Ask a question

Highlighted
    Posted Aug 20, 2013
    10:42:02 AM
    View profile
    Why won't older laptop connect?

My older laptop will not connect to the U-verse internet. I have no problem with any other system & it was working fine through Roadrunner minutes before the change. Our other laptop, smartphones, etc. all work.

(0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Aug 21, 2013 8:05:12 PM
    (0)
    Community Support

Were you able to test it with WEP-OPEN. With that, I would suggest changing the SSID so you have a new unique one and creating a customer password. With WEP-OPEN you have to choose a 10 digit number. That will allow for a secure connection, and I am hoping this will resolve your issue. It worked at my house. Smiley Happy

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    Accepted Solution

Why won't older laptop connect?

15 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (15)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2013 11:50:55 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Re you trying to connect wireless or hardwired?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why won't older laptop connect?

2 of 16 (1,123 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2013 11:57:00 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Tutor

Everything here is wireless.

3 of 16 (1,123 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2013 2:02:13 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Take a look at one of these for instructions that fits your operating system:

Windows 8 Wireless Setup

Windows 7 Wireless Setup

XP Wireless Setup

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 16 (1,123 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 20, 2013 2:47:17 PM
    (0)
    Community Support

Also, another thing that might be causing the problem is the wireless security type. We get these issues with older devices that cannot connect, because by default, we use WPA/WPA2 because of the enhanced security, but some other devices do not have the network cards/drivers that can support that security and work with WEP, which is still the most common used one.

This article will help with verifying your security settings:

Verifying My Wireless Security Settings

Also, you can change the settings once you login to your U-verse modem, but keep in mind if you change it, you will have to setup all your devices once again.

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
    *I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 16 (1,123 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2013 8:54:25 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Tutor

Thanks for the info but tried both and nothing is working. Guess I'll have to get someone out here again. They were completely clueless last time and were supposed to come again on Monday but no-show. Not the best customer service.

6 of 16 (1,125 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2013 9:18:17 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

If your talking about getting a U-verse tech back out I don't think that's going to happen.  The techs are not responsible for getting all of your devices working on the internet but simply to make the internet function, which it is, according to you.

Maybe one of the community managers will chime in with an idea but I don't think it will be favorable.

7 of 16 (1,125 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2013 9:33:26 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Tutor

Good to know. Now I'm stuck with a worse company than Time Warner. Didn't think that was possible. Well I am a big mouth so I'll tell the world and save others from the same fate. Thanks for your help.

8 of 16 (1,125 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2013 9:39:23 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

AT&T does have a pay service called Connect Tech that can help get you going.  I just wanted to let you know that the U-verse techs are not responsible to get all of your devices connected and running.  No internet provider's techs are responsible for that.  They would need a whole lot more certifications to accomplish that.  If the techs had those certifications they darn sure wouldn't be installing the internet they would be IT managers somewhere.

Here is the Connect Tech site: ConnecTech Home

9 of 16 (1,125 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2013 10:00:25 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Tutor

My issue is that now I have to spend even more money when my internet was working just fine on Roadrunner. I do, though, appreciate your help.

10 of 16 (1,125 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2013 10:13:59 AM
    (0)
    Community Support

Hi krbiwa,

We apologize about the inconveniences. With our technicians, we train them as much as possible, and they know the ins and outs of AT&T products and have a well versed knowledge in basic wireless connections. But as beebeesa stated, they are not able to figure out all issues, because training someone to handle all products and situations that are not AT&T products is something that we try our best to do, but obviously, cannot accomplish. That is where our community comes in. Within the community, we have people that have encountered all types of issues, and hopefully, with our collective efforts, we will be able to get this issue resolved for you.

I was able to remotely login to your router and see that the settings are still on WPA2. One other thing to try to do is change the SSID (Wireless network name) and then turn the security off (this will only be temporary). From there, see if your laptop can connect. If so, it is an issue with your older laptop connecting to the more enhanced wireless security. This is actually pretty common. I have a lower setting because I have someone in our family that has an older gaming console that will not connect properly via WPA2. Let us know how it goes. If this works, I would try changing the security settings to WEP-Open and change the SSID and password.

11 of 16 (1,125 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 21, 2013 5:40:38 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Tutor

Thanks for your help. That works, but my daughter says it leaves us without security, so I guess it doesn't really work.

12 of 16 (1,125 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Aug 21, 2013 8:05:12 PM
    (0)
    Community Support

Were you able to test it with WEP-OPEN. With that, I would suggest changing the SSID so you have a new unique one and creating a customer password. With WEP-OPEN you have to choose a 10 digit number. That will allow for a secure connection, and I am hoping this will resolve your issue. It worked at my house. Smiley Happy

13 of 16 (1,125 Views)
    Solution
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2013 9:16:03 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Tutor

Finally up and working. Thank you so much. We could not have done this without your help.

14 of 16 (1,125 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 22, 2013 11:38:57 AM
    (0)
    Community Support

That is great to hear! I am glad everything is working.

15 of 16 (1,125 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 10, 2014 7:49:18 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Yep, this service has screwed my phone and all so bad.    Att sucks!!!!!!!

16 of 16 (575 Views)