Ask a question

Posted Jan 16, 2013
    2:21:48 PM
    View profile
    Why do I hear a stuttered dial tone on my phone when I pick it up to make a call?

Every time I pick up my phone the dial tone sounds like a stutter for a few seconds then returns to normal. Why does it do that?

(0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Jan 16, 2013 4:57:19 PM
    (0)
    AT&T U-verse

The stuttered dial tone is your message waiting indicator letting you know you have an unheard message. If you do not use the U-verse voicemail you need to enable your voicemail to delete any messages that are in your mailbox that you may not have been aware of then disable your voicemail again. For more information refer to Message Waiting Indicator

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    Accepted Solution

Why do I hear a stuttered dial tone on my phone when I pick it up to make a call?

2 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (2)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Jan 16, 2013 4:57:19 PM
    (0)
    AT&T U-verse

The stuttered dial tone is your message waiting indicator letting you know you have an unheard message. If you do not use the U-verse voicemail you need to enable your voicemail to delete any messages that are in your mailbox that you may not have been aware of then disable your voicemail again. For more information refer to Message Waiting Indicator

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Why do I hear a stuttered dial tone on my phone when I pick it up to make a call?

2 of 3 (3,046 Views)
    Solution
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 27, 2014 4:21:35 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

Yea!  

I finally got rid of my dial tone issue also after 2 months of beep, beep, beep , and finally a dial tone.

Thanks for the info.  I thought I had a line problem.

Re: Why do I hear a stuttered dial tone on my phone when I pick it up to make a call?

3 of 3 (2,415 Views)