Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Mar 24, 2014
9:58:42 AM
View profile
Hooking up new Samsung 7100 as RVU client to genie

I just bought a Samsung 7100. Upon setup, I see that it may be an RVU "client" and be bale to be used in conjunction with our genie without any additional Directv hardware. Without having anything connected to my TV, it sees my genie box upstairs. I have one TV wired to the genie, another in the bedroom wired to a Directv mini client, and want to know if there is a way to use my new TV with nothing, and have it attach to my genie. I have coax available from my multi-switch to the new TV location. I know I could easily add another mini, connect it to Directv via coax, and then HDMI to the TV, but if we can do it without the mini, that would be preferred. Please advise!

I just bought a Samsung 7100. Upon setup, I see that it may be an RVU "client" and be bale to be used in conjunction with our genie without any additional Directv hardware. Without having anything connected to my TV, it sees my genie box upstairs. I have one TV wired to the genie, another in the bedroom wired to a Directv mini client, and want to know if there is a way to use my new TV with nothing, and have it attach to my genie. I have coax available from my multi-switch to the new TV location. I know I could easily add another mini, connect it to Directv via coax, and then HDMI to the TV, but if we can do it without the mini, that would be preferred. Please advise!

Hooking up new Samsung 7100 as RVU client to genie

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 10:12:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Some TVs need to be hard wired to your network in order to function as a client some can be done wirelessly. So that is your first step to find out whic0 option works with your TV. Hard wired is always recommended over wireless.

After the TV is connected to yippie network you need to call DirecTV to add a client license to your account, there is a $6.00 monthly fee.

Once DirecTV has added the client license you need to go to your Genie WHDVR menu and select MANAGE CLIENTS then ADD a CLIENT. Then go your TV and select the RVU mode and enter the 4 digit PIN you got from the Genie, continue following the activation process

Some TVs need to be hard wired to your network in order to function as a client some can be done wirelessly. So that is your first step to find out whic0 option works with your TV. Hard wired is always recommended over wireless.

After the TV is connected to yippie network you need to call DirecTV to add a client license to your account, there is a $6.00 monthly fee.

Once DirecTV has added the client license you need to go to your Genie WHDVR menu and select MANAGE CLIENTS then ADD a CLIENT. Then go your TV and select the RVU mode and enter the 4 digit PIN you got from the Genie, continue following the activation process

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Hooking up new Samsung 7100 as RVU client to genie

2 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 10:22:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

So wirelessly, it sees my WHDVR already...can I call DirecTV to add a license now, or should I wait until I get home and try to hook up coax?

So wirelessly, it sees my WHDVR already...can I call DirecTV to add a license now, or should I wait until I get home and try to hook up coax?

3 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 10:25:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you use coax you need a DECA BroadBand Adapter which you can from eirher DirecTV or others online sources. The coax then needs to connect to the DirecTV SWM sitter

If you use coax you need a DECA BroadBand Adapter which you can from eirher DirecTV or others online sources. The coax then needs to connect to the DirecTV SWM sitter

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 10:26:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You need to call when you are in front on the TV as they will need the TV's series number and/or MAC address

You need to call when you are in front on the TV as they will need the TV's series number and/or MAC address

5 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 10:43:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

But if I stick with wireless, it can be done? Just call when I am at the TV to add client?

But if I stick with wireless, it can be done? Just call when I am at the TV to add client?

6 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 10:45:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

I only have the HR34 receiver.

I only have the HR34 receiver.

7 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 10:54:59 AM
(0)
Expert

jab138 wrote:

I have coax available from my multi-switch to the new TV location.

It appears that you seem to be concentrating on the Wi Fi capabilities of hooking up your new TV.  Personally, if I had a coax connection available, I wouldn't spend a moment considering wireless but rather would use the coax.  A large number of the posts we see here in the forums involve a poor Wi Fi connection.  Keep in mind that a HD TV signal carries a huge amount of data and requires a constant steady flow of that data.  When you note the "Internet is slow today" problems on a computer or mobile device, it simply is a bit irritating.  When this occurs with a TV signal the picture falls apart.

jab138 wrote:

I have coax available from my multi-switch to the new TV location.

It appears that you seem to be concentrating on the Wi Fi capabilities of hooking up your new TV.  Personally, if I had a coax connection available, I wouldn't spend a moment considering wireless but rather would use the coax.  A large number of the posts we see here in the forums involve a poor Wi Fi connection.  Keep in mind that a HD TV signal carries a huge amount of data and requires a constant steady flow of that data.  When you note the "Internet is slow today" problems on a computer or mobile device, it simply is a bit irritating.  When this occurs with a TV signal the picture falls apart.

8 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 11:17:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am happy to have a wired connection for stability! I would just like to find the best setup, with the least amount of wiring and hardware. Seems like coax from the SWM to the TV with a DECA BB adapter will be best. Can I get one of those locally? Best Buy or somewhere?

I am happy to have a wired connection for stability! I would just like to find the best setup, with the least amount of wiring and hardware. Seems like coax from the SWM to the TV with a DECA BB adapter will be best. Can I get one of those locally? Best Buy or somewhere?

9 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 11:25:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Nope they are not available locally, only from DirecTV or oine sources like eBay and the like

Nope they are not available locally, only from DirecTV or oine sources like eBay and the like

10 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 11:26:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

Also/Or, could I just connect the TV via coax to the SWiM without the DECA? What happens in that case?

Also/Or, could I just connect the TV via coax to the SWiM without the DECA? What happens in that case?

11 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 11:31:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

And would the TV work without a DECA? Just coax from TV to SWiM that is also coaxed to genie?

And would the TV work without a DECA? Just coax from TV to SWiM that is also coaxed to genie?

12 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 11:32:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If the TV had DECA built in yes. I would not tell you to get something you don't need.

The coax connector on your TV is for OTA, the coax in this case will be used for networking, two different things

If the TV had DECA built in yes. I would not tell you to get something you don't need.

The coax connector on your TV is for OTA, the coax in this case will be used for networking, two different things

13 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 12:29:59 PM
(0)
Expert

The DECA adapter is used to connect the TV's coax and Ethernet ports to the Directv coax.  The Ethernet portion is what is used for both streaming of programming from the Genie to the TV and connection to the Internet.  Without the DECA no data will flow from the Genie, thus the TV will have no programming available.  Here's a link.  Note you may need a longer Cat5 Ethernet jumper cable to reach the TV's Ethernet port.

New Model DirecTV Broadband Deca DCA2PR0 18 for SWM Only MWR on Demand | eBay

The DECA adapter is used to connect the TV's coax and Ethernet ports to the Directv coax.  The Ethernet portion is what is used for both streaming of programming from the Genie to the TV and connection to the Internet.  Without the DECA no data will flow from the Genie, thus the TV will have no programming available.  Here's a link.  Note you may need a longer Cat5 Ethernet jumper cable to reach the TV's Ethernet port.

New Model DirecTV Broadband Deca DCA2PR0 18 for SWM Only MWR on Demand | eBay

14 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 12:43:25 PM
(0)
Guru

Just to add to dcd advice the

You need a powered deca 2 not

The 1st gen receiver deca it

Will not work it has to be a

Powered deca 2

Just to add to dcd advice the

You need a powered deca 2 not

The 1st gen receiver deca it

Will not work it has to be a

Powered deca 2

15 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 12:52:28 PM
(0)
Expert

Woops, yes, thanks for the heads up.  I've corrected the link.

Woops, yes, thanks for the heads up.  I've corrected the link.

16 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 3:20:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The White DECAs along with the power adapter works fine

The White DECAs along with the power adapter works fine

17 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 3:49:09 PM
(0)
Guru

True you could aslo use a first gen broad band deca but its easier and

Cleaner to use a powerd deca 2

True you could aslo use a first gen broad band deca but its easier and

Cleaner to use a powerd deca 2

18 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 6:30:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Actually the 1 Gen DECA BB makes it cleaner as all the cables comes out the same side (the back) as opposed the newer ones where there is a cable in the "front" and 2 in the "back"

Actually the 1 Gen DECA BB makes it cleaner as all the cables comes out the same side (the back) as opposed the newer ones where there is a cable in the "front" and 2 in the "back"

19 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 8:45:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

All systems go! I got a DECA from DTV free of charge...plug and go. The tv connected automatically, I just had to go to the genie and add a client to get the 4 digit ID code to enter on the new TV. As a bonus, the Samsung smart remote works nicely with DTV, so no extra remote is needed. Thanks for the advisement!

All systems go! I got a DECA from DTV free of charge...plug and go. The tv connected automatically, I just had to go to the genie and add a client to get the 4 digit ID code to enter on the new TV. As a bonus, the Samsung smart remote works nicely with DTV, so no extra remote is needed. Thanks for the advisement!

20 of 21 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 11:54:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

21 of 21 (217 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments