Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Nov 20, 2012
8:37:26 AM
Connect Genie Mini Client to CRT TV

I have not yet ordered DirecTV, as I have a question about connecting the Genie Mini Client to an old CRT TV with only RCA inputs.  I see that the Genie Mini Client only has HDMI and the A/V outputs on it.  The TV that this would be connected to does not have HDMI and the A/V output does not appear to be S-Video (apparently it is a component/composite adapter that includes audio).  I will have DTV professionally install this, will they provide this cable so that the Mini Client can be connected to this old TV?  If not, where can I buy one of these cables?  What exactly is the cable called?

Thanks for any assistance that is provided.

I have not yet ordered DirecTV, as I have a question about connecting the Genie Mini Client to an old CRT TV with only RCA inputs.  I see that the Genie Mini Client only has HDMI and the A/V outputs on it.  The TV that this would be connected to does not have HDMI and the A/V output does not appear to be S-Video (apparently it is a component/composite adapter that includes audio).  I will have DTV professionally install this, will they provide this cable so that the Mini Client can be connected to this old TV?  If not, where can I buy one of these cables?  What exactly is the cable called?

Thanks for any assistance that is provided.

Connect Genie Mini Client to CRT TV

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 9:11:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

Another add-on:  If I do upgrade the TV eventually, and am able to use the HDMI output, will I be able to use the A/V output simultaneously with the HDMI (to record to a VCR)?

Thanks again.

Another add-on:  If I do upgrade the TV eventually, and am able to use the HDMI output, will I be able to use the A/V output simultaneously with the HDMI (to record to a VCR)?

Thanks again.

Re: Connect Genie Mini Client to CRT TV

2 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 12:32:20 PM
(0)
Master

DTV will provide the composite dongle (yellow,red,white) for the C-31 genie client if it is in stock, you will need to get the component dongle and a component to composite adapter to record to a VCR to avoid 2 problems the first is a message saying your cables are not HD and the second is some HBO and other providers are using HDCP to prevent HD copying.

DTV will provide the composite dongle (yellow,red,white) for the C-31 genie client if it is in stock, you will need to get the component dongle and a component to composite adapter to record to a VCR to avoid 2 problems the first is a message saying your cables are not HD and the second is some HBO and other providers are using HDCP to prevent HD copying.

3 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 12:43:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, all outputs are LIVE simultaneously 

Yes, all outputs are LIVE simultaneously 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 12:52:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

Great peds!  According to shannon, I will need some additional cables to do this without problems.  Can someone please provide more details on the cables noted by shannon (component dongle and a component to composite adapter)?  Proper names and where they can be acquired would be helpful; a link to a website with them would be immensely appreciated.  Are the component dongle and a component to composite adapter noted in addition to the (likely) provided composite dongle (yellow,red,white)?  Thanks again!

Great peds!  According to shannon, I will need some additional cables to do this without problems.  Can someone please provide more details on the cables noted by shannon (component dongle and a component to composite adapter)?  Proper names and where they can be acquired would be helpful; a link to a website with them would be immensely appreciated.  Are the component dongle and a component to composite adapter noted in addition to the (likely) provided composite dongle (yellow,red,white)?  Thanks again!

5 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 1:24:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

In order to record from the client to your VCR, and prevent all of the naggy messages, the best connection is to use the component cable (part number H2510PIN) which ten connect to a component to composite adapter, then you can connect this adapter to your VCR with composite cables.

In order to record from the client to your VCR, and prevent all of the naggy messages, the best connection is to use the component cable (part number H2510PIN) which ten connect to a component to composite adapter, then you can connect this adapter to your VCR with composite cables.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 2:24:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

For the component to composite adapter, do you mean something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=7114&CAWELAID=1329454347&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMTav__H3rMCFcqY4AodcUkAIA ?

I can't seem to find a simple cable that does COMPONENT (YpbPr) to Composite video.  

Could I do the following:

Genie Mini to HDMI to TV

(PLUS)

Genie Mini to H2510PIN cable 

to component/S-Video cable 

(http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023506&p_id=3044&seq=1&format=2#description) 

to S-Video/Composite cable 

(http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SVID2COMPFM-S-Video-Composite-Adapter/dp/B0009EXWQQ) 

to VCR?

This would meet the needs of TV via HDMI and VCR via the A/V output.  Let me know if this would technically work.

Thanks again and again!

For the component to composite adapter, do you mean something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=7114&CAWELAID=1329454347&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMTav__H3rMCFcqY4AodcUkAIA ?

I can't seem to find a simple cable that does COMPONENT (YpbPr) to Composite video.  

Could I do the following:

Genie Mini to HDMI to TV

(PLUS)

Genie Mini to H2510PIN cable 

to component/S-Video cable 

(http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023506&p_id=3044&seq=1&format=2#description) 

to S-Video/Composite cable 

(http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SVID2COMPFM-S-Video-Composite-Adapter/dp/B0009EXWQQ) 

to VCR?

This would meet the needs of TV via HDMI and VCR via the A/V output.  Let me know if this would technically work.

Thanks again and again!

7 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 2:28:09 PM
(0)
Master

monoprice.com, radio shack, amazon have the component to composite adapter and don't forget the cables.

solidsignal.com should have the two dongles if DTV doesn't have the one. The composite dongle is new and in short supply last I heard.

If your vcr has s-video that is a better way to hook it up, you will also need red/white cables for audio.

I don't think you need to change the audio to a mini stereo plug but you are in front of it and can see what you need, you are getting the idea.

I know it looks like an s-video port on the genie client but it is not.

monoprice.com, radio shack, amazon have the component to composite adapter and don't forget the cables.

solidsignal.com should have the two dongles if DTV doesn't have the one. The composite dongle is new and in short supply last I heard.

If your vcr has s-video that is a better way to hook it up, you will also need red/white cables for audio.

I don't think you need to change the audio to a mini stereo plug but you are in front of it and can see what you need, you are getting the idea.

I know it looks like an s-video port on the genie client but it is not.

8 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 2:47:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

the clients DO NOT have S-Video.   so disregard the comment above about S-Video connectivity.  the A/V out port on the clients is a proprietary connection for DirecTV (it is not S-Video)  you link cable (S-Video (MDIN7) to 3-RCA Component Cable for Infocus Projector)is NOT compatible with the clients.  there is no "simple" component to composite converter as this is not that "simple"  there are electronics involved in the conversion.

the component to composite adapter that your linked form monoprice is the right one.

the clients DO NOT have S-Video.   so disregard the comment above about S-Video connectivity.  the A/V out port on the clients is a proprietary connection for DirecTV (it is not S-Video)  you link cable (S-Video (MDIN7) to 3-RCA Component Cable for Infocus Projector)is NOT compatible with the clients.  there is no "simple" component to composite converter as this is not that "simple"  there are electronics involved in the conversion.

the component to composite adapter that your linked form monoprice is the right one.

9 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2012 7:38:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

My crt tv only has an f-type coax connection.  What is needed to connect the mini genie client to the tv?  Will DirecTV provide the device needed to make the connection?

My crt tv only has an f-type coax connection.  What is needed to connect the mini genie client to the tv?  Will DirecTV provide the device needed to make the connection?

10 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2012 7:42:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DirecTV will provide a composite 10PIN cable but you MUST provide the RF modulator 

DirecTV will provide a composite 10PIN cable but you MUST provide the RF modulator 

11 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2012 9:40:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by jakester7676 

Once you have the 10-pin Composite Video  cable (dongle), you can get an RF Modulator at places like Radio Shack, WalMart, etc. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jakester7676 

Once you have the 10-pin Composite Video  cable (dongle), you can get an RF Modulator at places like Radio Shack, WalMart, etc. 

12 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 7:37:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

If I use a 10-pin Composite cable to connect the genie client to an SD TV, will there be any issues with this. There's a post that says there will be an error message on the screen saying it's not an HD cable. Is this correct?

If I use a 10-pin Composite cable to connect the genie client to an SD TV, will there be any issues with this. There's a post that says there will be an error message on the screen saying it's not an HD cable. Is this correct?

13 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 14, 2013 9:09:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by tc3sales 

No, not correct.  you can use the composite cables.

Quote: Originally Posted by tc3sales 

No, not correct.  you can use the composite cables.

14 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2014 12:14:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

Will my VCR double as an RFmodulator?

Will my VCR double as an RFmodulator?

15 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2014 12:23:57 PM
(0)
Professor

Yes

Yes

16 of 17 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2014 3:40:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

17 of 17 (1,211 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments