Need help connecting your router?
gammy999's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, April 25th, 2013 1:32 PM

installing mulitple 3801hgv for better wireless

I have an older house and I have tried all the tricks to improve wireless from my Residential Gateway (3801hgv).

Another friend has the i38hg and plugs "just" into his phone lines and it is plug play and he has 3 around the house for coverage.

On myrouter.JPG see attachment...I have a GREEN dsl line from the outside and a phone line....can I install a second 3801hgv and just plug it into a phone jack?  Looking for ideas on better reception with this model..tks

1 Attachment

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

gammy999 - STB is Set Top Box - tunes channels, etc. for display on TV. May be fed COAX or cat5 or new wireless versions.

When cat5 is used it is plugged in to the network jack on the STB. When connected COAX the network jack is available for connecting other devices. It is not supported officially, but many have done it for years. If you are watching Roku, you are not watching U-verse, so, there is no conflict. But, it works even with the TV on U-verse.

Best not to do it with DVR because that supports the whole house TV. Move the DVR to the least used TV - preferably cat5 connection to the RG.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Guess I am inpatient...but is there a good, easy option to extend the wireless 3801hgv signal? again, here is an article on how to do this with the i38hg...need help please: http://cingular.lithium.com/t5/Setup-and-Self-Install/Purchase-Additional-2Wire-i38HG-Units/td-p/3191743

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

No a second 3801 won't help nor would it be possible for a second one to connect on the same vdsl line. You can use the i38hg on a 3801 but they don't operate the same as they do on an INID. On an INID the i38hg used the phone and HPNA over twisted pair to communicate. That is why is is possible for them to communicate using the same phone line. If you do use a i38hg to extend wireless you'll actually have to feed it with an ethernet connection and not a phone line. However, the same thing can be accomplished by using a run of the mill router fed on ethernet from the 3801.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks jpu0822...basically the I38G and the 3801 use a different way (phone/vdsl) of pushing the signal from what I read.

I do not have the option of running a cat 5 from my 3801 (last resort) to say another router or to the actual device (ROKU) I am trying to set up..tough area....So, is there a recommendation for say a wireless repeater or Extender to Amplify the 3801 signal? i.e.  as a crow flys the 3801 (downstairs) and Roku (upstairs) are about 53ft apart...again, 1880 home, tile, interesting stuff in the walls...so, I can put a repeater/extender at least anywahere from 10-30 ft from the 8801...just looking at ideas that dont require cabling/wiring or terrible changes to the 3801 setup..thanks in advance!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

gammy999 - I see a coax cable on the 3801. Are TVs - specifically the one by the Roku, connected by this coax?
Is the Roku what you are trying to connect? Connect the Roku to the network jack on the adjacent STB that is fed by coax.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I would have to agree with him on this one. That would be the easiest way to connect your Roku. If there isn't a STB fed on coax near that TV the next easiest option would probably be to purchase powerline network adapters and use those instead.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

aviewer...Help me out here...the 3801 is downstairs....the tv  (with roku) is upstairs...and yes the main coax from "wiring closet" feeds all tv's.....STB...I may have to google....

also, for the other post..I use the PLUG LINK but get poor 5mb speed for whatever reason...house was re-wired 10yrs ago..not sure why....playing around....

thanks for the input...help me out aviewer

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

wow...such a simple solution that WORKS...dang..I am a computer guy and never thought to look at the back of my dvr receiver (yup...dvr is upstairs)...but, I tested it..and it will record, playback, and watch say NETFLIX.

As of now I have not CUT everything out...I have locals with HD through 3 receivers and kept my DVR....so, just playing around....you see any issues with it?  Also, I pay for 12mb and typically get 11mb...is it worth the price to pay for higher bandwidth?  It's just my wife and me...and daughter when home from COLLEGE...so, we typically watch "1" tv together...againTHANKS.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

gammy999 - The only issue is if you have any problems, for any reason, you disconnect it & do not mention it to a tech because they will blame it for your problem instead of looking further.

If you can move the DVR to a TV that can be fed cat5 it will work "better". Also, if you get 4 HD you can only record/watch 3 on the DVR. Connecting it to the least used DVRs minimizes the possibility of conflict.

Of course, if you do not have a problem you do not need to change.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.