For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
kmd367's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2016 7:54 PM

Codo Community Contracting with AT&T

Our condo community recently contracted with AT&T for TV/Internet service. Installation has not taken place yet.Heres what is included:

High Definition TV Service, 12 Meg Internet. Equipment includes 1 wired HD Box, 1
Wireless HD Box, whole house DVR, and cable modem with built in wireless router .

Condos have 1 incoming phone jack in each of the 2 bedrooms. There is also a jack in the kitchen. No one wants equipment in the kitchen.

We ASSUME the wired HD Box will attach to a phone jack in one of the bedrooms and transmit wirelessly to the wireless HD box in the livingroom by the TV (some codo residents have only 1 TV).  We also assume the wireless box attaches to the TV via an HDMI cable? We're unsure about the DVR and Blue-Ray players.

Board of Directors has been asked for guidance on this and tells us to wait for installers. We want to be prepared. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Installation beginning next month (we think).

Employee

• 

78 Messages

8 years ago

In a situation like that, a typical install would be done with the modem and DVR being setup in one of the bedrooms, the 2nd tv would be the wifi box setup in the main living room or other bedroom. The DVR is shared between the two tvs. The phone jack is only used for the Modem/Gateway. Hope that helps clear things up, If not let me know I will try to clarify more

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for your reply.  A few more questions:

How about this scenerio, which happens to be mine:  I have only one TV and it is in the livingroom on a heavy entertainment center. No phone jack is in that room. We have Comcast right now until the AT&T installation takes place (March or April). Although everything now comes in  via a cable.

I have a TV, DVR (which serves as the box), wireless router and Blue-Ray on the entertainment center. Again, no jack inthe room. The modem will be setup (I hope) in the spare bedroom where there is a phone jack (and hopefully, it works since it hasnt been used in years).  But you mentioned the DVR being installed with the modem and Im wondering how the remote ccommuiates with the DVR if its in the bedroom.

Im wondering if it would be easier to have a jack installed by the entertainment center. Thanks for much for your info. Again, nothing has been explained to us--so we're knee-deep in Googling AT&T installation instructions etc to find out what we need prior to installer showing up.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@kmd367 - Any chance you can get a look at the contract?

You have been focusing on the way(s) it can be done. I am wondering if getting it done is going to become an issue.

I would think there is no issue that there will be individual charges for each unit for an install. The install is "included" in the contract. So, the possible conflict is that att has the contract & wants to "install" with as little effort as possible. The unit owners want a "perfect install". The co-op board wants to do as little as they can get away with.

Does the contract address how to negotiate possible connection methods & escalate if agreement cannot be reached. From another "outsiders" perspective, I believe it is very difficult to avoid surface wiring on such an install.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

Assuming, as @aviewer says, the condo wants the simplest (and quickest) install available, it would probably be modem at (BR) phone jack, DVR wired to modem, extra (wireless) box in LR.

The DVR must be wired to modem and that modem is wired via phone jack.  If you're getting a wireless box in the deal, problem solve.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Hi and thanks for your reply. BOD would never give us the contract to read. Thats why we are so in the dark.  I asked for info and was told to wait for installer. Another resident asked for info from  BOD Pres. and as a result had a jack installed ($160) behind his entertainment ctr.

We doubt BOD intends to be billed for all types of wiring and jacks.

Thanks anyway

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, Skeeterintexas..we are getting both a wired and wireless box.

Hopefully, its as simple as you have outlined!! Thanks

Employee

• 

78 Messages

8 years ago

With out being in your exact situation, we as techs can only provide what we have done. I have been in condo units with attic access and been able to run new lines that are completly hidden and others with no access having to reuse what was there. I guess it depends on how the building is laid out and what the tech has access and is willing to do without causing an damage.

Also might want to ask people in charge how things will be handled if the lines are not in usable shape and new lines need to be run as typical pratice in units such as yours is we do drill through outside walls or place lines on the outside that are visible.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Skeeter...is the problem also solved for people with 2 and 3 TVs? Wouldnt those devices have to be connected to the wired or wireless boxes??

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

@kmd367 wrote:

Skeeter...is the problem also solved for people with 2 and 3 TVs? Wouldnt those devices have to be connected to the wired or wireless boxes??

1. Only 2 wireless boxes to a customer.  No exceptions.

2. The DVR is wired directly to the RG and to a TV.

If a resident has 2 TVs, one has the DVR attached (wired) and one has a wireless.

If a resident has 3 TVs, one has the DVR attached (wired) and TWO have wireless boxes.

Any thing over 3 TVs would required wired additional STBs.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.