  What exactly happens at the desired programmed recording time? 

If the VCR isn't starting to record at the programmed time, then the problem is with the VCR.  Of course, the DirecTV Receiver must be ON so that the video signal is available when the VCR starts to record. 

What exactly is not working?  What exactly happens at the desired programmed recording time? 

If the VCR isn't starting to record at the programmed time, then the problem is with the VCR.  Of course, the DirecTV Receiver must be ON so that the video signal is available when the VCR starts to record. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 3:09:16 AM
(0)
Expert

The current model Directv receivers do not have any automatic "record to VCR" feature like the old models.  The receiver must be on the desired channel, turned on and playing for there to be any signal for the VCR to record.  Most folks simply use a DVR as it is all automatic and works like a charm.

The current model Directv receivers do not have any automatic "record to VCR" feature like the old models.  The receiver must be on the desired channel, turned on and playing for there to be any signal for the VCR to record.  Most folks simply use a DVR as it is all automatic and works like a charm.

10 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 8:19:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

This is for everyone.  According to technical support at DirecTV, this is not possible.  They are trapping anyone who wishes to record any shows into having to pay $10 per month for the DVR feature on the satellite receiver.  Of course, this feature only lets you record two shows at a time.  It costs even more per month for the Genie.

DOES THIS SEEM RIGHT!!!!!!

This is for everyone.  According to technical support at DirecTV, this is not possible.  They are trapping anyone who wishes to record any shows into having to pay $10 per month for the DVR feature on the satellite receiver.  Of course, this feature only lets you record two shows at a time.  It costs even more per month for the Genie.

DOES THIS SEEM RIGHT!!!!!!

11 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 9:37:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There really no comparison between using an HD DVR and manually recording stuff from a plain Receiver to a VCR/DVD Recorder.   It's MUCH more convenient to have that functionality built inside a true DVR.  And there's no way to record HiDef channels.

There really no comparison between using an HD DVR and manually recording stuff from a plain Receiver to a VCR/DVD Recorder.   It's MUCH more convenient to have that functionality built inside a true DVR.  And there's no way to record HiDef channels.

12 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 10:44:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

That's just it. DirecTV will only allow you to manually record. There is no option to set up timer recordings. They are holding you hostage because of the lack of this option.

That's just it. DirecTV will only allow you to manually record. There is no option to set up timer recordings. They are holding you hostage because of the lack of this option.

13 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 10:49:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Not sure I follow your point, marblekitty.  Standard Receivers do have an "Autotune" feature that will set the Receiver to the desired channel at the desired time.  That feature, coupled with the VCR/DVD Recorder's timer, enables automate recordings between the Receiver and VCR/DVD Recorder.   Still not nearly as convenient as a combined DVR, however.

Not sure I follow your point, marblekitty.  Standard Receivers do have an "Autotune" feature that will set the Receiver to the desired channel at the desired time.  That feature, coupled with the VCR/DVD Recorder's timer, enables automate recordings between the Receiver and VCR/DVD Recorder.   Still not nearly as convenient as a combined DVR, however.

14 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 7:08:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

According to DirecTV, they don't have this feature.

According to DirecTV, they don't have this feature.

15 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 9:32:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Don't have what feature, marblekitty?  Non-DVRs most certainly do have the "Autotune" feature. 

Don't have what feature, marblekitty?  Non-DVRs most certainly do have the "Autotune" feature. 

16 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 9:41:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

You obviously work for DirecTV. You tell me where I can find and how I can operate the auto-tune feature.

You obviously work for DirecTV. You tell me where I can find and how I can operate the auto-tune feature.

17 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 11:37:16 AM
(0)
Expert

Here's a link to an easy set of "Autotune" instructions.  Note that this is a user to user technical help forum.  Litzdog911 is a volunteer like the rest of us.  Those with a Gold Star have been doing this for years and can be relied on to give you facts and common sense solutions in many cases.

How to Set a DirecTV Reciever to Change Channels Automatically | eHow

Here's a link to an easy set of "Autotune" instructions.  Note that this is a user to user technical help forum.  Litzdog911 is a volunteer like the rest of us.  Those with a Gold Star have been doing this for years and can be relied on to give you facts and common sense solutions in many cases.

How to Set a DirecTV Reciever to Change Channels Automatically | eHow

18 of 19 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2013 11:40:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I can assure you I'm not a DirecTV employee, marblekitty.   What is the model number of your DirecTV Receiver?  Look for the label on the rear panel or behind the front panel access card door.

I can assure you I'm not a DirecTV employee, marblekitty.   What is the model number of your DirecTV Receiver?  Look for the label on the rear panel or behind the front panel access card door.

19 of 19 (219 Views)