Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Apr 24, 2014
2:48:46 PM
Are number of tuners allowed based on the SWM8 or the 8-way splitter?

I hope this is not a strange question. 

I just had a Genie installed.  I already have an HR24 DVR receiver.

In total, i now have 7 tuners (5 - Genie, 2 - HR24 DVR).

Technician installed an SWM8 switch and an 8-way splitter (in addition to a Deca unit).  Only 2 ports are being used on the 8-way splitter (so, 6 open ports).

The tech said that with my installation i can have a maximum of 8 tuners with this setup.

I thought about that and asked the tech what happens if i wanted another HR24 DVR, since that would be 2 more tuners for a total of 9 tuners and he said that DTV would send someone out.

I asked the tech to install an SWM16 so that if i did get another receiver they would not have to set up another house call but he said he couldn't.  He said that his "order" by DTV was for an SWM8 and he was not allowed alter the order.

I never stopped to think though whether the limitation of 8 tuners is due to the SWM8 switch or the 8-way splitter (since again only 2 ports are in use) or if BOTH are a factor.  How does this work?

I'm guessing it's due to the SWM8 since it seems to be the brains and a splitter should be just a splitter, but again, this tech is new so it may be both.

Thoughts?

Thanks for allowing my question.

T

I hope this is not a strange question. 

I just had a Genie installed.  I already have an HR24 DVR receiver.

In total, i now have 7 tuners (5 - Genie, 2 - HR24 DVR).

Technician installed an SWM8 switch and an 8-way splitter (in addition to a Deca unit).  Only 2 ports are being used on the 8-way splitter (so, 6 open ports).

The tech said that with my installation i can have a maximum of 8 tuners with this setup.

I thought about that and asked the tech what happens if i wanted another HR24 DVR, since that would be 2 more tuners for a total of 9 tuners and he said that DTV would send someone out.

I asked the tech to install an SWM16 so that if i did get another receiver they would not have to set up another house call but he said he couldn't.  He said that his "order" by DTV was for an SWM8 and he was not allowed alter the order.

I never stopped to think though whether the limitation of 8 tuners is due to the SWM8 switch or the 8-way splitter (since again only 2 ports are in use) or if BOTH are a factor.  How does this work?

I'm guessing it's due to the SWM8 since it seems to be the brains and a splitter should be just a splitter, but again, this tech is new so it may be both.

Thoughts?

Thanks for allowing my question.

T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 24, 2014 4:10:00 PM
(0)
Guru

Correct you have swm8 8tuners

Swm16 16tuners splitters make

No differance

Accepted Solution

Are number of tuners allowed based on the SWM8 or the 8-way splitter?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 24, 2014 4:10:00 PM
(0)
Guru

No differance

No differance

Re: Are number of tuners allowed based on the SWM8 or the 8-way splitter?

2 of 5 (27 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 4:16:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The SWM8 is the controlling factor here, it will support 8 tuners, the splitter is not relevant. The tech used an 8-way splitter because that's what he had, a four way (or even a two-way) could have been used. Unless you have long cable runs, an 8-way is fine. DirecTv won't install an SWM16 unless your CURRENT configuration needs one.

It's unusual for the tech to install an SWM8. A more normal config would be to install an SWM LNB (one cable to the house). Are you sure you have an SWM8 multiswitch?

An SWM16 would need a non-SWM LNB and then four cables to the SWM16 (same if you had an SWM8)

The SWM8 is the controlling factor here, it will support 8 tuners, the splitter is not relevant. The tech used an 8-way splitter because that's what he had, a four way (or even a two-way) could have been used. Unless you have long cable runs, an 8-way is fine. DirecTv won't install an SWM16 unless your CURRENT configuration needs one.

It's unusual for the tech to install an SWM8. A more normal config would be to install an SWM LNB (one cable to the house). Are you sure you have an SWM8 multiswitch?

An SWM16 would need a non-SWM LNB and then four cables to the SWM16 (same if you had an SWM8)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (27 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 4:16:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

the limitation is in the SWM switch, not the splitter.  as a matter of fact, you should be using a 4 way splitter.

the limitation is in the SWM switch, not the splitter.  as a matter of fact, you should be using a 4 way splitter.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (27 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 4:23:52 PM
(0)
Guru

Seems like an opportunity for extra cash missed

You can always get your own off eBay wires up almost exactly the same

Seems like an opportunity for extra cash missed

You can always get your own off eBay wires up almost exactly the same

5 of 5 (27 Views)