jammer99's profile

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

Sunday, October 24th, 2010 6:06 PM

Self-Install - Backfeed to existing phone circuit?

I'm thinking about moving from AT&T DSL to Uverse Internet & Voice using the self-install option which evidently gets you a 2Wire 3600HGV RG.  An AT&T instruction seems to indicate that you cannot connect all the phone jacks in your house unless you have Uverse TV also.  That doesn't make sense to me and I'm thinking they dummied down the instructions because some people may not be comfortable messing with their internal phone wiring.  I would think if you disconnected the existing phone circuit at the NID and ran a direct cable from the NID to the RG/modem, and then plugged the phone output on the RG into a phone jack, all the phone jacks in the house should be connected.  Can anyone confirm this works?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

13 years ago

The instructions from the OP just assumes you have some flavor of Uverse already and the original installer fed the RG with coax from the NID/NIB, which is a ridiculous assumption to make on AT&T's part. Any other type of Uverse installation, or no existing Uverse at all, would definitely make these a much more complicated self-install, and not suited for the average subscriber. That being said I'll try to give some instructions for this.

Note: You will need to do a little manual work using basic hand tools (screwdrivers, wire cutters/strippers). You will also need a phone line splitter like this (around $5.00)http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_00324828000P. You should be able to find this at local hardware and home improvement stores as well.

Your basic phone wiring in your house normally consists of a cable with 4 seperate wires inside it. These will more than likely be red, green, yellow, and black. Your wiring may differ (different colors or more wires in side the cable) but don't panic. Basic POTS phone and ADSL/VDSL only require 2 of those wires (normally the red and green). To determine this you will need to open the NID/NIB and check which 2 wires are used and you should open up the wall jack as well to verify that it is the same wiring inside the house (also make sure that the yellow and black wires are connected to the wall jack you intend to use for the RG). If your wiring is just the 4 conducter like I described (red and green being used) just swap the red and green wires connected in the NID/NIB with the yellow and black wires and close it up. Then, inside you would plug the line splitter into the wall jack. Next, plug a phone cord into the L2 socket on the splitter and into the "DATA" port on the RG. Next, plug a phone cord into the L1 socket on the splitter and into the "PHONE1" port on the RG. Next plug your phones into any wall jack in the house and you should be good to go.

Note: If you had regular ADSL before this, make sure to remove any of the DSL filters you have plugged into the wall jacks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

As far as I know, self-installs using a 3600HGV are for Internet only.  If you also want VOIP (U-Voice), that has to be a technician install and uses a 3800HGV-B.

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for response. I've had both the website and CS say that the Internet+UVoice is now available as a self-install so it might be a new thing which is why I'm having difficulty finding an answer and I'm not always sure I can trust the CS reps on this.  Looking for anyone who has done this....

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

The 3600HGV does have VOIP capability, but they have not used that in the past.  If they're now allowing self-installs for VOIP, that indeed is new.

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Is there any reason to believe the Voice interface on the 3600 is any different than the 3800?  I'm not real clear on it, but I thought they both convert VOIP to be compatible with a typical analog phone network and I would assume both would successfully connect to the entire circuit through one jack as long as the phone circuit was disconnected at the NID.  But, that's just a guess at this point.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

They do have a self install kit for VOIP service http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB408591.

I have a 3800 series RG and my service was installed by a tech a year and a half ago and is backfed through the house, I can't see the 3600 series being any different. I have a line running from Phone1 on the back of the RG to one of the phone wall plates which then backfeeds through the house, works fine. Since mine was not a self install, I can't comment on what needs to be done at the NID, but I'm guessing it might just involve disconnecting a couple of wires.

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm handy with the wiring and I've already wired a homerun Cat5e cable from the NID to the spot I have set aside for the RG.  I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something unique about the 3600 RG that made it difficult to reconnect the phone circuit.  The instructions were sort of a head scratcher but your comment about the assumption made for those instructions makes sense.  Should be no problem connecting this if I ever get it.  My first attempt at ordering the self-install kit online was a comedy of errors from AT&T and I ended up cancelling the order because they couldn't get it right.  

• 

25.7K Messages

13 years ago

@Computer-Joe wrote:

The instructions from the OP just assumes you have some flavor of Uverse already and the original installer fed the RG with coax from the NID/NIB, which is a ridiculous assumption to make on AT&T's part. Any other type of Uverse installation, or no existing Uverse at all, would definitely make these a much more complicated self-install, and not suited for the average subscriber. That being said I'll try to give some instructions for this.

Note: You will need to do a little manual work using basic hand tools (screwdrivers, wire cutters/strippers). You will also need a phone line splitter like this (around $5.00)http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_00324828000P. You should be able to find this at local hardware and home improvement stores as well.

Your basic phone wiring in your house normally consists of a cable with 4 seperate wires inside it. These will more than likely be red, green, yellow, and black. Your wiring may differ (different colors or more wires in side the cable) but don't panic. Basic POTS phone and ADSL/VDSL only require 2 of those wires (normally the red and green). To determine this you will need to open the NID/NIB and check which 2 wires are used and you should open up the wall jack as well to verify that it is the same wiring inside the house (also make sure that the yellow and black wires are connected to the wall jack you intend to use for the RG). If your wiring is just the 4 conducter like I described (red and green being used) just swap the red and green wires connected in the NID/NIB with the yellow and black wires and close it up. Then, inside you would plug the line splitter into the wall jack. Next, plug a phone cord into the L2 socket on the splitter and into the "DATA" port on the RG. Next, plug a phone cord into the L1 socket on the splitter and into the "PHONE1" port on the RG. Next plug your phones into any wall jack in the house and you should be good to go.

FWIW: ATT did my entire install for my U-verse, in the room with the "RG" due to the computer being on the opposite end of the room as the jack, we now have a white cat 5 type cable running across our carpet since the tech would not go into our attic and drop another phone line on the correct wall.  I have an apt with our electrical to come out and make this drop for us but was considering doing the dop my self until I look at the phone jack which now has a white hood like cover on the wall plate and looks to be two outlets; one for the phone and one for the internet? I assume the wiring inside the phone jack can't be that complicated? 

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

I should probably report back on this just in case it helps anyone in the future.  I've reported on my trials on the self-install in the Internet section, but regarding backfeeding the Uverse Voice ouput from the RG into a phone jack and having it active on all house phone jacks, I can report that it does work as was suggested earlier in the thread.  Only caveat is how you run the incoming Uverse signal to the RG. In my case, i ran a Cat5e cable directly to the RG location from the NID and used that to hook up to the wire pair carrying the Uverse input.  Then I disconnected my outside DSL filter to isolate the orignal landline circuit from the new Uverse circuit.  When I backfed the Uverse voice output to a jack on the old landline circuit, I had phone service throughout the house.  Main point is that you need to run the Uverse input in on a different pair somehow from your existing phone pair.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

I've been going through an instll like this recently and thought I might add a few comments to help users out as well...  If your hous already has a standard Cat3 (4 conductor phone wire) you can use that to easily feed your VDSL signal into your house and backfeed the rest of the house from there.  When you connect the VDSL pair in the NID use the "second line" pair in your original house wiring, disconnecting the "first line" pair at the NID.  For my house the first line pair was "blue" and the second line was "orange".  If there was only 1 pair of each color at the NID then the house lines were in series.  If there are more pairs, you have to do alittle more work at the NID to connect all the pairs from the first line, and know which pair goes to the jack you want for the RG on the second line wires.  Go to the outlet that you want to connect your RG at and use a simple 2 line splitter, feeding line 2 to the RG in, and line 1 from the Phone 1 out on the back of the RG.  If your house phones are in series, then the RG will easily feed signal to all of them,  and if they are in parallel, then the connections you made at the NID still allow you to back feed into the house.

I had 2 different techs out to my house during my "self install" process, and they both agree that AT&T probably shouldn't offer the self-install option.  The second tech was the one who suggested using the splitter idea.  He was also the one who suggested (and wired) the connection of the 5 pairs that were fed into my NID (all 5 phone jacks were in parallel).  I had a home run Cat5e cable from my NID to a punchdown in my basement, so I just used one of those pairs to run to one of the 2 telephone ports on the new wall plate I mounted near where my RG is located.  The second port on that wall plate took the Phone 1 out of the RG and punched it down to a pair that ran back to the old "Line 1" setup in the NID.  This back fed a clean run from the RG to the NID where it then fed directly to each of the other 5 wall ports in my house.

Now, I make it sound easy, and in reality for someone who has experience with wiring phone & networks, it was, but I had so many othe rissues with my install process that I would strongly recommend that you pay for a technician install rather than trying to save a few bucks.  My install was scheduled to be complete at 8:00pm two days ago, and as of now I don't expect everything to be complete until a week after the original date.  They had problems porting my AT&T POTS voice line to U-Verse voice, and ended-up having to put in a second order for that which is why there is the additional week delay.  As of now, my internet works great, I can make calls, I can receive voice mail, but I can't receive any calls on my VOIP line as the porting is still "in progress".  The voice line issues impacted my internet activation so I was unable to get that activated and going until 36 hours after my initial scheduled date/time.  As I said, my voice service is an issue, but it has been coming along slowly since this morning.  The bigger problem was that they disconnected the POTS service as of the initial U-Verse installation date, so I was without home phone service for those 36 hours as well.  Like I said elsewhere, my install was a very complex install, so I'm not too surprised that it had problems, but they came at a bad time for me for many personal reasons...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.