kyousif's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Tuesday, February 18th, 2014 6:24 PM

My phone issues

Hello,

I have 2 lines VOIP ported over from Charter. Initially Charter would not release the numbers because of an issue over AT&T using my 5 digit zipcode and Charter using my 5 digit + 4 zipcode. Anyways I was given 2 temporary numbers. Port went through finally. I setup my voicemail line 1 from the phone. I cannot access my voicemail from online. It only shows my fax number. I have been chatting with online tech support for the last week. They keep escalating the problem then they say its fixed and its not and they keep letting me go. Initially I saw my temporary numbers and once they clicked off it's been a nightmare. Other then this I am loving Uverse TV and Internet. I decided to call ATT so Im on the phone right now trying to fix this.

Also I can send faxes I just haven't been able to receive a fax cause of a NOISE ERROR

Your help and guidance appreciated. Thanks

Ken

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

kyousif - The NVG589 should be fed directly from the NID & not connect to any other house wiring. You should not need a filter because you do not have POTS.

It does sound like you are connected correctly. However, I believe you have to rule it out by testing just connected to the RG. It is possible that the house wiring is still connected to the outside (like it was with POTS). Perhaps something changed out there that cases a problem.

If it works with just the RG, you have to track down what is wrong with the house wiring. First thing is not to let it go back to the NID.

You get dial tone, no problem on the two single line jacks?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Im still on the phone at 45 minutes and for some reason my account only registers my fax number on there end as well argh argh argh. Tech support online remote accessed my computer and tried to fix it from my end only made things worse made me change my password couldnt get my emails they added an addtional access id which may have superseded my access id argh argh argh

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

kyousif - I suppose there are a lot of possible causes. One thing you can check is the connection of your two lines. Sounds like you use one for talking and one for FAX. These two appear at the RG on the tel 1/2 jack. The first line is on the two center prongs and the second line is on the two outer prongs. This should be standard on all connecting devices.

If you connect just a phone or FAX it will use the two center prongs. If you want to separate the two lines physically, you need a two line splitter. This takes the single wire from the RG and places each line on the center prongs of the two jacks. This allows a standard cord to feed individual devices on the center prongs.

If you cross inner/outer you may get the noise problem.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Thank You for the response. My setup is a direct line 1 & 2 backfeed from NVG589 to the whole house then I have a 2 line jack bisquit near my fax machine that has a line 1 jack on top and a line 2 jack on bottom with a phone line connected on top and fax connected on bottom.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

I was wondering if i needed a dsl filter on my fax line but the problem could be from the other persons phone but they have never had that problem except with me. 1 hour 13 minutes still with tech support

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Well after 1 week of numerous contacts and several hours chatting with online tech support and 1 hour and 25 minutes on the phone right now I have a ticket number 1**** to hopefully have this issue resolved in 24-48 hours. I am very dissappointed in the tech support I have received. I should have come to the forums here first.

[edited for privacy]

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

Both of my issues resolved. Yay! Tech support fixed my issue with my voicemail online. Direct connect with 2 line splitter to RG solved the issue. Thank You...

Ken
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.