Helpful Links

Update on FCC complaint

Teacher

Update on FCC complaint

Hello all,

I filed a complaint with the FCC 2 weeks ago regarding all of the issues myself and others have been having (buffering, errors, downgrade in resolution, etc) and today (2/17) spoke with someone from the technical team.  As my buffering issues and errors have mostly resolved (most likely due to the downgrade in resolution), I pressed about the resolution issue.  They told me that they received a memo yesterday that the resolution and frame rate issues should be resolved by the end of next week.  When I specifically asked she stated, "back to 1080p and 60 fps".  She stated she was also well aware of this problem and didn't try to make any excuses or pretend it wasn't a known issue.  They also provided me with a refund to my credit card for my first month of service that I prepaid for.   Hopefully this information is accurate about the resolution, but I guess only time will tell.    

Message 1 of 19
Scholar

Re: Update on FCC complaint

Wow this would be great news. Does "end of the week" mean today or the end of next week? Either way, good news.

Message 2 of 19
Scholar

I'm still waiting for FCC follow-up. I sure do hope your info is accurate and actually occurs. Why they don't admit it and communicate it to all of their customers is very disheartening and disappointing. I'm sure they feel they would have to refund everyone, even those who don't seem to notice or care.
Message 3 of 19
Highlighted
Scholar

Would be pretty encouraging.  I caved in and bought a month's subscription to Vue last night because I just couldn't take watching sports on 30fps anymore.  Still have my DTVN prepaid service through the end of March though, so hopefully I won't have to have my Vue subscription renew next month.  I prefer DTVN's value and UI.  Now to just get the PQ back to where it was and add some missing features and I'll be a happy customer for a long time.  

It is funny though.  I went from overly supportive of DTVN at first (because I didn't really have many issues and loved the initial PQ) to being really pessimistic.  I really hope this wasn't just them saying something to get off the phone and kick the can a couple weeks.

Message 4 of 19
Teacher

The representative told me by end of next week (so hopefully by 2/24)

Message 5 of 19
Mentor

I talked to the office of the president of DirectV and she confirmed all the issues we have been expirencing.I didn't press her on the fixing of the reslution, but did ask her about teh Roku app. The last chat rep I dealt with inferred that the release was VERY soon.  That could not be confirmed.

I am getting all my fees refunded (two months). 

I'd recommend everyone filling a complaint.

Message 6 of 19
Scholar

I also just got off the phone after my FCC complaint. I can confirm what is said above. They said we should see "some" better picture quality by the end of THIS week, with a full fix to 1080p/60fps by the end of NEXT week.

I too was given a credit for the trouble. Glad we are getting some acknowledgement now and a time range. The direciton of DTVNow agian seems to be going the right way, so that's good news.

Message 7 of 19

We will see if this happens. I have two outstanding FCC complaints with one two weeks out and no call. I am definately getting a refund for this month.  

Message 8 of 19

I figured that the streams were originally in 1080p. I did not find out about the advanced option until recently. By that time most streams were 560p/30fps and a few were still 720p. I can only deduct that they initially downgraded to 720p and when that did not fix the streaming issues they decided to downgrade further. Funny though Pam from the office of president insisted to me that their network was undercapacity and they had a lot of room for more customers. Who knows what was going on since they do not give information on such issues.

Message 9 of 19
Scholar

I am finally seeing some movement in the right direction this morning. I tuned to ESPN and noticed I could read the bottom line scroll again! I'm on a Fire Stick and still have 540p, but 60fps has returned. Haven't checked every channel yet, but noticed those who have news scrolls had 60fps. ESPN, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC all looked so much better. There may be more, but I am at least happy to see something change for the better. Now if we can keep the pressure on maybe 720 or 1080p may return sometime soon.
Tags (2)
Message 10 of 19

I figured that the streams were originally in 1080p. I did not find out about the advanced option until recently. By that time most streams were 560p/30fps and a few were still 720p. I can only deduct that they initially downgraded to 720p and when that did not fix the streaming issues they decided to downgrade further. Funny though Pam from the office of president insisted to me that their network was undercapacity and they had a lot of room for more customers. Who knows what was going on since they do not give information on such issues.

Message 11 of 19
Guru

Live streams were never 1080p only some on demand. 720p is fine. Having 1080p won't make a difference.
Message 12 of 19

I agree. 720p would be fine with me.  I checked the bitrate and resolution on Batman vs Superman and that was 1080p and bitrate of 8Mbps.  I suspect that the streams I was seeing before the downgrade were around that number because the PQ was better then Vue which I get 4.7-5.1Mbps. Of course it doesn't matter if the buffering cannot be corrected.

Message 13 of 19

Well it is now Sunday and streams on my firetv devices are still 560p/60f. Chat rep stated there is still no Eta on the return. I had little faith that the information that was given to the poster was truthful.
Message 14 of 19
Teacher

I am getting 720p/60 on most channels with an average bit rate of 6.2 Mbps on my Apple TV 4.  I found this real time information by plugging my ATV into my Mac with a USB C to A cable.  I then opened up Xcode and then the Developer options showed up on my ATV.  I turned on the "Playback HUD" option to show this information.  I hope they will eventually stream in 1080i for the networks that support them.  When I tweeted DirecTV Now about it, their response was "Hi Adam! See section 2.3 on Video Resolution: http://bit.ly/2gEQAaO 

IMG_1555.jpg

Message 15 of 19
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

CBS, CW, Showtime, PopTV - all coming soon to DIRECTV NOW. Learn More!Official Press Release.

AUDIENCE Network’s Mr. Mercedes pilot episodes available for free. Access Here!

Additional Support