Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 29, 2014
4:17:28 PM
View profile
Connecting to Genie mini via ethernet

I would like to install DirectTV accessed by three televisions.  Using the Genie DVR plus two Genie minis looks appealing. 

Unfortunately, one of the television locations is in an outbuilding to which there is no coax run from the main house.  However, there is gigabit ethernet between the house and outbuilding.  Is it possible to connect the Genie mini through ethernet in some way?  Is there a different client device I could use in the outbuilding to connect to the Genie DVR via ethernet?

I suppose an alternative is wireless Genie, however I suspect it won't work because of range and obstruction issues.

- Ehz

I would like to install DirectTV accessed by three televisions.  Using the Genie DVR plus two Genie minis looks appealing. 

Unfortunately, one of the television locations is in an outbuilding to which there is no coax run from the main house.  However, there is gigabit ethernet between the house and outbuilding.  Is it possible to connect the Genie mini through ethernet in some way?  Is there a different client device I could use in the outbuilding to connect to the Genie DVR via ethernet?

I suppose an alternative is wireless Genie, however I suspect it won't work because of range and obstruction issues.

- Ehz

Connecting to Genie mini via ethernet

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2014 5:29:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Nope, Genie mini can only be connected via coax.  The wireless mini has about a 70ft range in open air from the Wireless Video Bridge which connects via coax.  Range is much less once the signal has to go through obstructions

Nope, Genie mini can only be connected via coax.  The wireless mini has about a 70ft range in open air from the Wireless Video Bridge which connects via coax.  Range is much less once the signal has to go through obstructions

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Connecting to Genie mini via ethernet

2 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2014 5:35:43 PM
(0)
Professor

An RVU TV can use an Ethernet cable

An RVU TV can use an Ethernet cable

3 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2014 5:38:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

that is not correct, at least not 100%.  While this can be accomplished, you have to use a coax with a BroadBand DECA first for activation 

that is not correct, at least not 100%.  While this can be accomplished, you have to use a coax with a BroadBand DECA first for activation 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2014 5:47:25 PM
(0)
Professor

I thought that the mini would satisfied the the new Moca test. 

I thought that the mini would satisfied the the new Moca test. 

5 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2014 5:51:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Nope, the RVU TV would throw error 54 if is not connected by coax

Nope, the RVU TV would throw error 54 if is not connected by coax

6 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2014 5:58:08 PM
(0)
Professor

So if he activates it in the main house with coax/DECA BB can he then move it to the outbuilding with the Ethernet?

So if he activates it in the main house with coax/DECA BB can he then move it to the outbuilding with the Ethernet?

7 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2014 6:02:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, but of course this will be unsupported.  Any issues and the OP will have to fix themselves

Yes, but of course this will be unsupported.  Any issues and the OP will have to fix themselves

8 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2014 11:37:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

Have not tried it or if anyone has but on wireless genie mini you can try to do a wireless bridge on the genie's wireless video bridge. I have done it on other devices mobile computers (Motorola MC series) but not exactly on DirecTV.

If the WVB operates the same way as other access points (like Symbol does), then you can try. You just need a power receptacle for the WVB and WGM.

Have not tried it or if anyone has but on wireless genie mini you can try to do a wireless bridge on the genie's wireless video bridge. I have done it on other devices mobile computers (Motorola MC series) but not exactly on DirecTV.

If the WVB operates the same way as other access points (like Symbol does), then you can try. You just need a power receptacle for the WVB and WGM.

9 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2014 5:17:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

"jury-rigging" is not approved by DirecTV®

"jury-rigging" is not approved by DirecTV®

10 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2014 5:46:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

I don't know if wireless bridging is the same as jury rigging or if the latter is a slang. But wireless bridging is a valid practice for places that requires [good] Internet connection where wired connection is not economical like convention centers and such. The only thing is, if I remember correctly, the access points needs to be on its own network not the same addresses from the switch.

I don't know why DirecTV does not approve of that practice... :smileyshocked:

I don't know how "big" the place the OP is referring if it is exaggeration or not. To what I know for an external structure, the most reliable way to get an Internet connection is by cable bury.

I don't know if wireless bridging is the same as jury rigging or if the latter is a slang. But wireless bridging is a valid practice for places that requires [good] Internet connection where wired connection is not economical like convention centers and such. The only thing is, if I remember correctly, the access points needs to be on its own network not the same addresses from the switch.

I don't know why DirecTV does not approve of that practice... :smileyshocked:

I don't know how "big" the place the OP is referring if it is exaggeration or not. To what I know for an external structure, the most reliable way to get an Internet connection is by cable bury.

11 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2014 5:55:28 PM
(0)
Professor

If DTV provides it then it is approved if not then it is not approved.

If DTV provides it then it is approved if not then it is not approved.

12 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2014 12:27:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you all.  The conclusion is there is no supported way to connect Genie minis via wired ethernet. 

I can understand why, I suppose: many home networks would be overwhelmed by the traffic, leading to poor performance for which customers would blame directv.  But it does seem like a shame. 

- Ehz

Thank you all.  The conclusion is there is no supported way to connect Genie minis via wired ethernet. 

I can understand why, I suppose: many home networks would be overwhelmed by the traffic, leading to poor performance for which customers would blame directv.  But it does seem like a shame. 

- Ehz

13 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2014 1:18:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

But DirecTV does not provide the customers with wireless router/ap, right?

If we are talking about the WVB, then it may not be supported. But if what I think is correct, then a technician can install multiple WVB, no additional charge, for the WGM to receive good signal if one WVB provides weak signal. Then again, that only applies if the WGM is receiving low or weak signal from WVB within the same structure; not sure if external structures are covered.

But still... the best route is to have it wired than being wireless. At least signal interference will not be much of a problem compared to wireless setup.

But DirecTV does not provide the customers with wireless router/ap, right?

If we are talking about the WVB, then it may not be supported. But if what I think is correct, then a technician can install multiple WVB, no additional charge, for the WGM to receive good signal if one WVB provides weak signal. Then again, that only applies if the WGM is receiving low or weak signal from WVB within the same structure; not sure if external structures are covered.

But still... the best route is to have it wired than being wireless. At least signal interference will not be much of a problem compared to wireless setup.

14 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2014 2:41:41 PM
(0)
Professor

I don't think it is a traffic problem as it all comes through the Gateway/modem and then splits up to the devices. I think that with the new MoCa test is DTV way of saying it is no longer supporting using the Ethernet port and will either eliminate them in future receivers or change it use.

I don't think it is a traffic problem as it all comes through the Gateway/modem and then splits up to the devices. I think that with the new MoCa test is DTV way of saying it is no longer supporting using the Ethernet port and will either eliminate them in future receivers or change it use.

15 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2014 3:25:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DirecTV® does not provide a router, they do provide an AP aka, Wireless Video Bridge.  Wireless Video Bridge needs a coax from the SWM system

DirecTV® does not provide a router, they do provide an AP aka, Wireless Video Bridge.  Wireless Video Bridge needs a coax from the SWM system

16 of 18 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2016 9:45:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

What about using a coax extender over ethernet?

What about using a coax extender over ethernet?

17 of 18 (420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2016 7:49:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

i have been doing this very thing with the competition for 3 years now.  i did the method described above of activating the joey (in the case of dish tv) via cable then moving it to the remote location and connecting it via ethernet. been working great. never had to call for support (which of course would have meant moving it back into the main house and connecting it via cable again)

am thinking of moving to directv but it is imperative that i be able to connect one genie mini via ethernet.

anybody out there been doing this?

i have been doing this very thing with the competition for 3 years now.  i did the method described above of activating the joey (in the case of dish tv) via cable then moving it to the remote location and connecting it via ethernet. been working great. never had to call for support (which of course would have meant moving it back into the main house and connecting it via cable again)

am thinking of moving to directv but it is imperative that i be able to connect one genie mini via ethernet.

anybody out there been doing this?

18 of 18 (118 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments