Need help connecting your router?
krbiwa's profile

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, August 20th, 2013 5:42 PM

Why won't older laptop connect?

My older laptop will not connect to the U-verse internet. I have no problem with any other system & it was working fine through Roadrunner minutes before the change. Our other laptop, smartphones, etc. all work.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi krbiwa,

We apologize about the inconveniences. With our technicians, we train them as much as possible, and they know the ins and outs of AT&T products and have a well versed knowledge in basic wireless connections. But as beebeesa stated, they are not able to figure out all issues, because training someone to handle all products and situations that are not AT&T products is something that we try our best to do, but obviously, cannot accomplish. That is where our community comes in. Within the community, we have people that have encountered all types of issues, and hopefully, with our collective efforts, we will be able to get this issue resolved for you.

I was able to remotely login to your router and see that the settings are still on WPA2. One other thing to try to do is change the SSID (Wireless network name) and then turn the security off (this will only be temporary). From there, see if your laptop can connect. If so, it is an issue with your older laptop connecting to the more enhanced wireless security. This is actually pretty common. I have a lower setting because I have someone in our family that has an older gaming console that will not connect properly via WPA2. Let us know how it goes. If this works, I would try changing the security settings to WEP-Open and change the SSID and password.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your help. That works, but my daughter says it leaves us without security, so I guess it doesn't really work.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Finally up and working. Thank you so much. We could not have done this without your help.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

That is great to hear! I am glad everything is working.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Yep, this service has screwed my phone and all so bad.    Att sucks!!!!!!!

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have the same problem. My newer computers all connected to UVerse fine. Macbook Pro, SurfacePro 6, all my phones and tablets, even my older MG8120 printer had no problems. But my older laptops would not. I have an HP 15 running Windows 8.1 and a Lenovo 2436CTO running Windows 7, and neither can see the network. I ended up plugging my old wifi router into the UVerse router, and now those machines can connect to the old router. 

FYI for anyone else trying this, make sure the two wifi routers are a long distance from each other, or their antennas will interfere and you'll get dropped signal or slow wifi. I have some rooms in my house wired for ethernet, so I just plugged it in far away from the UVerse router. 

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.