Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Mar 23, 2014
9:44:16 AM
View profile
U-verse Wireless TV receiver interferring with garage door opener.

I had a U-verse wireless TV receiver recently installed in my residence.  The location was a wall that had the garage on the other side.  When the wireless receiver was installed the garage door remotes, wireless keypad, and homelink in the vehicles stopped opening/closing the garage door.  When I disconnect (unplugged) the U-verse receiver everything works fine.  I have since moved the wireless receiver to another part of my residence and everything works but does anyone know of a solution so I can have the receiver in the room next to the garage?

I had a U-verse wireless TV receiver recently installed in my residence.  The location was a wall that had the garage on the other side.  When the wireless receiver was installed the garage door remotes, wireless keypad, and homelink in the vehicles stopped opening/closing the garage door.  When I disconnect (unplugged) the U-verse receiver everything works fine.  I have since moved the wireless receiver to another part of my residence and everything works but does anyone know of a solution so I can have the receiver in the room next to the garage?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 23, 2014 9:29:44 PM
(0)
Employee
The wireless receiver operates in the 5ghz range, suspect your garage equipment does too.
Basically the same issues when several commercial products operating in the 2.4ghz range interfering with each other.

An interesting article on 2.4 from 2010 would apply today to 5ghz devices as manufactures move from one crowded source to less crowded, as more move becomes crowded creating interference.

The only real solutions is eliminate by hard wiring or blocking between spaces.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

U-verse Wireless TV receiver interferring with garage door opener.

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 23, 2014 11:17:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Smokeater#69 - First choice would be wired receiver. Second try connection via powerline adapters.

See if it can be determined if the STB is too hot - the signal is too strong. Do you have a second one to try?

Cover the common wall on both sides with metal or metal screen grounded as an RF barrier. Put a directional antenna on the door opener.

Can you place the receiver away from the garage wall & have a longer connection to the TV?
Smokeater#69 - First choice would be wired receiver. Second try connection via powerline adapters.

See if it can be determined if the STB is too hot - the signal is too strong. Do you have a second one to try?

Cover the common wall on both sides with metal or metal screen grounded as an RF barrier. Put a directional antenna on the door opener.

Can you place the receiver away from the garage wall & have a longer connection to the TV?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: U-verse Wireless TV receiver interferring with garage door opener.

2 of 3 (1,145 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 23, 2014 9:29:44 PM
(0)
Employee
The wireless receiver operates in the 5ghz range, suspect your garage equipment does too.
Basically the same issues when several commercial products operating in the 2.4ghz range interfering with each other.

An interesting article on 2.4 from 2010 would apply today to 5ghz devices as manufactures move from one crowded source to less crowded, as more move becomes crowded creating interference.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: U-verse Wireless TV receiver interferring with garage door opener.

3 of 3 (1,119 Views)
Solution